Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Rubber brake line replacement - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Rubber brake line replacement (/showthread.php?tid=5203)

Rubber brake line replacement - RocketScott - 10-19-2019

I know this isn't a vintage truck forum, but...

I got the collector plate for my '89 379 Pete in the mail today. After putting that on, and peeling the DOT numbers off the doors, I started looking through everything to be able to drive it again

All the rubber air lines look bad. Some look like they are original with a woven cover that's cracking apart, others have been replaced but are cracking. Some of the fittings have been changed too. Found a galvanized plumbing elbow that I hadn't noticed before. Everything is rotted (Funny-I originally typed "rotted" but with an 'n' in stead of a 'd' at the end. The forum must think that is a bad word so changed it to 'terrible')

So basically I need to replace everything from the chambers to the hard lines, all hoses, valves, and fittings on all three axles

#1- All the lines I took off have a female flare connection. Most of what I'm seeing online have a male pipe thread end. Is that what is used now? Even though it's now a 'collector vehicle' I don't need to keep it original. I'd rather replace it all with the current standard

#2- I'm also not finding Tees similar to what was on there. They're aluminum and have a mounting flange. The back axle is just a single 1/2" NPT supply and 3/8" NPT x2 delivery but the front is double that, in one manifold

#3- The brake chambers are miss-matched on the very back axle. Is that an issue?

*numbered questions to make it easier*

RE: Rubber brake line replacement - Lonestar10 - 10-19-2019

#2 the tees were probably made for peterbilt in 89 not a common item

#3 they can be mismatched brands as long as their all the same stroke.

RE: Rubber brake line replacement - Waterloo - 10-20-2019

If those air lines are bad, odds are so are those brake chambers. I would go through everything if you plan on driving it, slack adjusters, S cams, etc. No telling on the valves either, they may need to be replaced too, especially if the truck has sat like you said. Oh, and the u joints in the driveline, lot rot will destroy those in short order if they were not heavily greased before parking. Carrier bearing too. Been there, done that.

RE: Rubber brake line replacement - RocketScott - 10-20-2019

Good to know

The chambers on the R/R axle have different length shafts. Those should match right?

Looking at the build sheet the brake chambers had two different part numbers. Peterbilt 03-04825 and 03-04824. I can't find a cross reference to tell what the difference is or which were on the F/R axle or the R/R