ISX will not start.
10-07-2016, (Subject: ISX will not start. ) 
ISX will not start.
I have a 09' 386 Peterbilt with a 485 ISX and 520k miles.....mandate has been removed. It start giving my driver trouble a couple miles from home ....died... restarted and got it home. I noticed the transfer pump was not pumping with the key was on. Checked the inline 10 amp fuse and it is good......12.5 volts ( with the key on and off ). Checked voltage with multi-meter at the transfer pump with the key on and got -0.00 on one side and 0.00 on the other side. I then checked the fuel shut off solenoid for voltage with the key on and there was nothing there either. Are there any other fuses or relays I am missing or is my ECM my problem?
replyreply
RE: ISX will not start.
Check the battery box for fuses. My truck did this once and it was a chaffed power wire from the box to the ECM blowing the fuse at the box. Can you take a picture of the location of the 10 amp inline fuse at the ECM. I cant seem to find mine.
replyreply
(10-07-2016 )preacherboy24 Wrote:  Check the battery box for fuses. My truck did this once and it was a chaffed power wire from the box to the ECM blowing the fuse at the box. Can you take a picture of the location of the 10 amp inline fuse at the ECM. I cant seem to find mine.

I will check out my battery box for fuses.
My inline fuse was basically right above my air compressor and below my ecm. It is wired right into the harness.....but stuck out about 3" with snap on cover.
replyreply
have you checked this stuff?
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...05#pid3505

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
10-08-2016, (Subject: ISX will not start. ) 
Sad RE: ISX will not start.
I put new fuses in the battery box ( 2- 15amp fuses ) and the one inline 10amp fuse by the ecm ( all the fuses I removed looked good). Per Rawze's suggestion I checked out the wiring harnesses below the starter.......the harnesses all looked ok....no worn insulation. Turned the key on and transfer pump started pumping....it took a little bit to prime the system and start the truck. I throttled up while moving the truck around the shop and the engine lost power, engine did not die but throttle was unresponsive. Engine light came on....checked for codes and J1939 came up and then went away. I have not found a good answer to what is a J1939.

I do not think I have found my problem.:anger:
replyreply
I think the ecm reset itself after you cut power to the ecm when you switched fuses. Check your fuel pressure while cranking the engine over and see where your at. I knew a guy who had the same problem....except the engine wouldnt start at all. He was running 70lbs of pressure cranking and I think to start the engine you need 140lbs. He dropped in a new fuel pump and was trucking again. My money is on the J1939 code being fuel pressure related.
replyreply
I found this. Its a connection according to this. I believe it had something to do with cutting power to the ecm when you switched out fuses.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201610/post_1845_1475980479_77e789ee009499fc6cb88a57229b0723.png
replyreply
J1939 is the high speed network all the computers talk on. The only exception is the abs. I think it still uses the slow speed network. Have you checked the ecm connections? I had a buddy that had power loss issues while driving. It turned out to be the Allen screw that holds the harness into the ecm had backed out enough to break connection intermittently. Once he tightened it up all his issues went away.
replyreply
How about bad ignition switch ? Read somewhere 1/2 ECM (engine ) other 1/2
Cab ? Good luck resolving problem.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.