Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: What's wrong with my Cummins ISX????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a 2010 Kenworth W900L with a 09 ISX 450 in it. Since I've bought the truck it hasn't been the road yet and the truck has ran fine, started fine etc. Well the night before I was to leave in it it to lease it on to a company the feeder tube from the exhaust to the exhuast pressure sensor broke at the flaring on the exhaust manifold. I replaced it with one off of a core engine after cleaning it out. I started the truck to verify it was fixed and noticed the turbo was much louder the it had been previously and when I tried to give it throttle it wouldn't go past 1100 rpms and was blowing out the thickest of black smoke then back at idle it was smoking black but you wouldn't notice it unless you focused on it. Thinking the line I replaced had caused it I loosened it and not change, it was still running like crap. After several random start it was still the same. The morning after I tried again but this time it was blowing black smoke at an idle with no throttle response at all from the peddle but did eventually act as it did with the original issue. Well, thanks to the videos on YouTube I did the egr tuneup without replacing any sensors as the soot wasn't really that bad at all. I started it and again no change. I kept thinking about the load turbo whistle it idle and for giggles I unplugged the turbo actuator and restarted the truck... well I was able to get better throttle response, less black smoke and higher rpms then before (1200-1300) but at the max rpm it would run it would puke out black smoke but not nearly as much as before. I could really use some serious help with this to figure out what's wrong.
(12-14-2016 )Killbilly Wrote: [ -> ]I've got a 2010 Kenworth W900L with a 09 ISX 450 in it. Since I've bought the truck it hasn't been the road yet and the truck has ran fine, started fine etc. Well the night before I was to leave in it it to lease it on to a company the feeder tube from the exhaust to the exhuast pressure sensor broke at the flaring on the exhaust manifold. I replaced it with one off of a core engine after cleaning it out. I started the truck to verify it was fixed and noticed the turbo was much louder the it had been previously and when I tried to give it throttle it wouldn't go past 1100 rpms and was blowing out the thickest of black smoke then back at idle it was smoking black but you wouldn't notice it unless you focused on it. Thinking the line I replaced had caused it I loosened it and not change, it was still running like crap. After several random start it was still the same. The morning after I tried again but this time it was blowing black smoke at an idle with no throttle response at all from the peddle but did eventually act as it did with the original issue. Well, thanks to the videos on YouTube I did the egr tuneup without replacing any sensors as the soot wasn't really that bad at all. I started it and again no change. I kept thinking about the load turbo whistle it idle and for giggles I unplugged the turbo actuator and restarted the truck... well I was able to get better throttle response, less black smoke and higher rpms then before (1200-1300) but at the max rpm it would run it would puke out black smoke but not nearly as much as before. I could really use some serious help with this to figure out what's wrong.

You have the classic symptoms of a VG turbo locked up at or near 100% closing. -- Keep trying to run that engine like that and it will cause a LOT more damage, like killing your injectors and possibly cracking the head.

You need to do a thorough turbo inspection and ACTUALLY REPLACE the sensors involved with an EGR tune-up like the IMAP and others if they are old,.. even if they look good. They read wrong and cause problems long before they throw faults.

You also need to ensure that tube you messed with going to the exhaust bp sensor is installed correctly and that the sensor is reading it properly.
The EGR Valve could be stuck open. I had a cm870 that blew black smoke with no power, and the EGR valve was stuck open and it flashed a fault code.
Reference URL's