Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Power Steering Noise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all. Got a front end alignment done on Tuesday afternoon, fix up the wandering I was having. Then Thursday morning I started getting noise while turning the wheel. At first it was non-existent at idle RPM and only noticable up around 1400 or so. Now however this morning (Friday) it's starting to make noise even at idle. Only happens when I actively turn the wheel.

Fluid and filter were last changed in either late 2018 or early 2019 by the old shop I used, so that was probably about 250-300k miles ago. Haven't had any other issues or symptoms, no loss of power, though it could be slightly harder to turn or it could just be in my head.

Unless I'm completely mistaken the power steering pump is on the back of the air compressor, which was completely replaced roadside back in either 2019 or 2020 (I'm on the road right now and don't remember off the top of my head).

I have no experience yet with power steering systems so any input, help and advice would be appreciated. Don't want to blindly poke at it or randomly replace parts if I can help it.

2012 Pete 587
ISX CM2250
Power steering filter and fluid should be changed every 250k miles.

(just some random related thoughts)...
Power steering maintenence is one of the most neglected things on many trucks until there are problems, so this is a reminder for those reading this post...lol.

Also, the power steering pump is more likely to go out than the power steering unit itself ... but nothing lasts forever.

I ended up replacing my power steering unit on my own truck only one time in 1.4 million miles. I think it was around the 800k mileage or so. This old post mentions it: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid10314

and here is more on why someone should NOT try to rebuild their own power steering unit, but should replace it if it has gone bad instead ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid15288
Is the pump a Cummins part that I should lookup via quickserv and source directly from Cummins or is that something I can get from somewhere like fleetpride?
Thanks for that info Rawze. Probably wouldn't have considered rebuilding it before, but that was good reasoning.

Based on a couple old posts i found on here I'm thinking it could be the relief valve in the power steering pump. It works normal, no noise at idle. Turns nice and smooth. But with the RPM's up around 1500 the pump is plenty noisy when I turn the wheel. Also after my first post I started to notice on tight turns in the parking lot that it the noise wound persist but the power steering assist would come and go. Half way through turning the wheel it would almost feel like it got stuck for a second. Again, only at higher RPM's. Try the same turns near idle and it's all smooth still.
Also check the suction hose from the pump to the reservoir. If a clamp is loose or the suction hose isn’t sealed properly for one reason or another it will cause that irritating noise, this hose collapsing will also.
(08-25-2023 )Bengy88 Wrote: [ -> ]Also check the suction hose from the pump to the reservoir. If a clamp is loose or the suction hose isn’t sealed properly for one reason or another it will cause that irritating noise, this hose collapsing will also.

That also reminds me that people should also check to see how stiff that hose is. They get brittle and stiff over time and then give problems/leak, suck air, etc. A new hose is always recommended during pump replacement or if it looks like its getting leaky/stiff. If unsure about the stiffness/age of the hose, go buy a new one and compare.
Sounds like a bad pump to me. Mine had that same mid stop issue. Also sometimes it would shake the steering wheel, like the boxes were fighting against each other. I have duel gears, 20k front axle and Kenworth was able to get me my part number, they didn’t stock it, but Local transmission/ diff shop did & it’s been fine ever since. I put all new hoses, new fluid, new filter at the same time. Don’t cheep out on fluid, use what your truck manufacturer calls for
I use Dextron-III in the power steering. TRW (power steering box manufacturer) out of Pennsylvania said to me a few years ago that their recommendation of oils in those steering boxes is in this order...

#1. Dextron-III. (best)
#2. Engine oil of choice . (still decent)
#3. Power steering fluid. (not as good but will not void warranty)

Synthetic versions of these oils for cold climates.
Thanks. Picked up a new pump yesterday on the way home. $670 for the pump (PEV1816-18R101) and $4 for the gasket from Peterbilt. I'd shop around but they had it in stock and I'm loaded with the first leg of a tri-haul. With business being slow right now it'd cost me more in down time then I'd save on parts. I had all new Dextron-III fluid, filter and plastic reservoir top ready to go as I knew it was about time to change the fluid. Only thing I don't have right now is new hoses, but the existing ones look like they've been replaced already so not too worried this weekend. I'll still look into getting new hoses this fall when I also go through and replace all my fuel lines.

Any recommendations on the best way to drain the old fluid out? I see a bolt/plug on the bottom front of the steering gear box, would that be for draining or is that something else? Last time it was drained a shop did it, so this is my first time personally.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's