IInjector driver codes
05-22-2024, (Subject: IInjector driver codes ) 
IInjector driver codes
Hey guys, we have a 2350a that has been a truck from hell, came in with a blown head gasket, we did a head gasket, test drove truck with no problems everything seemed good, gave the truck back, guy came back with a check engine light and he doesn't have the power that he use to, when you bobtail around by all accounts everything is fine and truck runs fine, until you hook it to a load then it doesn't have quite the power it should but still runs fine. The codes it was throwing were "injector solenoid driver-mechanical system not responding or out of adjustment". It would throw that code for all 6 cylinders if you drove it long enough but would throw cylinder 1 and 6 first in about 10-20 miles and the rest would follow not long after. So we did the obvious and changed fuel filters, found alot of water in the seperator, ended up draining the tanks and putting fresh fuel in it. still have the same code after driving 10-20miles. Pulled the valve cover and re-checked the valves, everything checked out. Pulled the injector harness connector off and diesel came out of it, it did the same thing when i pulled it apart the first time when I did the head but didn't think anything of it cause i found other sensors that i took apart also had diesel in them and i thought maybe somebody sprayed fuel in there using it as an anti-corrosion maybe. So I pulled the connectors off the ECM and fuel came pouring out, blew all the fuel out of it and drove truck to see if the fuel would come back, pulled the connectors apart and they were full again. Took the ECM off and found it was full of fuel and you can hear it sloshing around in there. We replaced the ECM with a new one. Now the truck runs like its only running on 3 cylinders and is now throwing this code- "injector solenoid driver cylinder 3 and 6-current below normal or open circuit". This is a story as long as the bible so I know i skipped alot of parts to all this but i'll summaize everything we did so far. We did a head gasket, replaced injector o rings and shields, replaced injector harness, replaced fuel connector pass throughs, checked pressure relief valve, checked rail pressure, did inj cutout, did injector performance test. Found the sensor that was pushing fuel into the harness and filling the ECM with fuel and replaced it. Replaced the ECM with a NEW ECM and now we have this similar code but different and the truck isn't running right. Again I know I probably missed a few important details to mention, so I'll answer any questions as they come, any advice or experiences would be appriciated
replyreply
RE: IInjector driver codes
Will it pass a rail pressure leakdown test? The one in insite not just turning the engine off and watching the pressure.

It's possible your new ECM is garbage. Is it a genuine Cummins part or some rebuilt garbage can from God knows where?

Just curious about this head gasket. Did you just replace the head gasket and that's it ? This wasn't a full inframe?

What is the actual code/codes it was showing?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(05-22-2024 )tree98 Wrote:  Will it pass a rail pressure leakdown test? The one in insite not just turning the engine off and watching the pressure.

It's possible your new ECM is garbage. Is it a genuine Cummins part or some rebuilt garbage can from God knows where?

Just curious about this head gasket. Did you just replace the head gasket and that's it ? This wasn't a full inframe?

Yes it passes the one in insite where it bumps the psi up to roughly 30k. This is a de mandated Cummins. We got a blank EMC right from peterbilt. The exact parameters were taken out of the old ecm and put into the new one. The codes are 0324 and 0325
replyreply
(05-22-2024 )JRTRK Wrote:  
(05-22-2024 )tree98 Wrote:  Will it pass a rail pressure leakdown test? The one in insite not just turning the engine off and watching the pressure.

Yes it passes the one in insite where it bumps the psi up to roughly 30k. This is a de mandated Cummins. We got a blank EMC right from peterbilt. The exact parameters were taken out of the old ecm and put into the new one. The codes are 0324 and 0325
This was not a inframe, this truck came in with a blown head gasket, we did a head gasket measured liner protrusion the whole 9 as far as what you can measure when takeing the head off these, and then he came back with this problem. In my opinion I don’t think the two are related and just a coincidence
replyreply
05-23-2024, (Subject: IInjector driver codes ) 
Who did the demandate programming? I'm not saying that's causing this problem but it should be verified to be good and not extremely harmful like they almost always are.

I've never heard of an ISX head gasket failure that wasn't caused by a dropped liner, my guess is you'll be seeing this truck again for another "head gasket failure "

As far as the current problems your having, here's what quickserve has to say about it (you have an issue on both banks so there is a short circuit somewhere)

Shoptalk
If more than one injector fault code is occurring, and the faults occur for injector circuits in the same injector bank, a short circuit exists.

If a fault condition is intermittent, and especially if more than one injector fault code is occurring, look for a wire harness that can short to components inside the rocker housing or a short circuit to ground in the injector solenoid.When looking for short circuits in the injector harnesses, pay particular attention to the wire insulation, making sure there are no shorts to a rocker lever.An intermittent short can result if the wiring harness insulation rubs through near a rocker lever. An intermittent short can cause a single injector fault code.

If the fault(s) occur intermittently, the engine can exhibit a misfire even if the injector circuit fault code does not always register. If a single cylinder exhibits misfires, look for an open circuit problem. If several cylinders on the same injector bank exhibit misfires, look for a short circuit anywhere in that injector bank circuit.

Possible causes of a single injector fault include:

Open circuit in the engine harness(es) or injector solenoid
High resistance in a single injector or injector solenoid
Extremely low resistance in an injector solenoid (injector shorted internally but not to ground)
Possible causes of multiple injector fault codes in the same bank of injectors include:

Short circuit in the engine harness(es) - either shorts to ground or to other wires in the engine harness
Short circuit in any of the three injectors in the bank - shorts to ground
Malfunctioning or damaged ECM.
Same Injector Bank Fault Codes:

Bank 1 - Front Bank: Fault Codes 322, 324, 331

Bank 2 - Rear Bank: Fault Codes 323, 325, 332.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: MCRENT
05-23-2024, (Subject: IInjector driver codes ) 
(05-22-2024 )JRTRK Wrote:  

Was this a rare exception where someone else's very recent bad inframe process had gone wrong???... because otherwise, someone at the repair shop needs to learn a bit more about these red beasts.

Fuel issues aside, the posts so far imply a very serious mistake/mis-jugement.

Issue #1: Replacing only the had gasket (to repair blown head gasket) without doing a full inframe. This is a mistake and complete waste of time and moneys.

Like said: The only rare exception to a head gasket failure, whwere the head gasket itself is the only culprit, would be perhaps that someone recently inframed it, and did not the install head or the head gasket properly, and it went out again shortly after. This was not mentioned in the first post, so I can only base my reply on the latter for now ...

What should have happened, as soon as it was determined the head gasket had failed, was a complete inframe. This regardless of liner height measurements. This, plus doing 100% of all the stuffs mentioned here in this post...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid70606
, no shortcuts, and no cheeping out.

> So unfortunately for both the repair shop, and the truck owner, this was pretty big mistake #1, ... as all someone did otherwise, was waste a whole lot of time and the truck owners $$$moneys, only for it to have to come all apart again for yet another blown head gasket all over again in a few weeks, or maybe few months at most.

An ISX with any kind of run time on it (more than a month or 3 after an inframe) will NEVER BLOW A HEAD GASKET UNLESS A LINER WAS IN FACT DANGING AROUND IN THE BLOCK!. - IT JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN!.

I.E. > A HEAD GASKET FAILURE IS ALWAYS A SYMPTOM (of bigger problems) ... AND NEVER A CAUSE!.

Quote: Accusing the head gasket alone, as the only point of failure, is like your neighbor accusing their water bill of being exceptionally high this month, demanding a replacement bill, ... saying that it has to be the water bill itself that is wrong ... all while starring out their front window and admiring the new lake that popped up out of nowhere 3 weeks ago in the front yard.

This means that (most likely) THE REPAIR SHOP made this bad call for one reason or another. Measuring liner height has nothing to do with this at all, though it can be used to help identify the larger issue. Replacing only the head gasket (or even the head and the gasket) after a head gasket failure is absolutely a mistake with regards to red engines.

That was mistake #1.

=========

Mistake #2 is not having that delete programming reviewed ASAP, right away, to ensure it was not a heavy contributor towards the (dancing liner(s)) + failed head gasket.

The trucking industry is absolutely plagued with bad delete programming that kills these engines with exactly those types of failures, all while most truck owners would swear noting seems wrong. it is in fact, that more than 90% of all de-mandate programs that I review each year, have exactly the conditions in them to cause liner failures (=head gasket), turbo problems, and all kinds of other progressive damage.

==============
So at this point ...

#1 To-Do ... fuel problems aside, if only the head gasket (or head+gasket) was replaced ... SOMEONE NEEDS TELL THAT TRUCK OWNER THAT THEIR ENGINE WAS NOT PROPERLY REPAIRED!. It will in fact fail again in short order, and everything done towards the head gasket replacement was noting but wasted moneys and pipe dream wishes. Here is the scenario that the engine is now caught up in...

Quote:...

* Engine starts burning coolant sooner than its expected lifespan (usually at, or past the 500,000 miles, but far short of 1+million).
* Shop replaces head gasket and says you need head gasket only, because they check liner height with head off it and can't find a dropped liner. --- OR --- Replaces head, claiming it was injector cup, maybe cracked head.etc.

* $10,000 later, the thing is back together, everyone happy (so they think ...).
the rest of this post is found here: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid41315

- It sucks finding this out after the fact, but personally, a responsible shop owner, after learning this lesson the hard way, ... the proper thing to do, is let the truck owner the truth. To offer to negate whatever bill they have built up so far towards the head gasket replacement, and to apply it towards TEARING IT DOWN AGAIN AND REPAIRING THE ENGINE PROPERLY THIS TIME AROUND. THIS BEFORE IT FAILS AGAIN, ... FULLY INFRAMING IT + raise liners, etc. LIKE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN the first time that it came apart + doing all the extra stuffs mentioned in the following link here 100% properly and fully (with all OEM parts only), ... no shortcuts!...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid70606

BECAUSE OTHERWISE, WHEN IT BLOWS OUT THAT HEAD GASKET AGAIN IN SHORT ORDER, someone needs to be praying like all mother h#ell that it does not bend a connecting rod, snap the crank, or worse, possibly hydra-locks and windows the entire block as it goes out!. -- I.E.> the engine is DOOMED FOR ANOTHER FAILURE IN ITS VERY NEAR FUTURE, AND THE PERSON WHO OWNS IT SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE MADE AWARE OF THIS .. a repair shops mis-diagnosis or not,.. so that proper actions can be taken!!!!!!.

- If the truck owner ops out of this and drives it like this any ways, against the corrected advice of the repair shop, ... then any immediate or future failure is 100% on the truck owner, .... negating the shops offer to finish the job that was started ... and then it would no longer be the repair shops fault at that point.

#2 To-Do ... Copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for a proper review of what someone did in there. At least ensure that you are not fighting an unknown beast that might have very well caused these expensive$$$ initial failures to begin with.
copying program: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid72945

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.