Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Air Cooled Transmission Cooler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for suggestions on type and where to mount for an Air Cooled Tranny Cooler.

My truck is a 2014 Pete 388 with 13 speed Eaton. I going to have to drain my coolant to fix a leak on that blasted manifold under the cab and I'm DONE with dang coolant leaks under there because as a car hauler with low ground clearance I can't physically get under it without blocking it up and if a leak happens on the road I'm in a real tough spot. The engine is deleted (@m*m^2 if anyone is curious) so I can eliminate the final piece of the coolant under the cab by changing out that tranny cooler, which I need to do anyway for the fear it's going to dump coolant into my tranny. So by going to an air cooled cooler I can completely eliminate ALL potential under cab coolant leaks.

If anyone has suggestion on what type of cooler to get and where to potentially mount it I would be greatly appreciative.
I had a similar issue with coolant leaks on my rig, and I switched to an air-cooled tranny cooler as well. I mounted mine behind the grille to get better airflow, and it's been working like a charm. Just make sure it's securely mounted and has good exposure to fresh air.
This is a MUCH better option price wise through eBay, thank you for that for sure. It states that the Hayden cooler is 18"h x 38"L. That is a pretty darn large size, now I'm wondering where in the heck am I going to mount that thing?

What would those hose sizes be, and is the size consistent from cooler to transmission ports?
With this project finished the trans is no longer subjected to coolant contamination. Thank you to everyone who offered their help here and offline.
You need heat shielding on those lines where they cross under that turbo along the frame rail. Believe me when I say that the bleed-off heat from the turbo/exhaust is going to make those lines last a very short time before they get cooked. I learned this the hard way on my own truck because the bypass oil filter oil lines were run along the same place.

example of heat shroud for hoses: https://amzn.to/3Tgeazk
Looks good Kozakvod
Reference URL's