Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Diagnostic adapter recommendations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is a good GENUINE RP1210 adapter, other than Nexiq? The Nexiq USB Link 2 is around $680. Research on here seems to indicate the Nexiq clones are garbage, so those are out. I'd like to be able connect to different brands, including Cat, otherwise I would just go for an Inline clone. So my question really is this - are there any other non-clone "universal" adapters out there that are less money than the Nexiq, and still work well? I looked at Jpro, then saw Rawze's scathing review. Plus the Jpro adapter is about the same cost as the Nexiq anyway.

TIA
For cummins stuff, ability to flash cummins ecm, combined with truck general troubleshooting, chneese or genuine inlene 5 or 6 is fine.

For non-cummins stuff like CAT, etc. and you want to flash a cat or other non-cummins ECM, - genuine nexiq.

If your working on other people's stuff -- YOU NEED BOTH!. Problematic communications issues when working on other people's stuff are quite common. Sometimes having a different type of adapter + the extra OEM harnesses to go with them will save you hours and hours of pulling your hair out after you loose communications on something in the middle of a flash, and now the engine is a brick until you get it recovered.
Just working on our own stuff - 2000 Sterling with C10 Cat, plus a 2016 6.7L in a pickup that we may want to connect to with Insite etc in the future. I think I can get away with just a Nexiq for all of the above - my understanding is that the Cummins programs are supposed to work with the Nexiq.

One thing I haven't considered - can the Inline 5 or 6 be used a generic adapter and function with non Cummins software?

Ideally I could find a lower cost alternative to the Nexiq that would do all of the above.
Genuine nexiq is the way to go imo.
Reference URL's