High EGT, No Boost and a major boost leak!! PLEASE HELP.
10-07-2016, (Subject: High EGT, No Boost and a major boost leak!! PLEASE HELP. ) 
RE: High EGT, No Boost and a major boost leak!! PLEASE HELP.
(10-07-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote:  I would be willing to bet that sound and boost loss is caused by a collapsing intercooler line .
That dura lite will restrict airflow because, believe it or not, the volume of airflow is less because it's thickness and durability.
Maybe someone else can explain it better but that's what's happening.

The only inter-cooler line is the one close to the turbo on the bottom and it actually swells up just a tiny bit when I rev the engine to 2000 rpm. It doesn't collapse. Keep in mind that the dura-lite CAC has nothing to do with it because all this started happening on the old CAC before the new CAC was installed. Please remember that I have pressure tested the system to 45 psi after the new CAC install and no leaks were detected. I truly suspect the turbo, EGR, or connections from egr to intake.
replyreply
10-07-2016, (Subject: High EGT, No Boost and a major boost leak!! PLEASE HELP. ) 
Could it not be the turbo actuator? If its not actuating the turbo correctly because of a clogged or leaking air line I could see this happening. Insite will let you cycle the actuator so I would try that and listen for air leaks as well as making sure the turbo is actuating all the way. Its almost like the turbo builds pressure and the pressure actuating the actuator is lost putting the turbo back into its original position.
replyreply
Check the air compressor intake connection to the intake manifold. There is behind air compressor head piece of rubber between head and pipe. If clamp is loose or rubber is bad it will do what you have.
replyreply
(10-07-2016 )VNL670 Wrote:  ...
the dura-lite CAC is already in the truck and the Dorman EGR has been ordered and paid for ($1000 for both). All I am trying to get out of the CAC and EGR is 4 to 8 months and then I can switch back to OEM

* rawze shakes head and thinks to himself that you can lead the horse to the water, but if he refuses to drink it then there is nothing anyone can do.

Good luck with that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(10-07-2016 )preacherboy24 Wrote:  Could it not be the turbo actuator? If its not actuating the turbo correctly because of a clogged or leaking air line I could see this happening. Insite will let you cycle the actuator so I would try that and listen for air leaks as well as making sure the turbo is actuating all the way. Its almost like the turbo builds pressure and the pressure actuating the actuator is lost putting the turbo back into its original position.

We did a turbo test through insight and the actuator and turbo passed. But assuming you are correct, it does not explain the large and rapid boost leak ( which we can't identify where it's coming from)
replyreply
(10-07-2016 )VNL670 Wrote:  We did a turbo test through insight and the actuator and turbo passed. But assuming you are correct, it does not explain the large and rapid boost leak ( which we can't identify where it's coming from)

Rawze's advice on pressure-testing the entire engine is solid advice. Why not just pressure test the whole engine instead of just the CAC?.

YOu block it off at the exhaust of the turbo (where the Doser injector is mounted) and at the air cleaner, just past the filter and pressurize the whole engine.

i have found massive leaks in things like...

* EGR piping and boots.
* Welded EGR pipe joints that pop loose only at above certain pressure.

* Bad clamps for intake boots.

* Blown manifold gaskets that only leak under higher pressure.

* Blown head on Air compressor that put a lot of air into the crank case.

* blown head on air compressor that leaks only under high pressure where the compressor head meets the base on the back side.

* All kinds of other places that people would otherwise never have found.

The CAC and boots are only a small part of the entire charge circuit. You have to test the entire thing including the exhaust and EGR side of it too sometimes to find the actual problems. If you properly pressure test the entire engine and it passes,.. Then you can move on to component issues instead of guessing.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , LargeCar
(10-07-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  Check the air compressor intake connection to the intake manifold. There is behind air compressor head piece of rubber between head and pipe. If clamp is loose or rubber is bad it will do what you have.

Are you referring to the hose with the red arrow or yellow arrow or both?

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201610/post_2325_1475895641_5e0e41098376f1602a6fe4e18e16b6b1.jpg
replyreply
(10-07-2016 )Marajin Wrote:  
(10-07-2016 )VNL670 Wrote:  We did a turbo test through insight and the actuator and turbo passed. But assuming you are correct, it does not explain the large and rapid boost leak ( which we can't identify where it's coming from)

Rawze's advice on pressure-testing the entire engine is solid advice. Why not just pressure test the whole engine instead of just the CAC?.

YOu block it off at the exhaust of the turbo (where the Doser injector is mounted) and at the air cleaner, just past the filter and pressurize the whole engine.

i have found massive leaks in things like...

* EGR piping and boots.
* Welded EGR pipe joints that pop loose only at above certain pressure.

* Bad clamps for intake boots.

* Blown manifold gaskets that only leak under higher pressure.

* Blown head on Air compressor that put a lot of air into the crank case.

* blown head on air compressor that leaks only under high pressure where the compressor head meets the base on the back side.

* All kinds of other places that people would otherwise never have found.

The CAC and boots are only a small part of the entire charge circuit. You have to test the entire thing including the exhaust and EGR side of it too sometimes to find the actual problems. If you properly pressure test the entire engine and it passes,.. Then you can move on to component issues instead of guessing.

Can you give me step by step instruction or direct me to a youtube video or a guide of some sort? I would really appreciate it.
replyreply
(10-07-2016 )Marajin Wrote:  YOu block it off at the exhaust of the turbo (where the Doser injector is mounted) and at the air cleaner, just past the filter and pressurize the whole engine.

I was recently told of this procedure by another member, what do you use to block the piping & where do you get them/it from?
How does the intake piping hold up under pressure? I wouldn't expect pressure to be to good for the vacuum side of the system. He told me he plugs the fresh air intake of the turbo and then removes & pressures through the CIT.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.