Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Need help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So December of 2021 I bought my 2016 Peterbilt 389 with an ISX. It was already de mandated to bare bones. I was excited at first thinking I wouldn’t have to deal with de mandated problems and have a nice powerful long lasting motor. From jump street I had to find a tune because the ECM was looking for VGT turbo and they removed that and put a {puke brand} turbo on here with their manifold. My engine would build boost to 35psi and almost immediately fall to 10-15psi. I got {another horrible big-name tuning company out of canada} to tune my ECM and from what I’ve read here that was probably a bad idea. I live in Charlotte and was wondering if anyone knows a place I can go and at least have my ECM looked at. Haven’t had any issues with truck until yesterday I had a shop change my governor from automatic to variable speed and now my throttle is acting weird. I can barely press it and the truck wants to haul ass and then fades as more peddle is pressed. I did gain 1.3 mpg as of today from 6.2-7.5. But truck doesn’t seem to want to go past 1600rpm at all and if it does it just turning the engine fast with 30lbs of boost and the power seems to stop. Anyway I know I have a garbage de mandate and a garbage tune. I’m new so please go easy on me. If anyone is willing to help I’d be greatly appreciative. Thanks again for allowing me to join this group.
We see it all the time around here. People get caught up in that garbage way too often. Unfortunately, it is the norm, not the exception... trading the DPF problems away for even more costly engine and turbocharger failures instead.

Priority is to get all the parts together to put back that VG turbo ... and to copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me to have it reviewed.

It can be de-mandated properly,... but that VG turbo, original exhaust manifold (to bolt the turbo to) & intake manifold (if it has been replaced with after-garbage) needs to be put back on it, and the red-neck, engine killing, trash removed.

Here is almost the same exact story. Read thru this thread to get more info on what should be done.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid77389
(08-13-2023 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]We see it all the time around here. People get caught up in that garbage way too often. Unfortunately, it is the norm, not the exception... trading the DPF problems away for even more costly engine and turbocharger failures instead.

Priority is to get all the parts together to put back that VG turbo ... and to copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me to have it reviewed.

It can be de-mandated properly,... but that VG turbo, original exhaust manifold (to bolt the turbo to) & intake manifold (if it has been replaced with after-garbage) needs to be put back on it, and the red-neck, engine killing, trash removed.

Here is almost the same exact story. Read thru this thread to get more info on what should be done.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid77389

I still have the factory intake manifold installed on the truck. Where do I find a reasonable VGT turbo and exhaust manifold to put back on my truck. Also the exhaust goes straight from the turbo to the stacks doesn’t go through the filter at all so I’m not sure if that has been tampered with at all.
I also don’t have the bypass tube to send coolant to back of motor either. I’ve never had bad temps but I do know I need to get the coolant to the #5 #6 cylinders.
(08-13-2023 )carr7883 Wrote: [ -> ]I still have the factory intake manifold installed on the truck. Where do I find a reasonable VGT turbo and exhaust manifold to put back on my truck. Also the exhaust goes straight from the turbo to the stacks doesn’t go through the filter at all so I’m not sure if that has been tampered with at all.

As to the exhaust the only thing important to the engine is that it flows freely (no restrictions) and doesn't reflect heat back to the engine. If you have straight pipes then that should be fine. On the other hand, if you want it to look stock then the DOC, DPF and SCR cans all need to be completely empty inside. Many places leave the original exhaust untouched or only drill a few small holes through the material. That is what leads to some big problems down the road.
(08-13-2023 )JimT Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2023 )carr7883 Wrote: [ -> ]I still have the factory intake manifold installed on the truck. Where do I find a reasonable VGT turbo and exhaust manifold to put back on my truck. Also the exhaust goes straight from the turbo to the stacks doesn’t go through the filter at all so I’m not sure if that has been tampered with at all.

As to the exhaust the only thing important to the engine is that it flows freely (no restrictions) and doesn't reflect heat back to the engine. If you have straight pipes then that should be fine. On the other hand, if you want it to look stock then the DOC, DPF and SCR cans all need to be completely empty inside. Many places leave the original exhaust untouched or only drill a few small holes through the material. That is what leads to some big problems down the road.

Would I need the factory exhaust manifold or will the Puke Junk I have be ok?
(08-13-2023 )carr7883 Wrote: [ -> ]...

The problem with the puke junk exhaust manifold is that the VG turbo will not likely bolt back up to it. The garbage turbo they sell is noting but a $400 12/7 Detroit turbo that anyone can get at a freight liner stealers$it, but they have their own label on the housing, and proceed to the jack the price into the thousands of dollar range for the poor suckers out there who don't know any better. Like I said.. the whole thing is a scam and people fall for it in droves.

It is good that you have the factory intake manifold on it. Those after-garbage manifolds have the baffles missing (in the name of hi-flow bulls$it), and this causes #5 and #6 cylinders to get impacted with more air than the front cylinders, unbalancing the engine intake... causing harm over time.

It is a hard pill to swallow finding out that everything done to it was complete garbage.. and its going to be an ever harder pill to swallow knowing now that you paid several people to re-flash that ecm for $3,000+ or more at a time.. only to go from one garbage to another garbage shi#t-box rip-off delete tune.

The trucking industry is absolutely plagued with rip-off delete companies around every corner.. all more than happy to take you for all you are worth.. and promise the world.. only to sell you the same engine killing garbage in different flavors... the bigger the name, and more ex$pensive they charge, .. exponentially, the worse they are... and ALL ALONG.. YOU COULD HAVE DONE IT 100% RIGHT, FOR NEXT TO NOTHING.. CORRECTLY@!!!.. OR FOR FREE!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF AND TAKEN FULL ADVANTAGE OF!!.. PLAIN ANS SIMPLE!!!... And we see it about every day on here. It is beyond a complete shame.
Here is what you ended up co=aught up into... The bad delete collection...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

As far as getting parts for it.. find a junk yard and get everything you can from a blown engine/wrecked truck. Things like connection pipes, fittings, perhaps a manifold, .. who knows. etc. - whatever you can to get it back right.. and as for the turbo .. maybe check with YTS turbo out of Griffin, GA. to see what he might have on hand. Many people use him for their turbo needs, as the guy is very OCD about what he does with them... has a good track record.

Maybe try to get with the person who had that stuff removed.. and see if they have the old parts?. One never knows.

As far as the programming goes ... you need to copy the program out of the ecm using the appropriate software and e-mail it to me for review. - Find out how bad it really is.
here is what t usually takes: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid72945
(08-13-2023 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-13-2023 )carr7883 Wrote: [ -> ]...

The problem with the puke junk exhaust manifold is that the VG turbo will not likely bolt back up to it. The garbage turbo they sell is noting but a $400 12/7 Detroit turbo that anyone can get at a freight liner stealers$it, but they have their own label on the housing, and proceed to the jack the price into the thousands of dollar range for the poor suckers out there who don't know any better. Like I said.. the whole thing is a scam and people fall for it in droves.

It is good that you have the factory intake manifold on it. Those after-garbage manifolds have the baffles missing (in the name of hi-flow bulls$it), and this causes #5 and #6 cylinders to get impacted with more air than the front cylinders, unbalancing the engine intake... causing harm over time.

It is a hard pill to swallow finding out that everything done to it was complete garbage.. and its going to be an ever harder pill to swallow knowing now that you paid several people to re-flash that ecm for $3,000+ or more at a time.. only to go from one garbage to another garbage shi#t-box rip-off delete tune.

The trucking industry is absolutely plagued with rip-off delete companies around every corner.. all more than happy to take you for all you are worth.. and promise the world.. only to sell you the same engine killing garbage in different flavors... the bigger the name, and more ex$pensive they charge, .. exponentially, the worse they are... and ALL ALONG.. YOU COULD HAVE DONE IT 100% RIGHT, FOR NEXT TO NOTHING.. CORRECTLY@!!!.. OR FOR FREE!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF AND TAKEN FULL ADVANTAGE OF!!.. PLAIN ANS SIMPLE!!!... And we see it about every day on here. It is beyond a complete shame.
Here is what you ended up co=aught up into... The bad delete collection...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

As far as getting parts for it.. find a junk yard and get everything you can from a blown engine/wrecked truck. Things like connection pipes, fittings, perhaps a manifold, .. who knows. etc. - whatever you can to get it back right.. and as for the turbo .. maybe check with YTS turbo out of Griffin, GA. to see what he might have on hand. Many people use him for their turbo needs, as the guy is very OCD about what he does with them... has a good track record.

Maybe try to get with the person who had that stuff removed.. and see if they have the old parts?. One never knows.

As far as the programming goes ... you need to copy the program out of the ecm using the appropriate software and e-mail it to me for review. - Find out how bad it really is.
here is what t usually takes: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid72945

Thank you so much for all the information you gave me earlier today it was a pleasure speaking with you.
If Jim passes on my old prostar I have a manifold and new turbo/actuator and all the parts you would need to bring it back up to stock along with the software to pull and flash the tune. Presuming of course all we need to do is reclock the output housing of the turbo.
Reference URL's