Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: My Pete rebuild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've posted here and there, but figured I'd try to put it all in one spot, just in case someone has an interest in following along in my madness.

So, I decided I was going to buy a truck. That was pretty much the end of my goal. Did I want to go back to driving? Fix and resell? Part it out? I still don't know for sure to be honest, but I'm going forward with intent to close my shop and go back driving.

At first I bounced all over the place, with the ELD mandate approaching, I really wanted a pre-2k truck, but prices were already starting to creep up on the old iron, and I just couldn't find anything in the 10-15k range that wasn't in horrible shape all around and completely wore out.

I was leaning toward something with an acert cat, then somehow stumbled on this forum and Rawze's YouTube videos. The sheer wealth of knowledge here on the ISX's is simply incomparable to anything. I would have liked a Prostar, but with the 13'3" height, it would not fit in my shop. I don't mind working outside on a hot summer day, but we don't have enough of them here, and my stuff always breaks when it's either raining or snowing.

Finally settled on a 08 Pete 386 sitting with a seized engine. Low mileage (662k) and in pretty good condition overall.

Settled on a price, and had it towed home.
I bought a Inline, and frustratingly got setup up on an old laptop to poke around a little. I need practice with it, but we'll worry about that when I have something that runs.

To get myself into the spirit, I pulled the cruddy steps off the frame, took apart and did some polishing. I hate seeing rusty bolts, so everything is getting replaced with stainless.

Time to start pushing the truck into the shop on weekends. With the help of my daughter and wife, we pulled the fairing off the roof and got it safely on the ground. Anyone want it? I'm not putting it back on no matter how much it saves in fuel.

After pulling the tank covers and battery box off, I finally have enough room to get to the transmission. If anyone out there can pull a transmission off one of these while leaving everything, including the DPF filter on without a pit, kudos to you.

Drained the transmission and got 2-3 pints of coolant, followed by the oil. So, at least I have a rebuilt transmission now. Also, while the Harbor Freight 2k transmission jack worked, I would not use it for this job with exception of a one time deal.

Pulled all the fun stuff off the front and found CAC cracked, so that's on the shopping list now too... but finally getting into the fun stuff.

Not a whole lot of pics, but head is off. Valve cam had some denting, and injector cam had one lobe with a frosted band. Took both in for polishing with hopes that the injector cam can be saved by polishing, otherwise +/- $1600 for new, $900-1k for reground seems to be the consensus.

Head is getting scrapped. Some minor wet valve stems, and while it actually could probably be freshened up and reused, I'm putting this together once, and I don't want to pull the head again anytime soon.

I abandoned my original block and crank. The #4 rod is welded onto the crank, and main bearing spun, along with the thrust bearings.

I took a chance at a used ebay block with a "like new crank and bearings" - but the seller left it out in the rain for a couple months, and then shipped it wet. I got a nice rusty crank that is not salvageable. Block looks usable, and new bearings were rolled in with '14 date codes. So other than needing to cut the counterbores and give it a good cleaning, it should be good to go.

I did take one gamble approach, and that is, I'm using new aftermarket head, crank, and rebuild kit, which I picked up yesterday.

Never mind my filthy floor - it's been a VERY long week.

Nice truck love the color. I know what you mean about closing shop. I bought up several trucks my self to thinking about getting into the world scenery. And closing shop...But then I think about how many people depend on us and that stops me from thinking that. But I use to transport trucks all the time when I was in the use truck industry and boy do I miss it at times....
I do auto and light truck - so it's a different world in a lot of aspects. I have some loyal, dedicated customers that really don't want to see me go, and if they made up 90% of my customer base, you wouldn't be able to talk me into closing. My flaw is trying to help people, and shooting myself in the foot in the process. I'm not a very good business man when dealing with people on a personal level. Empathy burns me every time, and it never seems to be rewarded with any sense of loyalty. If I GIVE you a set of tires when your wife is in the hospital and you're laid off, it would be nice if you even just called for quote next time, rather than just buying a set from the chain store in town.

Who knows, maybe doing this project will inspire me to build a bigger shop and open to heavy trucks. There's not much competition in the area, that's for sure. The best approach in this economically depressed area is a niche market - something that I have failed to be able to sort out.
(06-16-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]I do auto and light truck - so it's a different world in a lot of aspects. I have some loyal, dedicated customers that really don't want to see me go, and if they made up 90% of my customer base, you wouldn't be able to talk me into closing. My flaw is trying to help people, and shooting myself in the foot in the process. I'm not a very good business man when dealing with people on a personal level. Empathy burns me every time, and it never seems to be rewarded with any sense of loyalty. If I GIVE you a set of tires when your wife is in the hospital and you're laid off, it would be nice if you even just called for quote next time, rather than just buying a set from the chain store in town.

Who knows, maybe doing this project will inspire me to build a bigger shop and open to heavy trucks. There's not much competition in the area, that's for sure. The best approach in this economically depressed area is a niche market - something that I have failed to be able to sort out.

We need more Mr Hagg's and Unilevers, do it right and they will beat a path to your doorway. I have been to Mr Hagg's shop, they are lined up in the parking lot. The only thing he does different is he keeps his word and does the job he says he will do. Might want to call him. What part of the country are you in?
I see the IPD kit there, what brand crank did you go with?
(06-16-2018 )Brock Wrote: [ -> ]I see the IPD kit there, what brand crank did you go with?

I purchased it from Bolland Machine in Beaver Falls, PA. They were a little tight lipped about their source, as it could be exclusive for them. I can pretty much guarantee it's from China - but my ISX has China stamped all over it's internals from the factory.
Reference URL's