Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Cm2250 oil pans in 2023
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, my 2012 Pete cm2250 oil pan is starting to weep oil through on of the bottom rear corners and I'm looking for a replacement. First stop was quickserve/parts.cummins.com which yielded a part number of 3690567. Next stop was shop.cummins.com which means gave me a heart attack listing a new pan for $2,027.02 USD. Ouch.

My question, for the people who know and deal with this regularly, is that a normal price for a new pan or what? Should I look for a used pan instead? Or is this the rare occasion where an aftermarket (cringe) part will work ok or better?

The new pan is readily available and I have a regular oil change scheduled for next weekend. I was kinda hoping to replace the pan during the scheduled oil change but wasn't looking to spend 2k on a new pan if I can help it.

Thoughts or opinions?
Yeah that is a correctish price which is pretty outlandish imho. We'd sell it for a little less than that. We've been doing aftermarket pans when needed as an almost $2000 oil pan is a hard sell.
Get an aftermarket pan..... it's just an oil pan.
There's a place in PA that makes stainless pans that quoted me $1,500 about 2 month ago. that's less than oem and should last forever if that's what your after!!

https://bhoilpans.com/index.html
I used a PAI pan had a local powdercoater do it b4 I installed it. It was half of the Cummins price 6 years ago and is holding up very well for New England. My father has been using BH Tubes Stainless pans on his Macks. And they have been awesome. He said it was a third of the price.
I have an after-market oil pan on mine. - I had to strip its garbage paint job off of it, coat it in por-15 ... then top coat it in Flex-Seal (in the can version, not the garbage spray).. and it will likely never rust out now like the factory one finally did after 1.2 million miles.
I ordered mine from this company. PAI. Less than $500.
https://www.woodlineparts.com/search?typ...ns+oil+pan
(07-30-2023 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]I have an after-market oil pan on mine. - I had to strip its garbage paint job off of it, coat it in por-15 ... then top coat it in Flex-Seal (in the can version, not the garbage spray).. and it will likely never rust out now like the factory one finally did after 1.2 million miles.

Unless you installed another one, I was there doing my inframe when you replaced your oil pan. Didn't even realize it was aftermarket.

I know the mantra is typically only cummins parts in the engine, but if Rawze and the gang give their blessings for aftermarket here, well that says a lot. This is the only place I trust to get quality information for my engine/tractor.

That BH in PA sounds nice and I might get some coolant and/or heater pipes from them once I can verify the part numbers, but the PAI pan from woodline is $455 with gasket or $348 without gasket and at that price I don't think I can pass that up. Was planning to paint it up like Rawze did anyway.

Gasket... Do I need a new one or should my existing gasket, which hasn't leaked at all since my inframe, still work fine?
(07-31-2023 )JimT Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-30-2023 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]I have an after-market oil pan on mine. - I had to strip its garbage paint job off of it, coat it in por-15 ... then top coat it in Flex-Seal (in the can version, not the garbage spray).. and it will likely never rust out now like the factory one finally did after 1.2 million miles.

Unless you installed another one, I was there doing my inframe when you replaced your oil pan. Didn't even realize it was aftermarket.

I know the mantra is typically only cummins parts in the engine, but if Rawze and the gang give their blessings for aftermarket here, well that says a lot. This is the only place I trust to get quality information for my engine/tractor.

That BH in PA sounds nice and I might get some coolant and/or heater pipes from them once I can verify the part numbers, but the PAI pan from woodline is $455 with gasket or $348 without gasket and at that price I don't think I can pass that up. Was planning to paint it up like Rawze did anyway.

Gasket... Do I need a new one or should my existing gasket, which hasn't leaked at all since my inframe, still work fine?

If you used pipe dope (the mushed wet paper looking type stuffs) like I typically recommend for the corners of the block at the oil pan gasket instead of silicone, then the pan gasket can be cleaned up and re-used. If you used silicone, then you will most likely need a new gasket.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's