Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
2012 Cascadia - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Freightliner related help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=75)
+--- Thread: 2012 Cascadia (/showthread.php?tid=7143)

2012 Cascadia - boyzmom - 03-12-2021

We've got problems with both trucks. Both are ISX with 10 speeds. First I'll start with the husbands
Rattled like crazy in neutral, had a new clutch installed, new input shaft and other things. It rattles and makes just as much noise, if not worse. Mechanics said nothing can be done. It's all because of these new dang trucks. Thoughts?
second truck, my driver tells us the fan will not shut off, temp at 180. Took truck in, replaced solenoids and did other testing. Fan still will not shut off. Mechanic says it's either the computer or wiring harness. Any other thoughts?
We have used this mechanic for years and trust him. He is fair with us. Of course I'm getting hell for talking him into these trucks. He misses his old Peterbilt, so do I since they were paid for and very dependable, but we are in Commifornia. Was hoping to get another year out of the trucks so we could retire and move from here.

RE: 2012 Cascadia - smorgan87 - 03-13-2021

1: get out of commieland and run equipment that makes u money not the state money.
2: that neutral rattle could be a bad clutch or in the tranny. Crank it up, get under there and listen real close to whether its comin from the bell or inside the trans.
3: hook up insite and see if its actually calling for fan on or if its calling for off but the clutch is engaged.

RE: 2012 Cascadia - Rawze - 03-13-2021

(03-12-2021 )boyzmom Wrote:  ....
Mechanics said nothing can be done. It's all because of these new dang trucks.
We have used this mechanic for years

according to your posts so far...
YOUR MECHANIC IS AN OUT-DATED IDIOT!!!! -- THAT IS WHAT THIS ALL DIRECTLY POINTS TO!

KEEP TAKING IT TO PEOPLE WHO ARE SEVERELY UNDER-TRAINED ON NEWER DIESEL ENGINES AND VEHICLES AND YOU WILL GET STUPID RESULTS AND AN EMPTY WALLET!

====

LEARN TO WORK ON THAT GODDAMN TRUCKS YOURSELF --- ESPECIALLY FOR STUPID S$IT LIKE YOUR ASKING ABOUT --- OR GO OUT OF BUSINESS!.

OWNING TRUCKS == LEARNING NOW TO MAINTAIN THEM YOURSELF .. AND NOT GIVING ALL YOUR MONEY AWAY TO YOUR SO CALLED "TRUSTED IDIOT!"

=====

IF THE ECM IS REQUESTING THE FAN TO BE ON PERPETUALLY. ..
Get a copy of Insite and an adapter... LOOK IN THE ECM AND SEE WHY THE ENGINE FAN IS ON!... HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO BET IT IS TELLING YOU THE A/C SYSTEM IS LIKELY REQUESTING THE FAN!.... AND THAT YOUR MECHANIC IS BLINDLY THROWING PARTS AT IT CUZ HE IS NOT SMART ENOUGH TO FIND OUT WHAT IS REQUESTING THE FAN TO BE ON ALL THE TIME!.
Otherwise ... Is the Air-line feeding the fan clutch "ON"/Pressurized at any point to actually shut off the fan clutch?
-- It is not rocket science. - How long you think it would take me to figure out what was wrong?. It is not that complex!. YOUR MECHANIC is the problem!.

=====

Your complaining about a "rattle" --- ASKING THIS ON THE INTER-WEBS IS LIKE THROWING DARTS AT THE MOON!. For all anyone can guess, it could be something serious or it could be the damn clutch-forks rattling around when not under load, and it be completely harmless!-- it is anyone's guess, as no one on here has trucker-E.S.P.

RE: 2012 Cascadia - boyzmom - 03-13-2021

Thank you guys. They planned on working on the one today, but something came up so the driver was not available as planned. So the hubby is working on the daughters 64 Chevelle. We are just baffled with the new ones. He always worked on the old trucks we had and we never really had problems. I don't remember his old 97 Pete having near anything like these, but it was a cat over a million miles. We run in dirt most of the time.

RE: 2012 Cascadia - Nilao - 03-13-2021

You can't compare old mechanical engine with new emission engines. They aren't remotely the same beast.

RE: 2012 Cascadia - Chamberpains - 03-15-2021

And to add to Nilao's point. The newer ones can be 10 times easier to diagnose simple old-school problems if you take the time and effort to smash your brain in to learning a little bit about computers and get the proper software and hardware to communicate with the newer systems.

Think of it as not completely learning a new language but as simply learning new words in your current language and then learning how to properly use them. You have to know how to communicate with the truck. Its talking to you. Your just not listening because you don't have the proper skills and tools to understand it.

RE: 2012 Cascadia - boyzmom - 03-23-2021

Our mechanic is old school. We had another mechanic that is friends with one of the guys we know come over with his computer. He was checking out a few other things with it. That truck did just get a new starter put in and another part. Then he did say with the husbands truck its either the input shaft or the tranny wasn't done properly. I called the shop that did the work and let them know they need to fix this the correct way.

RE: 2012 Cascadia - SquareOne - 03-23-2021

Maybe I missed this in the previous post, but at what point does the 'rattle' or vibration start?

RE: 2012 Cascadia - RyanC - 04-29-2021

For the fan problem.....
With truck off, disconnect air line from solenoid to fan. Check if fan spins or is locked. Then use a rubber tipper blow gun to push air into line to see if it engages or disengaged properly.

At this point you know very key things which way your fan clutch operates and if it works or not. If it leaks air its bad, if it doesn't switch on off with air its bad.

If all fan clutch works and doesn't leak you move on to further steps which get a little more thought process....

Potentials include but not limited to: someone replaced fan or solenoid with one that works backwards from computer program. This happens a lot. If the fan runs continuously the ac system will never reach pressure to command a change and ecm coolant temp won't either.
Ac pressure switch stuck
Broken wire to fan solenoid.