Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Insite 8.7 and newer incal problem?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I have Insite V8.7 and about a month ago my old incals stopped working. From my understanding something with the date/outdate. I installed the new ones but they only work with 8.8 I was hoping someone may have a work around, or old files I could purchase/reload etc.

Insite came pre-loaded on my laptop and the company I bought from has been less than helpful with this. Thanks
I got tired of that bulls$it 'file has expired' crap years ago.

I have not used Insite to flash Incal(factory calibration) files for many years now.

Here is the process that I use when I need to flash a factory file into an ECM ...

== I ALWAYS make a full back up the old program with the Calterm software, just for reference and if anything goes wrong, etc. so that the ecm can always be brought back to that point no matter what. I do this even if its the wrong program.. or a bad delete... does not matter. I ALWAYS ALWAYS make a full backup FIRST before making any changes to that ecm.

== Next ... Note the engine ser# and the vin#. Copy-paste them into a notepad text document temporarily or take pic of them.. something. You will need them at the very end.

== I use the Insite software to make a work order, and then a template. This backs up essentially only the vehicle-specific settings like cruise control buttons, odo history, trip info, cruise control / engine brake, and other vehicle specific button addresses. I.E.> The important stuffs for only the vehicle. This stuffs for the vehicle is NOT going to be contained in a newer/factory/incal file.

== I de-compress the incal/new factory file with 7-zip (using the proper password) and then flash the it in with the Calterm software. CT does not care how 'old', etc. the file is or anything else. It simply will flash any file you throw at it into the ecm without question. This way I can put in a file from most recent or a file from 10 years ago if I want to. No mussy-fussy.
NOTE: I do NOT check those 2 little check-boxes to save-restore parameters, etc. ... because Calterm is horrible at this and this can corrupt the file.

== After flashing the new file in with CT, I then switch back to Insite and restore the work order/template. This restores all of the vehicle specific settings, odo, trip history, button addresses, etc.

== What does NOT however get transferred when doing things this way is that the engine ser# and the vehicle vin# are not restored. Those 2 things, you have to type back in and save (using insite) by hand or (copy-paste, if you had saved them in a note-pad text), once your all done and save changes.

== Factory calibrations (Incal fales) will run a special code the first time the ecm is run to clear out old memory, etc... so I run the engine for 10+ minutes so that it can do this in the background uninterrupted and do its initial data collection etc. in the background. Give time for everything in the programming to settle. It takes up to about 8 minutes, so I give it 10.

== I then take a second back-up of the now established, and fully completed program using the CT software. This is so that I don't have to go thru the flashing process again if I ever want to restore this program in the future. I can also make copies of this new backup to edit, or do whatever I want to it later on.

- That is how I have done it for 10+ years now and have never had any issues.
Yup I do it the same way Rawze does.

Nope, the newest incals won’t work with 8.7 at all. Someone can alternatively step back to the June 2023 incal disc, and with the proper date changes, the date of the incals, and they will then work with 8.7 again.

It is recommended to always try to use the latest incal tho, to keep the engine software as up to date/bug free as possible instead of doing things this way too much.
Reference URL's