Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Coolant loss - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Coolant loss (/showthread.php?tid=7033)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Coolant loss - Soulreaver0102 - 02-10-2021

Hello everyone. Been a while since I’ve posted. I have a 2012 cascadia 2250 demandate programmed by someone on this site. Just shy of 698,000 miles. I have had coolant loss lately and thought it was from my heater core hose leaking a little bit from hose connection as I have seen it leak from there. Well yesterday morning I topped off the coolant and hit the road. I went give or take 100 miles to my drop location dropped container and bobtail back. I made it less than mile and check engine light came on followed by stop. So I shut it down popped hood and was low on coolant. Added 1 1/2 gallons of coolant. No leaks anywhere. Not even heater hose connection. Hit the road made it back. This morning checked coolant 2gallons needed to fill. 40 miles add 2 more gallons. Total between yesterday and today to and back from shop I’ve ran through 6 gallons of coolant. Mechanic wants me to bring it back after he finishes the engine job to further diagnose. There is no external leaks. He pressured up the system with pressure loss of course. He thought compressor maybe bad. No sign of coolant in air dryer purge valve area or in tanks. Then he said he smells it around the turbo and thinks maybe actuator. But says that kind of coolant loss it should be at least leaking from around the turbo. Nothing is being blown from exhaust nor does exhaust have a coolant smell. Did block tester for head gasket and it showed nothing. Egr cooler was welded shut and put back on during demandate. I am not making any oil and oil looks good. I will drain a hair off tomorrow just to make sure. Any things else I can check or a way to check if actuator is leaking or any insight. I appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

RE: Coolant loss - marek4792 - 02-10-2021

Have your mechanic remove the oil pan and repeat the pressure test again. Before you do all that you can rule out the air compressor by blocking off the outlet (i think) and running the truck and see if it pushes coolant out the overflow side when it cycles on.

RE: Coolant loss - Soulreaver0102 - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021 )marek4792 Wrote:  Have your mechanic remove the oil pan and repeat the pressure test again. Before you do all that you can rule out the air compressor by blocking off the outlet (i think) and running the truck and see if it pushes coolant out the overflow side when it cycles on.

But wouldn’t you think at the amount I’ve lost there would be evidence of the coolant being in oil without the need to remove pan? This is why I didn’t suggest it. I’m not making oil. Just a thought is all.

RE: Coolant loss - Squish099 - 02-10-2021

Egr cooler?

RE: Coolant loss - marek4792 - 02-10-2021

(02-10-2021 )Soulreaver0102 Wrote:  But wouldn’t you think at the amount I’ve lost there would be evidence of the coolant being in oil without the need to remove pan? This is why I didn’t suggest it. I’m not making oil. Just a thought is all.
Not necessarly as the crankcase is generating the pressure in a headgasket/dropped liner scenario that over pressurizes the cooling system dumping it out the overflow, OR an injector cup failure that would cause coolant to be consumed and go out of the exhaust system. By pressurizing the system with the pan dropped you would be able to tell if either one of these things are happening by seeing if coolant is running down the liners and onto the floor it usually won't be alot unless you have a really bad leak.. Forgot one thing though if your radiator has an integrated transmission cooler check your transmission and make sure it isn't filled with coolant.

(02-10-2021 )marek4792 Wrote:  
(02-10-2021 )Soulreaver0102 Wrote:  But wouldn’t you think at the amount I’ve lost there would be evidence of the coolant being in oil without the need to remove pan? This is why I didn’t suggest it. I’m not making oil. Just a thought is all.
Not necessarly as the crankcase is generating the pressure in a headgasket/dropped liner scenario that over pressurizes the cooling system dumping it out the overflow, OR an injector cup failure that would cause coolant to be consumed and go out of the exhaust system. By pressurizing the system with the pan dropped you would be able to tell if either one of these things are happening by seeing if coolant is running down the liners and onto the floor.. Forgot one thing though if your radiator has an integrated transmission cooler check your transmission and make sure it isn't filled with coolant.

He did mention transmission. That’s on my to do list tomorrow. Waiting on the snow to stop lol. I appreciate it. We didn’t see anything blowing out the stack. Not to say it isn’t but we did watch that.

(02-10-2021 )Squish099 Wrote:  Egr cooler?

Welded on each end

RE: Coolant loss - Yauchout - 02-10-2021

i was loosing antifreeze through the injector cups at one point on mine was ending up in my fuel tanks but if that's the case you should start seeing it in your fuel water separator

RE: Coolant loss - Rawze - 02-10-2021

6 gallons of coolant loss in a day should be easy as h@ell to find.

pressurize the coolant system to 20 PSI and check for leaks.

look inside piping for egr cooler where it is welded up.

look in tranny to ensure oil level is not going up.

look at doser pipe behind turbo.

check air tanks for colant and thbleeder valves.

check davco (fuel water seperator) for coolant in the bottom of it.

-- Pull the pan off it and let it sit a few hours if need be ... check to ensure its not going into the oil.