Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: 2013 ISX Loosing power when engine is warm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. l have freightliner Cascadia with ISX 2013. 950mileas Truck is deleted. (for sure not good tune)
Truck in past 3 years had replaced turbo 3 times. Last one l replaced due to sized turbo ''flap'' arm(was throwing codes for actuator calibration)
Overhaul was done 1 year ago (no issues with that) just info.
New all 6 fuel injectors, new head, liners protrusion 0.14
Fuel pump brand new all assembly 1.5 year old. checked already plungers and pump is fine
2 or 3 EGR coolers replaced in past 3 years(not sure what reason i think it was antifreeze leak) EGR valve is unplugged.
Exhaust pressure sensor new and clean tube
Boost pressure sensor 5months ago
Barometric press, sensor is new
Tune up done
No boost leaks

What l can see truck is loosing power, with pressed accelerator pedal on hill (bobtail) truck is not accelerate as should. speed stays same or even dropping down little. At this moment fuel pressure commended and measured is same 32k, exhaust pressures is 100-120inhg, boost pressure max i saw 50inhg. turbo actuator position is same as commended. The driver said it is hard to pass from 1400 to -1650rpm then truck gets power back(it is like boost lag at this rpms) just with load it takes from 58mph to 70mph very long time even on flat road.
This happening when truck is warmed on cold not at all, also is not happening all the time but most of the time on hot engine. Driver mention that in states where it is very warm it is worst(even more power he loosing)
Done test drive with open exhaust pipe(same)

There are codes for inlet NOX sensor(truck is deleted but wires were damaged, i have fixed them but code still appears, sensor is plugged in.)
SPN355 FMI N/A, 2 COUNTS when he come to the shop now is not returning back couple test drives.
SPN 171 fmi2 not active but comes back each time. l think just a sensor.
Truck now is in Illinois

Any good clues? i know it can be many things but still l need someone who may had similar issue or just ideas
People discovering they have a bad delete program is a daily occurrence around here. It is the norm (more than 90% of all cases), not the exception, ... although most people would deny it until its too late for their engine and/or turbo. It is an absolute plague in the trucking industry with some overly-greedy bas$tard around every street corner ready to rip you off for some hard cas$h.

Copy the program from the ecm and e-mail it to me so that i can tell you exactly what someone did in there. Assume the de-mandate program is bad, as more than 90% of all of them are. Frankly, I am surprised you let it run that long to begin with, without having the programming reviewed properly, considering damage to the turbo and gawd knows what else progressive damage internal to the engine at this point.

EGR valve should not have to be unplugged either. Another sign of shotty programming. is the harness going down to the cans unplugged as well?. If so, then you could also have J1939 network issues, causing turbo actuator failures every so often too. Another common mistake by the collection of typical delete shops clueless idiots out there.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid67656

- Also assume the cans under the truck have not been done properly too. Your post about loosing power points towards this as well. This is a very common problem as well, as a lot of these clowns do not hollow out everything to the bare metal.. or they do not do the SCR canister.. or other issues. One easy way to check if that is what is holding the power back is to take it around the block on a hard test. Check the boost levels. Disconnect the exhaust pipe before the cans under there and take it on a second test drive to see if it picks up power, or a psi or so boost. - If everything is properly hollowed out, nothing should change.

50 inhg (24 lbs) boost sounds like maybe a clogged up exhaust or intake too. Maybe bad programming?. .. who knows at this point .. That or perhaps the turbo is bad yet again, because a CM2350 ISX is supposed to have about 33-psi boost (about 68 inhg) in a hard pull.

Ensure that thing does NOT have one of those after-garbage Charge air Coolers units on it too. Aftermarket CAC units are VERY restrictive and cause all kinds of boost and other issues.

As far as the EGR cooler leaking.. someone screwed up installing it is all that I can say. It is very rare for one to leak these days otherwise. Maybe they installed it in a bind, maybe they did not use a dam%m torque wrench and over tightened the mounting bolts where it could not expand under heat,.. etc.etc. etc. - something went wrong. Likely an idiot mechanic that was speed-gun happy.

here is some info on copying the program out of that ecm...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid72945

You also need to find out what the actual cummins fault codes that it is throwing instead of that obscure SPN garbage. Connect the Insite software to it and find out what those faults actually are.
Reference URL's