Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: ISM Overheating EGR???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good morning. Have a 2003 ISM320 V that is experiencing overheating problems. Replaced thermostat and put new water pump in (as she hasn't been replaced before). Still problems persist. Decided to plug in today with insite to see if gauge temp was similar to ecm temp. Found code 2271 EGR Valve Position Circuit - Voltage Above normal or shorted to high source.

So, if EGR is failed or failing will it produce a motor that overheats? My intuition says highly likely but wanted to hear if anyone has experienced such a problem. Thanks!
not sure about yours, however ...

Most of the time on the ISX... if one overheats all the time even after a new thermostat, it is usually only a few things...

== (most common) The brass ring in the bottom of the thermostat housing was not replaced and is bad.. or was installed and got damaged.

== The radiator, (or A/C or CAC element) is impacted and cannot breathe properly, has never been properly cleaned out.

== The fan clutch is slipping and not turning the fan hard enough to pull air thru the radiator properly any more.

== Engine fan itself is bad.. or shroud is not installed properly.. or the fan itself was installed backwards after some service work was done.

== The water pump impeller is damaged or (incorrect model after a replacement) and not pushing enough coolant thru the system.

=== The upper radiator hose going from the radiator is collapsing under load for one or more various reasons. I.E.> Spring is missing after replacement, or collapsing due to it getting old,. etc.

== Its an RV and the electric fans have problems ... or some moron turned up the engine power, or some other thing and the engine compartment cannot handle the air flow properly for various reasons.

-- take your pick.

The EGR getting stuck will not cause the whole engine to overheat like that,.. no, but will cause other issues.
Thank you sir. As always extremely helpful. My battle shall continue! Thank you!
Reference URL's