Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: New(to me) truck with unknown tuning.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Its very possible its that transition I am feeling on the Decel. I wouldn't say its runs bad, it just has more vibration that I can feel in the cab(I was blown away how smooth and quiet everything was on the stock files). That being said I have not had an opportunity to drive it since my Africa overlay experiment. The multiplex fault that came up was a new one to me. The stock files even with no multiplex programming were not setting this fault.

I should have some time this weekend to mess around with it some more and see.
(07-22-2023 )mattdm Wrote: [ -> ]Its very possible its that transition I am feeling on the Decel. I wouldn't say its runs bad, it just has more vibration that I can feel in the cab(I was blown away how smooth and quiet everything was on the stock files). That being said I have not had an opportunity to drive it since my Africa overlay experiment. The multiplex fault that came up was a new one to me. The stock files even with no multiplex programming were not setting this fault.

I should have some time this weekend to mess around with it some more and see.

Run it for a few days after getting as much of the settings that got lost restored as you can. Do not clear any faults in it, and then copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it back to me. I will be able to see the newly collected engine data + any faults that have occurred, then be able to help you resolve them from there.

Also, if there are any questions about details on the programming itself, any changes that were made and why, etc... then people are more than welcome to join me on my mumble server and I can go over it with them directly. I have nothing to hide and am always willing to teach/explain anything done in the programming to anyone wanting to learn it.
Here is the error it its throwing. Curiously it is no longer keeping the Check Engine warning active on the dash. Fixed a few settings in the insite parameters and my buttons are working now, but the error is still present.

I will try to get a drive in and then pull the file back out and send it for review.

[attachment=9025]
(07-22-2023 )mattdm Wrote: [ -> ]Here is the error it its throwing. Curiously it is no longer keeping the Check Engine warning active on the dash. Fixed a few settings in the insite parameters and my buttons are working now, but the error is still present.

I will try to get a drive in and then pull the file back out and send it for review.

yup, the buttons in the dash are at a different address on your truck, and have gotten lost when you lost the dash settings. There are 2 options to fix it. Find the right multiplex addresses for those specific buttons... or since they are no longer actually used (engine is de-mandated and the regen switches in the dash are no longer needed), they can be completely switched off in the engine programming itself.

I normally do not switch off those buttons themselves these days. 2019 and newer trucks often require those buttons to keep getting signals from the engine or they throw a J1939 fault in the dash. Some vehicle dash clusters are finicky this way these days .. but yours however is an older truck. Those switches can be un-mapped completely and the dash will not care about it.

here is what they can be set to, to switch them off...
[attachment=9024]
Sent you a file after a drive with some notes. Feels good and smooth driving, but did throw a MAP sensor fault when I got into it going up a hill. Power was surging.

Im not sure how to use the info in that picture. I went to address 0x0007337 and it and every bit around it has a value hex value of 46.
(07-23-2023 )mattdm Wrote: [ -> ]Im not sure how to use the info in that picture. I went to address 0x0007337 and it and every bit around it has a value hex value of 46.

Those are not addresses in the ecm program. They are the 'ITN' (Index Translation Numbers) for each of those settings. They are only there for documentation/reference purposes, mostly as part of the descriptions. If a person wanted to actually change those particular settings, they would use the CT software to edit those settings via the parameter names, and not any kind of addresses. I updated the pic above to show what the fields are.

I also see that you put the vin# back into the program you sent me. According to the vin#, the engine ser# is not the same as the ser# in the program. I wonder why that is. Is this the original engine?.. or is the ser# wrong in the program?.

According to your program, you have engine ser# 79547693, but your vin# reports engine ser# 79546361. - Which one is the correct one according ot the engine data-plate/engine cover?.?.
(07-23-2023 )mattdm Wrote: [ -> ]Sent you a file after a drive with some notes. Feels good and smooth driving, but did throw a MAP sensor fault when I got into it going up a hill. Power was surging.

It is not normal at all to get IMAP sensor alarms so something is definitely wrong.

Maybe IMAP sensor could be not plugged in all the way?. This is a very common issue if someone tries to plug it in and its mounted in its hole already. Connector does not slide all the way up sometimes. Could be bad sensor, covered in carbon and soot, etc.. or maybe someone tried to clean it with some spray cleaner or something instead of replacing it with a new one. Another no-no, as it cannot be properly cleaned.

Also, that code is thrown sometimes by mistake if the barro sensor is reading way off, or the exhaust back-pressure sensor is not reading right.

ISX's are also notorious for getting the exhaust (gas) back-pressure sensor circuit clogged up really bad and then it does not read correctly. The sensor itself is also only good for about 4 or 5 years, and/or about 400k miles or so too. - Could be an old sensor reading incorrectly, but there is an even heavier chance that the feed circuit is either clogged up for it going thru the thermostat housing, or the little cross-tube gong between the bottom of the thermostat housing to the exhaust manifold is broken off, missing, etc. too.

(this tube sometimes breaks off, or is mistakenly removed by bad delete places)..
[attachment=9027]

One way to check the exhaust gas pressure sensor circuit is clogged up is to remove the sensor itself and spray a liberal amount of brake-cleaner into the hole where it mounts. If it pools up, then the the circuit thru the thermostat housing is clogged up and needs to be cleared out. Also use your fingers to tug a bit on the little tube that makes a sort-of 'u-turn' going to the exhaust manifold near cylinder-#1 to ensure it is not broken off at the manifold etc.

If the passage is clogged up, then remove the upper cross-pipe fitting (not the end on the manifold, as it tends to break off) .. and clean out the passage with a long drill-bit (by hand just to dig the packed up carbon out, not a drill) or piece of stiff wire, etc.. and get it opened up again.

I also hope that some moron has not removed it. Some places that do de-mandates remove that tube and section of exhaust like fools and then the exhaust back-pressure sensor can no longer read anything. It was indeed shut off (and should not have been) in your bad delete program you originally sent me.

That sensor not working properly makes the engine unable to detect miss-fire and other cylinder balancing conditions, and results in all sorts of other negative effects.

you could also have some wiring issues to one of those sensors too.

-============

I.E.> Something is causing the surging and making it act up + throw those faults.

Tags:
ISX exhaust gas pressure sensor issues, ISX surging, Exhaust gas tube, exhaust back-pressure sensor issues, ISX miss-fire codes
(07-23-2023 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]I also see that you put the vin# back into the program you sent me. According to the vin#, the engine ser# is not the same as the ser# in the program. I wonder why that is. Is this the original engine?.. or is the ser# wrong in the program?.

According to your program, you have engine ser# 79547693, but your vin# reports engine ser# 79546361. - Which one is the correct one according ot the engine data-plate/engine cover?.?.

Interesting that you mention that. The Data plate says 79546361, but ive suspected this is not the original motor since purchasing the truck. The Data plate is also held on with double sided tape and practically falling off. Is there any other location id be able to find the Serial number?
Flashed the Updated File. Multiplex faults are gone. Took it for a drive and it did the same thing. Any high range gear foot to the floor and I can make it do it every time.

Out of curiosity I flashed my CL10105 Africa File back and went for a drive again. No fault and all the power.

Both the MAP and EBP seem to be reading properly in live data.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's