Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Remote mounted greasable zerks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now that I'm wrapping up my truck, and have been climbing all over the whole thing for the last couple weeks now fixing everything wrong I could find, it dawned on me that remote zerks would make my life perhaps a tad easier.

Anyone do this on their truck? I'm considering a rear grease block and a front as well. Can't do much for the throw out bearing or u joints, but I can at least make the suspension a little easier to deal with.

While we are on the subject, what are you guys typically running for grease? I'm curious...
My prostar has 31 grease points. i use red grease. I have heard many times that you should never mix green and red brands of grease as it turns into clay.
That's what I've been running, the red stuff.

I'm thinking of having a grease manifold in the rear and another in the front to at least handle my suspension needs. I try to grease the u-joints and TO bearing once to twice a month, and I would prefer to grease the suspension and steering weekly.
The issue I could see is you have no way of telling if a zerk is plugged up or visually grabbing the components to check for wear. I like to see the grease come out till it's fresh as well as pulling/pushing on the components to check for wear. I'm under it a couple times a month just to make sure everything is still zip tied and my ujoints are right.
I have a remote grease hose on the throw out bearing on my trucks from the factory,but they would not be hard to install just need a hole in inspection plate.

the best thing I have found to make greasing easier is a fitting called lock N Lube it locks on the zerk and has a leaver operated by your thumb

The other thing that makes it easier is a battery operated grease gun I currently have an 18 volt dewalt it's heavy but stands up on feet also had a 12 volt Lincoln years ago lighter weigh and less pressure but an operator ran it over with a wheel loader. Also try heating up your grease tubes keep 2 under the hood makes it way easier to get all side of a u joint to purge
Reference URL's