Doing cams and front structure
10-13-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
RE: Doing cams and front structure
oops for got to do the reply thing , but my comment was to u hammerhead :)
replyreply
10-14-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
(10-13-2016 )RPM1 Wrote:  oops for got to do the reply thing , but my comment was to u hammerhead :)

The sound I am hearing that I wait to ease before idling up to 900 is piston skirt slap. If it was cam chatter, it would take longer than a minute or so to go away, and would never really go away. The sounds is crisper in my ISX than my friends BCIII with aluminum pistons, but it's the same sound.
It almost sounds like pre-detonation. I have had concerns of a possible leaking injector causing it, but they passed the leak test last time I checked them. That was about 5 months ago, so it's about time to test them again. Member 8042 wants to check his injectors as well, and we had hoped he was going to get thru town while I was home so we could check both of ours at the same time.
When I preheat the coolant by running my APU it doesn't slap.
In my drag racing days I used to use electric warming blankets on the cilynders (finless air cooled H-D motor) in the mornings to prewarm the aluminum pistons to control it.

I am by no means an expert in anything ISX, and I personally have NOT witnessed the bearing washout as described in my previous post, but I certainly trust the individual that told me about it. I haven't yet had time to do more research into the matter, just doing my part to pass along info to Brock, an active info contributing member that just did a lot of work and I would hope someone would do, and has done the same for me...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I want to get a apu instead of just my webastos because I want to run a relay and wire a oil pan heater in with the coolant heater timer.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(10-14-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(10-13-2016 )RPM1 Wrote:  oops for got to do the reply thing , but my comment was to u hammerhead :)

It's my understanding with the one pice monotherm piston witch r all steel they went to less clearance piston cylinder , I highly dough your hearing skirt slap possibly some form of pre or even late detonating as the whole engine is cold and takes few mns to warm up combustion chamber for a better burn ,all though I would think the ecm would comfinsate for that . Just a thought

The sound I am hearing that I wait to ease before idling up to 900 is piston skirt slap. If it was cam chatter, it would take longer than a minute or so to go away, and would never really go away. The sounds is crisper in my ISX than my friends BCIII with aluminum pistons, but it's the same sound.
It almost sounds like pre-detonation. I have had concerns of a possible leaking injector causing it, but they passed the leak test last time I checked them. That was about 5 months ago, so it's about time to test them again. Member 8042 wants to check his injectors as well, and we had hoped he was going to get thru town while I was home so we could check both of ours at the same time.
When I preheat the coolant by running my APU it doesn't slap.
In my drag racing days I used to use electric warming blankets on the cilynders (finless air cooled H-D motor) in the mornings to prewarm the aluminum pistons to control it.

I am by no means an expert in anything ISX, and I personally have NOT witnessed the bearing washout as described in my previous post, but I certainly trust the individual that told me about it. I haven't yet had time to do more research into the matter, just doing my part to pass along info to Brock, an active info contributing member that just did a lot of work and I would hope someone would do, and has done the same for me...
replyreply
Cm570 and 870 isx's will have a 'cold knock' on a cold start in cooler temps if not plugged in or apu not running, not sure on 871's, cm2250 have a lot smoother starting when cold, due to commen rail injection I would assume
replyreply
(10-14-2016 )Running rough Wrote:  Cm570 and 870 isx's will have a 'cold knock' on a cold start in cooler temps if not plugged in or apu not running, not sure on 871's, cm2250 have a lot smoother starting when cold, due to commen rail injection I would assume

Same knock on a cold 871 Running rough. Maybe not quite as pronounced, but similar. I know a bunch of guys with 2250's & yes they are smoother at first fire.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I know on the 870's anything under 530 hp did not have what they call concept gears on the injection camshaft, just a regular gear, that is why the 500 and down had more of a rattle at ideal even when at operating temp, where the higher hp engines with the spring ajustment concept gear is so much more quite, due to taking the 'lash or play out', most of these moters with the concept gears have a distinct 'whine' when at operating temp,
replyreply
10-15-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
Well I'll be damned.... I've never seen this before! I didn't think it was possible with the weight I haul and the idle time I have but here it is, a few thousand km and still looks pretty good!

./uploads/201610/post_1367_1476556702_d3bdef14836a69cb3c4dbae394a39a5b.jpg

Still need to get my amsoil filter on, ran out of time. Now let's see if I can keep the oil clean???

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
10-16-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
(10-15-2016 )Brock Wrote:  Well I'll be damned.... I've never seen this before! I didn't think it was possible with the weight I haul and the idle time I have but here it is, a few thousand km and still looks pretty good!

Still need to get my amsoil filter on, ran out of time. Now let's see if I can keep the oil clean???

It still looks a tiny bit dark-ish (still a bit of soot in it), but you are finally on the right road towards getting that engine to run good. Now it is just a matter of fine tuning and doing oil changes at proper intervals.

It is likely the extra idle time that is getting it. Bump your turbo up to about 35% in your idle region only (50 mg/stroke and less) if you have to idle a lot, or use a lot of PTO. See if that helps it a bit next go around. I would not go much higher than that though.

Rawz's recommended oil change intervals...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...617#pid617

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: chuy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.