Shimmed my oil pump.. went from 35psi to 45-46 psi..
10-10-2016, (Subject: Shimmed my oil pump.. went from 35psi to 45-46 psi.. ) 
RE: Shimmed my oil pump.. went from 35psi to 45-46 psi..
(10-09-2016 )jorden486 Wrote:  I'm lost-I have done 3 different trucks of mine all cm870's and I didn't see an O ring anywhere while putting dimes in.

hahahahaha jordan you crack me up!

there is a cap that holds the dogbone in the bore of the pump. when you pull the cotter key it pops out and has a oring cut into the end of it. If you did not put it back you would be having serious issues and would know about them very soon after startup.
replyreply
good day guys new user just reading some posts and learning shimming your oil pump with dimes ???? is there a video on this and what is the purpose u gain a few psi at a idel
just curious thx
replyreply
Go to videos and ceck Rawze's how to do it, very easy it will take 3x more time to take down the oil pan
Now about idle is not really increasing much 1-2psi in my case...others none
The gain is at highway speeds...
replyreply
(10-10-2016 )Rock hound trucking Wrote:  good day guys new user just reading some posts and learning shimming your oil pump with dimes ???? is there a video on this and what is the purpose u gain a few psi at a idel
just curious thx

There is a theory that part of the reason for all the cam issues with ISX's is due to Cummins reactionary fear of high oil pressure.
Back in the early Big Cam engine days Cummins used to be in the 50psi range (the first truck I drove was a BC, it ran at 52, then the BCIII I drove next ran 38). The machining processes then were not as good and consistent as they are these day. Because of this, Cummins went through a period of spun main bearings. Their failure analasys was that the oil pressure forced oil under the bearing surface, between the block and the bearing, while the crank was under high torque. To combat the rash of failures and mountainous warrantee claims, they went low pressure, high volume instead.
With the advent of the ISX, the cams were relocated into the head instead of the block. The oil pump is driven by the front crank gear, so naturally it is located at the very bottom of the block. This means that the last component to receive pressurized oil is the cam(s) and valve train. As the pressurized oil travels through the oil rifles and galleys, it loses a small amount of pressure each time a new rifle or galley passage is encountered. Because the cam(s), valves, and rockers are the end of the pressurized system, they receive the lowest pressure of oil. Particularly on the 540/870/871 which uses the second overhead cam to drive/pressurize the injectors. That results in very high stress pressures. The higher the stress pressures, the more oil pressure required to properly lubricate and create that oil barrier between components to reduce as much wear as possible.
Therefore, I and many others here want to see more than 35 psi operating temp oil pressures.
This is just pure conjecture on my part: but I wouldn't be surprised if you put a fitting into one of the overhead plugs and ran a gauge off of it if you only saw 20psi at operating temp and RPM's up there
IMHO the ideal pressure range is between 42-46 at 210-200* correlating operating temp. That will still be over 40psi at hard pulling 220*+ for my heavy haul application.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
10-11-2016, (Subject: Shimmed my oil pump.. went from 35psi to 45-46 psi.. ) 
(10-10-2016 )T680 Wrote:  Go to videos and ceck Rawze's how to do it, very easy it will take 3x more time to take down the oil pan
Now about idle is not really increasing much 1-2psi in my case...others none
The gain is at highway speeds...

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
First time using the sta lube 85-90 with rotella 15-40, went from home to Chicago , but I've seen higher oil pressure ((46-47 psi)) with .80 c treatment at running temp than Walmart's gear oil with fresh oil and doesn't smell as bad ...

Btwy just changed the rears oil and I have 2.5gal delo syn-gear 75-90 leftover
Was thinking on using over the winter either10-30 or 5-40 engine oil and adding 1/2 gal of that leftover in it
Would it work????
replyreply
(10-10-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 )jorden486 Wrote:  I'm lost-I have done 3 different trucks of mine all cm870's and I didn't see an O ring anywhere while putting dimes in.

hahahahaha jordan you crack me up!

there is a cap that holds the dogbone in the bore of the pump. when you pull the cotter key it pops out and has a oring cut into the end of it. If you did not put it back you would be having serious issues and would know about them very soon after startup.

Pulled a lube pump apart and Unilevers is right. It there. On the small plug spacer that goes under the cotter key there is a small O-ring. This Mod is so easy-seriously anyone considering it just do it. It takes longer to clean the oil pan before re-install than anything else.

Also of note-I don't know about conventional trucks but on my stinger car carriers I have to put a bottle jack between the axle and frame and move them apart to get the oil pan out.
replyreply
10-13-2016, (Subject: Shimmed my oil pump.. went from 35psi to 45-46 psi.. ) 
For reference for shimming an oil pump.
8 US dimes is 0.414" which I found to be about 9-10psi increase (on gauge).
7 US dimes is 0.365"
8 CDN dimes is 0.380"
7 CDN dimes is 0.334" which I found to be about 5-6psi increase (on gauge).

I will cross post this in the Bypass Filter thread as well...

So I finally got off me fat azz and finally installed my Spinner II 996 Bypass filter.
Here are the details in this post ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...36#pid8536

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.