Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Black Fuel Filter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 2014 587 with Cummins ISX... The filter below has only 10k miles on it. I'm hearing everything from Injector Rings must be leaking, Algae, Need overhaul, bad fuel... Any ideas? I don't believe it's Algae, my tanks don't appear to have any and it's not slimy... Planning on taking the truck to Cummins soon...
More than likely algae. Go to oreilly and get a cpl bottles of killem algaecide. Add about 6oz per tank while filling them up. Park it for a cpl days. That stuff is a bitch to get rid of. Add about 2-3 oz per tank per fillup after the initial treatment till your filters clear up then back off to an oz per fill up. Its an expensive epidemic. Trust me dont slack on treating ur tanks after the first just because the filters are lasting an extra cpl weeks.
Stock up on filters, both the davco and screw on. Youll be changin them ALOT
I had same issue and it was due to algae from bio fuel. Took a month to clean up system with biocide additives.
Had little black floaties in filter and tanks ( looked like the black floaties when you light the wrong fuel on a torch).
This is algae. I had this problem then I used this additive to clean it out. After putin it to my tanks for about a month the davco housing had black sludge in the bottom of housing and had to clean it out with brake cleaner. There two products "biobor" or "killem all" basicly is a same thing.
[attachment=3107]
[attachment=3108]
(09-20-2017 )HalpinUout Wrote: [ -> ]I have a 2014 587 with Cummins ISX... The filter below has only 10k miles on it. I'm hearing everything from Injector Rings must be leaking, Algae, Need overhaul, bad fuel... Any ideas? I don't believe it's Algae, my tanks don't appear to have any and it's not slimy... Planning on taking the truck to Cummins soon...

For a 10 micron filter, it looks like its doing its job and is pretty normal to me.

Everybody I know who uses a 7 or 10 micron filter, it turns black,... this is because ITS DOING IT JOB and catching the ashpaltine buildup that cummins is notorious for making in the fuel rail.
What Rawze said
I use stanadyne in my pickup once a month, filters stay pretty clean other than the blackish color as yours
Removed my stock injectors about a month ago (original injectors) with 294k other than the normal carbon build up on the tips there where pretty clean, truck ran great I just wanted some 100hp sticks :)
Reference URL's