Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Cm2250 cpl change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a 2012 cm2250 400st cpl 3719 that I'm getting ready to rebuild. I'd like to change it to cpl 3606 to get 500-550/1850. From what I understand turbo, injectors and cam will have to be changed. I've saw were someone talked about the st ecm can't go over 500 for some reason and didn't know if I'd need a new ecm and also where my truck hasn't been put on a diet if my dpf and scr will work with it.
Sounds to me like you have been listening to a bunch of idiots.

some FYI .. First of all, if you put hard parts in it that are not according to the engine ser#.. then there will be zero warranty on anything.

Just stating that, as some people are not willing to risk a $40,000 engine down the toilet if anything whatsoever goes wrong, even if it is a manufacturing defect on one of those components. Something that should be considered very heavily. The red engine maker will not warranty anything, if any components are used that do not belong in that engine ser#.

NEXT: Is the fact that it will easily do 1820trq~ish without sacrificing anything, as long as you are not torturing it all day with steady high HP engine loads for hours on end. I.E.> people who haul big rgn setups, etc. and torture their engine/vehicle with excessively large/heavy 90%+ operating loads for hours on end. - In which case, the rear ends, and proper gearing is your best investment, and not torturing the engine into oblivion instead.

- In extreme heavy-haul applications, a tier-2 engine can otherwise handle 525hp/1790trq without torturing the engine and no hard-part changes. This slightly lower rating is simply to keep heat buildup down mostly.

A tier-2 CM2250 engine will actually do much more than this, but it has some flow restrictions on the (fuel-efficient version) turbo and head when run its much above this. Injectors tips will start to run hotter than normal much above about 575hp or so, as they take longer to put the fuel in than the larger tier-1 injectors.

And what the h$ell kind of complete idiot told you that you need to change the ecm???. - Now that is someone who is absolutely beyond damn clueless!. That Cm2250 ecm itself cares not what the power/torque is. The ST (Smart Torque program option) is simply a stupid option (that many people do not like by the way) that can be turned on or off on like the flip of a switch. IT IS IN THE PROGRAM.. NOT THE HARDWARE!!!!. and easily switched OFF IN THE PROGRAM for someone who knows how to properly program that ecm. There are no 'hardware differences' inside it because yours came with the 'ST' or 'ST2' option(s) turned on in the program. - It is just a matter of setting those type of options as 'on' or 'off' in the program itself. As far as the ecm is concerned.. someone could set the damned thing to make 2,000+ horsepower + turn off every damn limiter in there.. , and the ecm itself would have no issues with it whatsoever.

Matter of fact.. the 'ST' and 'ST2' are the least of someone's troubles when it comes discussions about ramp and rate engine limiters. Here is a list of all of them.. and yeah.. its simply a matter of turning ANY of them on or off in the program...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid63796

- Stop listening to complete morons who say you have to replace ecm hardware because they are too damn dumb to know any better.

============

All that said,. and considering that you said you wanted it about 550HP and 1850 trq. ,.. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND PUTTING ANY ALTERNATE PARTS IN IT. based on your first post.

-- HERE IS WHY>>>

First of all, there will be ZERO warranty on anything of something goes wrong. - Not worth that kind of risk for the slight benefits that you would not even be able to feel or see vs 550 or 565/1820. If you changed out all the hard parts. and added all that extra costs.

BTW: you also need a tier-1 overhaul kit and head too if memory serves me right, as there are different compression ratio pistons + bigger exhaust valves in the tirer-1 heavy-haul spec engines.

next. is that you would be buying 6 injectors at full price.. with zero core on them, as cummins will not except cores on tier-2 injectors when purchasing tier-1 injectors.

And buying the heavy-haul, titanium turbine, less fuel efficient turbo. That is also expensive + costs fuel someone mileage loss every year too.

fuel mileage: You will loose about 3/4 mpg across the board when switching to the tier-1 injector,. cam, overhaul-kit, and turbo. Those components are less fuel efficient across the board, and this will cost most truck owners about $4,000+ a year in fuel losses alone. Again .. not worth it just for a bit of a power bump, especially knowing the engine can already handle 550/1820 all day long as is.

- Like I said.. you have been listening to a bunch of morons.

Put the correct parts back in it. Save your moneys. Stop making a damn mountain out of a mole-hill. . and above all else.. get that crap out of your head... and stay away from the morons who would tell you something different.

build the engine 110% correctly, and to spec.
Use all the parts needed according to its ser#.
Build it exactly according to these descriptions ...
(here): http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid70606
.. so that you get another million miles out of it instead of some half-arssed garbage.

- After its built correctly, then you can have the existing program (again ... using the exact program meant for that ser# engine), simply have changed properly for 550hp/1820trq power. it is easy as pie to have done by simply coping the program out of the ecm and e-mailing to me. Simple as that.

================
-- You also mentioned de-mandating it (or it being done already perhaps). That is all together another issue. More than 90%+ of all de-mandate programs are absolutely harmful to the engine.

- ABSOLUTELY, you need to not have (or use) any custom programming (or de-mandate) done whatsoever unless ...

>> It has been inspected/vetted, and reviewed by myself here on the forum to ensure it is not harmful. I review about 1,000+ programs a year for people. Programs from all the well known places.,.and everywhere else too. Believe me when I say its bad ... very very bad out there, .. and a complete rip-off to boot!>. Most of those places also charge thousands of $$$ for something you can have done (100% properly), for a few hundred bucks ... or for that matter.. for FREE!, it being a CM2250.

You need to be able to obtain a copy of that program for yourself, so that it can be reviewed. ... and in case anything ever happens to the ecm, etc .. so that you have it. There's nothing worse than say, 5 years from now, not being able to get a hold of someone or they hold you hostage for thousands all over again $$$$ because your ecm died.. or you had other programming related issues.

BAD ecm programming is an absolute plague in this trucking industry,.. and is nothing to take lightly at all. It does not matter how good you think the person/place is. .. you need to be able to have examined, that programming for correctness, or your engine, and all that moneys in that overhaul, will live a very short lifespan. Everyone that I know, have seen, that does good programming has no issue with having that program reviewed, etc. whatsoever. The guys who try to hide everything + charge big $$$ are the one's making the horrible programs. here is some related info on copying the program in/out of the ecm yourself. It is not difficult for about anyone who has basic computing skills.: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid72945
Thank you for your wisdom and help on saving me money and time! I've seen some things on groups (not from here) that obviously led me down the wrong path. Once everything's done I guess I'll need calterm to copy and send you files correct? Thanks again! Still learning every day but guidance from you and people on this forum is greatly appreciated!
(12-08-2023 )Derrell Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for your wisdom and help on saving me money and time! I've seen some things on groups (not from here) that obviously led me down the wrong path. Once everything's done I guess I'll need calterm to copy and send you files correct? Thanks again! Still learning every day but guidance from you and people on this forum is greatly appreciated!

You will need an adapter and CT. I PM'd you my number to discuss and get more details with your situation, where to get things, details, etc. further. Give me a ring some time when your free to BS about all this stuffs.
Reference URL's