Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: How does the oil bypass valve work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am curious about the relief or bypass spring valve in the oil filter base. I see there is a update, bulletin 4908439. I tried to buy the update but they sold me the original.

I am curious how this bypass works? at a certain psi does it open and feed oil back into the cooler? what is the psi?

Any idea what the update fixed?
So according to this bulletin, all ISX's are affected prior to April 2015 then?
You purchased part # 4357177, and it was the old style pictured in the bulletin they say to discard? That doesn't seem right.
How much was the part?
Thanks Brock, it's only a lubricating oil related part...now I'm stressing! I need beer!

As far as how it works, from Quickserve:
Whenever the pressure drop across the lubricating oil filter exceeds 862 kPa [125 psi], the oil filter bypass valve opens and allows lubricating oil to bypass the lubricating oil filter.

This condition can occur during cold ambient (cold lubricating oil) engine start-ups.

The purpose of the bypass valve is to maintain lubricating oil flow to the engine and prevent an oil filter collapse.
I don't know what my problem is with quickserve but I can never find anything, couldn't even search for this bulletin. i had to Google it, maybe it doesn't like my mobile browser.

Thanks hammer
(10-18-2016 )Brock Wrote: [ -> ]I am curious about the relief or bypass spring valve in the oil filter base. I see there is a update, bulletin 4908439. I tried to buy the update but they sold me the original.

I am curious how this bypass works? at a certain psi does it open and feed oil back into the cooler? what is the psi?

Any idea what the update fixed?

It works like this ...

Reference URL's