Doing cams and front structure
10-14-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
RE: Doing cams and front structure
(10-13-2016 )RPM1 Wrote:  oops for got to do the reply thing , but my comment was to u hammerhead :)

The sound I am hearing that I wait to ease before idling up to 900 is piston skirt slap. If it was cam chatter, it would take longer than a minute or so to go away, and would never really go away. The sounds is crisper in my ISX than my friends BCIII with aluminum pistons, but it's the same sound.
It almost sounds like pre-detonation. I have had concerns of a possible leaking injector causing it, but they passed the leak test last time I checked them. That was about 5 months ago, so it's about time to test them again. Member 8042 wants to check his injectors as well, and we had hoped he was going to get thru town while I was home so we could check both of ours at the same time.
When I preheat the coolant by running my APU it doesn't slap.
In my drag racing days I used to use electric warming blankets on the cilynders (finless air cooled H-D motor) in the mornings to prewarm the aluminum pistons to control it.

I am by no means an expert in anything ISX, and I personally have NOT witnessed the bearing washout as described in my previous post, but I certainly trust the individual that told me about it. I haven't yet had time to do more research into the matter, just doing my part to pass along info to Brock, an active info contributing member that just did a lot of work and I would hope someone would do, and has done the same for me...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Doing cams and front structure - Pigpen 2868 - 10-03-2016,
RE: Doing cams and front structure - Hammerhead - 10-14-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.