Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Engine Down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The warranty from cummins should stand regardless of mandate.. They are warranting the head.. Not the mandate controls.. They just won't do the work..
I didn't see anywhere how many miles on that head but a new head is at most $800 more than a reman.
You say you're not keeping this truck forever,. My question is, how much longer until you have to do the short block?
Doing a new head now and the bottom end 1-2 years down the road gets you an engine that could go another million miles.You might want to rethink keeping the truck.
The devil you know vs. the one you don't, that being the next truck.
Speaking on the subject of new head v reman, what protocols for long term storage of such a part be taken?
I have my own theories and am looking for others thoughts as well.
I ask because while I was having issues in Vegas and was thinking I had a cracked head in that case, I inquired about a new one from KW. Since Edm KW at home told me new wasn't available I checked while I was in Vegas. They had one at the warehouse and brought it in for me. It's at my shop now, and I didn't have a head issue, so it's become inventory for the inevitable.
I am planning to:
-decompress the valve springs by removing the collets so the springs don't become fatigued
-I have an oil tub that is the perfect size, so I'm going to submerge the head in oil and seal tape plastic over the tub to prevent oxidation

Anything else?
What would you do to store it for a probable 4-5yr term, truckin gods willing?
(02-28-2017 )Squish099 Wrote: [ -> ]The warranty from cummins should stand regardless of mandate.. They are warranting the head.. Not the mandate controls.. They just won't do the work..

the labor and down time are the killers
(02-28-2017 )in2trux Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't see anywhere how many miles on that head but a new head is at most $800 more than a reman.
You say you're not keeping this truck forever,. My question is, how much longer until you have to do the short block?
Doing a new head now and the bottom end 1-2 years down the road gets you an engine that could go another million miles.You might want to rethink keeping the truck.
The devil you know vs. the one you don't, that being the next truck.

the head was put on in 2014 and it looks like it has the updated pistons it has no blow by and uses no oil so by rebuilding the head ,new turbo,new injectors and rod and main bearings it should last for a while at that point i will need to make a decision on re powering or re placing the truck
I was thinking for 14K it should include a new head... WOW...
(02-28-2017 )Mr Hagg Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking for 14K it should include a new head... WOW...

I was thinking it should be at your shop..... But i am doing the best to make a bad day better $14k for new turbo,rods,mains,injectors,valvs,guides and seats plus labor what would you be at....
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's