Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Misalignment between camshast and crankshaft sensors code
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello.Been getting engine speed sensor data error and now misalignment between crankshaft and camshaft sensors.I did look at the camshaft sensor and it’s soaked in oil.Engine speed sensor only comes on occasionally.What needs to be checked?
Honestly think there’s a short in the wiring harness or something with the ecm.Have been having all those random voltage above normal or shorted to high source codes on different things including the EGR and we ended up deleting it because of that code.
Here’s a pic of the camshaft sensor
Looks to like a bad cam position sensor, or associated wiring.
and why is it pushing oil ad sludge thru the plugs like that?. that is a sign of excessive crank case fumes buildup.

There should be no crank case fume buildup in the engine. Crank case fume buildup causes a lot of mechanical damage like wiped out cams and turbocharger failures.

Clogged/neglected crank case filter?.

And yeah, wiring problem of some sort, or maybe old and bad sensors. What is the last time that all the engine sensors were changed out?. How old is that engine?... what model is it?... and miles on it?.
(12-16-2023 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]and why is it pushing oil ad sludge thru the plugs like that?. that is a sign of excessive crank case fumes buildup.

There should be no crank case fume buildup in the engine. Crank case fume buildup causes a lot of mechanical damage like wiped out cams and turbocharger failures.

Clogged/neglected crank case filter?.

And yeah, wiring problem of some sort, or maybe old and bad sensors. What is the last time that all the engine sensors were changed out?. How old is that engine?... what model is it?... and miles on it?.

It’s an 04’ 870.should be around 600k.Sensors were replaced 2 years ago.
Replace the sensors. Oil can push past the plug into the harness and get back to the ECM where it can cause all kinds of problems. Have not seen it on Cummins but I'm kind of new to them. Have seen it on Mack, CAT, and Navistar mediums. Not really common but it happens.
I would take the ecm plugs off and clean them and make sure there tightened properly you have too much going on there for codes.
(12-19-2023 )DVT873 Wrote: [ -> ]Replace the sensors. Oil can push past the plug into the harness and get back to the ECM where it can cause all kinds of problems. Have not seen it on Cummins but I'm kind of new to them. Have seen it on Mack, CAT, and Navistar mediums. Not really common but it happens.

If this is the case then it is also a sign of crank case fumes building up in the block. A very bad thing for ISX's. It wipes out cam(s) and causes premature turbo failures.

Replace crank case filter with maint. free one.

Ensure screen in engine cover of front gear train is also not clogging up.
(12-20-2023 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2023 )DVT873 Wrote: [ -> ]Replace the sensors. Oil can push past the plug into the harness and get back to the ECM where it can cause all kinds of problems. Have not seen it on Cummins but I'm kind of new to them. Have seen it on Mack, CAT, and Navistar mediums. Not really common but it happens.

If this is the case then it is also a sign of crank case fumes building up in the block. A very bad thing for ISX's. It wipes out cam(s) and causes premature turbo failures.

Replace crank case filter with maint. free one.

Ensure screen in engine cover of front gear train is also not clogging up.
It’s a cm870.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's