PTO time causing problems
10-04-2016, (Subject: PTO time causing problems ) 
PTO time causing problems
I have seven trucks and I am beginning to have issues with the trucks that idle (pto) 55% to 65% of total engine time. My 2007+ trucks that do not have idle time have been very reliable after implementing egr maintenance, frequent air filter changes and shortened oil change intervals.

My problem is with our 2012 and 2013 pete 386s. These two trucks are idling 8 to 14 hr's a day running pto. I should start buying egr valves and dpf's in bulk for these trucks

We are not allowed to regen on site and some days have to move truck offsite daily to regen if we have that option. New dpf only last about 800 to 1300 hrs and getting very costly. Trucks are on the road four to five weeks at a time and our mechanic can not be everywhere all the time so dealers become our only and costly option.
I know I am maintainting our trucks well because I have four isx trucks running otr without problems.

I am looking for any solutions to improve reliability on the 2012 and 2013 or I may lose two very valuable operator/drivers because of reliability issues.

Thank you
replyreply
10-05-2016, (Subject: PTO time causing problems ) 
RE: PTO time causing problems
Try setting idle speed higher or raising the rpm with cruise control while PTO is engaged if mandate removal is not an option.
replyreply
(10-04-2016 )1075tank Wrote:  I have seven trucks and I am beginning to have issues with the trucks that idle (pto) 55% to 65% of total engine time. My 2007+ trucks that do not have idle time have been very reliable after implementing egr maintenance, frequent air filter changes and shortened oil change intervals.

My problem is with our 2012 and 2013 pete 386s. These two trucks are idling 8 to 14 hr's a day running pto. I should start buying egr valves and dpf's in bulk for these trucks

We are not allowed to regen on site and some days have to move truck offsite daily to regen if we have that option. New dpf only last about 800 to 1300 hrs and getting very costly. Trucks are on the road four to five weeks at a time and our mechanic can not be everywhere all the time so dealers become our only and costly option.
I know I am maintainting our trucks well because I have four isx trucks running otr without problems.

I am looking for any solutions to improve reliability on the 2012 and 2013 or I may lose two very valuable operator/drivers because of reliability issues.

Thank you

Don't get caught up in the cycle of doing desperate things, then ending up with a bad "delete".
If I lived in a foriegn Country What would I look for ...

. On the other hand, the best mandate removal program out there is called called 'MM - 2'. It is a final solution to your problem but it is not legal to run in your engine in an E.P.A. controlled country for obvious reasons.

-----
I have seen people with your exact problem at least a hundred times before that use a lot of PTO. These newer emissions systems engines cannot handle a lot of PTO and there is no solution from the engine makers at all.

Your only reliable cost effective solution is to have the 'MM - 2' program in the truck and be done with it but no one can tell you legally to put it into your truck if you live in the U.S.A. That is a decision you have to make on your own. Rawze, Unilevers, and Gearhead know more on this, you should likely contact one of them through PM if that is what you are seeking.

Second to that, and less effective, but better than nothing, is to have it legal custom tuned by one of the master engine programmers/builders (Unilevers, Gerahead, or Rawze himself) here on this forum so that the engine runs much cleaner overall and stops dirtying those cans up so fast. Here is an article on that too.
LINK: Getting Better Fuel Mileage and performance through Custom ECM Tuning Without violating EPA Laws...

-- Personally, I would contact Rawze and PM him your phone number or something and have a chat with him. He can give some good advice towards whatever solution you are seeking and your situation no matter what route you are trying to take towards a solution.
replyreply
If removing the mandate is not something you want to do, Change your pto ratio... instead of setting your pto to run with your truck at 1000rpm, get it geared to run with your truck at 1300 or 1500rpm. Will be loud as hell and your fan will go off constant but there will be enough heat to keep it cleaner.

I work hauling crude oil and have the same issue and I honestly believe that these emis sion systems cannot be on oilfield equipment so they either need to be taken care of or oilfield guys need to rebuild old trucks or buy gliders.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Don't forget to check that xpi fuel pump for ceramic plungers, if you've been on this site long enough u've seen what kind of destruction those little sticks can do..
Mr Hagg checked mine ((June 13)) built truck and the pump does have the steel ones
replyreply
If I was going to run a pto for 8-14 hours per day I'd get one of these for sure. Pricey, like $12-14k installed with pumps and everything, but would save a lot of wear and money in the long run. I'd absolutely still do the delete on your motors, just on general principle.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201610/post_895_1475717922_650c4fc2b642d102d68f013c84df5102.png
replyreply
10-06-2016, (Subject: PTO time causing problems ) 
(10-05-2016 )Signature620 Wrote:  Try setting idle speed higher or raising the rpm with cruise control while PTO is engaged if mandate removal is not an option.

Mandate removal seems to be the best option.
replyreply
10-06-2016, (Subject: PTO time causing problems ) 
(10-06-2016 )1075tank Wrote:  Mandate removal seems to be the best option.

It is the most;
Reliable option
Pleasant option...

It is the least;
Operating cost option
Gremlin infused option... as long as it is MM-2

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.