Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Welding Peterbilt Y pipe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Y pipe on the DEF side of my 2014 peterbilt 388 has cracked right in the centre, instead of replacing it $$$$, i have it setup to weld as its cracked perfectly in the Y center. Ive heard so many different procedures on welding on trucks, now im wondering what the best protection is for the ECM and electrical components is. #1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Or #2 hook up surge protector to positive and negative on battery? I have the ground for the welder setup maybe 7 inches or so from the crack on one of the exhaust clamp bolts. What do you guys think?
Safest thing would be to weld it with it off the truck. Other than that, just make sure you have a good ground very close to where you are going to be welding, and that there is a second ground to the frame as well from the pipe near the welding area.

I have also heard of people putting 2 grounds form their welder on either side of the area to weld too.
Reference URL's