Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: CM 870 turbo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I think you do have to mention blocking the oil feed line. Because I'm not sure what your talking about? I'm sure this will be another 1 of those "duh you dummy" moments for me.

Tree98 if you blew oil thru the CAC it'll need washed/flushed out. Just look to see if there's oil in the inlet side of the CAC. If its a little wet, some shop rags and degreaser will fix you up
If its more like a firehose of black oil was shot in it, you'll probably want to take the CAC off the truck and get a gallon of degreaser (I use Tide laundry detergent)(whatever you want to use as long as its none foaming) and alot of water and start flushing till its clean. If you have to do this its a prime opportunity to test it for leaks. For me, it's the only time I hope for a reason to just throw it away and get a new 1.
Ha ha ha I know to plug the oil line so it doesn't spray when I start it up like he said to do briefly before putting the new turbo on.Im confused on the leaf blower or shop air?? You mean to blow out all the tubes?
Come on guys.....wake up.
Leaf blower provides a high volume of air at decent speed. It’s used to move debris,leafs , dust etc, etc. Stick it in the intake during that brief engine run . If no blower available use compressed air .
After all , if you decide to reuse CAC , use a lot water and leaf blower too .

Ha ha ha .... it’s called advanced cleaning techniques. It’s for advanced mechanics. Hahaha
Took the intake off and I think all these little white specks are aluminum because it doesn't sparkle in the light, I'm thinking that's from the compressor wheel.it goes through the manifold as pictured and into the motor also pictured.I could see some very very small sparkles in there and I'm thinking those are probably steel pieces?? They are so small though that I hope it's not gonna be a problem. I didn't see any big chicks.
Also took the valve cover off and everything looks intact, I wiggled all the valves and they are tight. I'm about to drop the pan and I'll let you know what I find. Am I on the right track here?

[attachment=3485][attachment=3486]
Yup, you're doing fine. When you took the intake off you may want to have a vacuum cleaner handy. All that dirt and black soot that's built up in there you'll want to suck out if it becomes dislodged or loose. Be very very careful not to disturb a whole lot in there. Any pieces left behind that are loose will go straight to the valve into the cylinder andback out the exhaust may cause all kinds of problems.
Also if you think you have steel particles throughout things, you could always get a strong magnet and wave it around in there to pick them up. But then again be very very careful not to dislodge all that carbon and junk
Found some steel chunks in the oil pan mostly right under where the return oil line goes into the pan.also 2 o-rings about the size of a quarter??? So anyway im gonna put the new turbo and cac on tomorrow. What do I need to know about installing it right? I saw somewhere that your supposed to pre lube it So it doesn't spin dry on start up. How exactly do I do that?
I don't know anything about prelubing a turbo. I would assume who ever built or rebuilt the turbo would have taken the necessary steps to avoid dry spin on start up. On certified builds everything need to be lubed to prevent things from rusting while sitting on the shelf. But i guess a little engine oil in the oil port and a quick spin of the impeller wouldn't hurt.
Be sure you torque the 4 mounting bolts/nuts to 75 ft/lbs. And recheck them after it runs for a few day.

I just found mine loose today. I had a shrill whistling after a hard pull that sounded like the bearings were seizing. Nope, just loose mounting nuts. When the manifold and turbo would heat up they expand and everything was sealed and quiet then letting off the throttle on the down hill they would cool and contract allowing just enough of a leak to whistle and shreak at the gasket.

I tightened my nuts and the shreaking stopped....
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's