Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Leaking diaphragm... AGAIN.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-piece-s...35555.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-ra...63261.html

So i found these two at harbor freight, havent picked them up but im hoping these will do the job just fine.
So I got the coolant housing off, wasn’t to bad. It most work getting prepared for the job then the actual work.

So here are some pics of the old thermostat n seal.

Tell me what you guys think.
looks worn.

seal likely needs replacement too.
(11-15-2019 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]looks worn.

seal likely needs replacement too.

One thing i didnt like is the wear pattern on the thermostat... like half of it was more worn then the other. maybe i installed the seal unevenly the first time and it was maybe opening and closing crooked?.

I was looking on quickserve today and last night trying to see how i can test or check my water pump and i couldn't find anything.

thanks rawze.
my thermostat had those same wear marks after only being in the engine 6 months when we did my head i went from the 190 i had put in back to a stocker.
(11-15-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote: [ -> ]my thermostat had those same wear marks after only being in the engine 6 months when we did my head i went from the 190 i had put in back to a stocker.

So i tested the thermostat with some boiling water and it worked just fine.

I'm going to finish up the job tomorrow and go on from there.
(11-16-2019 )Evotrucker Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2019 )Lonestar10 Wrote: [ -> ]my thermostat had those same wear marks after only being in the engine 6 months when we did my head i went from the 190 i had put in back to a stocker.

I have found that if the brass ring is distorted and the thermostat is tight in it, then it will hang up and cause issues with the water temps.

When I install a new one, I always check it for this, and when needed, I will usually also use a dremel /w sanding disk to adjust the turkon seal inside the brass ring a bit if needed to make sure it is not a too tight fit to the moving part of the thermostat.

Yours looks like it was possibly scraping pretty hard on one side in those pics.
Not as hard as mine was in 2016 lol

[attachment=5794]
(11-16-2019 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2019 )Evotrucker Wrote: [ -> ]

I have found that if the brass ring is distorted and the thermostat is tight in it, then it will hang up and cause issues with the water temps.

When I install a new one, I always check it for this, and when needed, I will usually also use a dremel /w sanding disk to adjust the turkon seal inside the brass ring a bit if needed to make sure it is not a too tight fit to the moving part of the thermostat.

Yours looks like it was possibly scraping pretty hard on one side in those pics.

I was checking out the old ring and it may have been to tyt on it... so i looked at it closely and noticed it needed to be cleaned up both where the thermostat sits and the seal. I was surprised how much gunk was laying on the surface on the rim. Hopefully that did the trick for me?.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Reference URL's