Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Flywheels, OEM or aftermarket
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok let me start by saying I hate aftermarket parts, I really do, but I am in the middle of a flywheel housing gasket job and I am going to replace my flywheel. A new OEM cummins flywheel is $1330.00, I can get an aftermarket knock off for about $300.

What do you guys think? Any experience with aftermarket flywheels?

Thanks
Id say it depends on who made the aftermarket. I personally cant see an oem chunk of machined steel being $1000 higher quality than an aftermarket chunk of machined steel. Maybe check out google reviews of the aftermarket wheel
If you're concerned about quality of the steel between OEM and aftermarket, you could always go to salvage yard and pick one out if a low mileage wreck and have it machined. Flywheels last a loooooong time. I've seen guys use them for millions of miles as long as the starter teeth stay good.
(03-03-2021 )JMBT Wrote: [ -> ]Ok let me start by saying I hate aftermarket parts, I really do, but I am in the middle of a flywheel housing gasket job and I am going to replace my flywheel. A new OEM cummins flywheel is $1330.00, I can get an aftermarket knock off for about $300.

What do you guys think? Any experience with aftermarket flywheels?

Thanks

I had mine faced and re-installed.

Are the teeth that engage the starter messed up/worn out?
Assuming you're original flywheel is not resurfaceable and can be reused. I would look at the price difference as $1,030.00 insurance policy that you don't have to take it all back apart again. Remember every time you drop and reinstall a trans you're putting that rear structure seal at risk. Not to mention a possible tow bill that could far exceed your cost savings if it turns out the teeth on that aftermarket one are made out of butter ;)
Well I got the transmission out last night. I haven’t pulled the clutch and flywheel yet, but the teeth on the flywheel look fine from what I can see. I was surprised that at 810,000 miles the wear indicator on the clutch still shows it has about 3/4 of its linings left.

Would it be crazy to consider reusing a clutch with that many miles?

Once I get the flywheel out I’ll see how bad it looks, maybe just resurface and reinstall.
If the teeth are fine feel the surface and see if it needs machined, i think it costs about 100 bucks to turn one. Yes, U need to replace that clutch. If u wanna save some $ check out the alliance brand easy pedal from the freightshaker dealer.
At that many miles even if the plates looks good your throwout bearing will undoubtedly come apart a week later in the middle of rush hour houston traffic or something.
smorgan87, yeah that IS the kind of luck I have!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's