Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Injectors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Doing the same here, bought the wrench off of Amazon, and the filters. Takes a few minutes to change out.
Had o go at repairing a leaking injector I had in number six cylinder today . I've had a fuel knock in six for a short time which I believed was a remnant from air cavitation. Last two years I've replaced all six injectors so all are fairly new . Number 4 caused a lot of problems until I realised I had air in the fuel. Did a leak test across both metering accuators to find number six making air . Stripped the injector and found a lot of carbon build up at the tip of the plunger and the tapered seat area where it clearly wasn't seating and sealing combustion gas . I used some carb cleaner and a tiny wad of polishing grade steel wool down the tip of the injector to remove all the carbon. The plunger was easy enough to clean and polish up . I then used aluminium polish and pushed the plunger back into the tip , spinning the plunger in the tip with alloy polish in there to lap the taper . After a very thorough clean of all parts I put it back together. So far so good. With the injector reinstalled the knock has gone and so have the bubbles in a follow up leak test . I believe the cavitation allowed the plunger to bounce off the seat in the tip providing opportunity for carbon to pass . Once anything contaminated the tapered seat it was all down hill . Hopefully it continues to seat and another injector won't be necessary
(01-05-2017 )AussieISX Wrote: [ -> ]Had o go at repairing a leaking injector I had in number six cylinder today . I've had a fuel knock in six for a short time which I believed was a remnant from air cavitation. Last two years I've replaced all six injectors so all are fairly new . Number 4 caused a lot of problems until I realised I had air in the fuel. Did a leak test across both metering accuators to find number six making air . Stripped the injector and found a lot of carbon build up at the tip of the plunger and the tapered seat area where it clearly wasn't seating and sealing combustion gas . I used some carb cleaner and a tiny wad of polishing grade steel wool down the tip of the injector to remove all the carbon. The plunger was easy enough to clean and polish up . I then used aluminium polish and pushed the plunger back into the tip , spinning the plunger in the tip with alloy polish in there to lap the taper . After a very thorough clean of all parts I put it back together. So far so good. With the injector reinstalled the knock has gone and so have the bubbles in a follow up leak test . I believe the cavitation allowed the plunger to bounce off the seat in the tip providing opportunity for carbon to pass . Once anything contaminated the tapered seat it was all down hill . Hopefully it continues to seat and another injector won't be necessary

I find this very interesting. Sounds like some alternative thing to do on older injector that maybe only has this issue and no other problems. Some pics would have been nice. - Maybe something that would eventually be good to make a video of? -- Who knows.
[attachment=2334][attachment=2334]
It seems to me if an injector is leaking, it has to be leaking past this tapered seat . There is basically nothing else internally sealing the injector from the cylinder. The one pictured is a good running injector with no soot build up from carbon passing the the lower plunger seat . I unfortunately didn't get any pics of the leaking one during the process. If the plunger and seat in the tip have no damage and just have carbon built up I see no reason why some older injectors can't be cleaned and re fitted .
This is the same thing a local injector ship said to me, if you fail the bubble test it doesn't mean the injector is bad all the time, a lot of the time they just need to be opened up and cleaned of the carbon that's causing the plunger to not seal.
Maybe, someone would do a video on how to do this procedure.
I have a local rebuild shop in my area. I wonder if they could rebuild mine. They offer a one year unlimited mileage warranty on all their work.
(01-07-2017 )Nilao Wrote: [ -> ]I have a local rebuild shop in my area. I wonder if they could rebuild mine. They offer a one year unlimited mileage warranty on all their work.

I don't know about the isx injectors but on my sdp cat, injector shop rebuild's suck! For that matter, what I hear is the cat remans are pretty much the only way to go.

I bought 6 rebuilt ones from a local shop with good warranty. Problem was when we put it on the dyno and measured flow rate, there was a 25% difference between the injectors. Now I did not have the trim files installed but I'm pretty sure that doesn't account for that bad of a spread!

The money I saved is not worth it. I'm rebuilding the motor right now and oem injectors are going in.
Taking one apart to clean some carbon out of it and trying to save it yourself is one thing. Paying someone a few bucks to do the same is another,.. But taking them to a re-man shop and paying 50% or more of the price of a new one in my book is NOT worth it.

Here are my thoughts on re-man injectors, and injector re-man shops in general...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...67#pid4367
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's