Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Fan Clutch - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Fan Clutch (/showthread.php?tid=7297)

Pages: 1 2 3

Fan Clutch - JimT - 04-26-2021

So, my fan hub/clutch started making some unpleasant noise recently when engaging. Upon investigation it seems that even with engine off and/or without air applied it spins (mostly) freely. When it does engage while the engine is on it moves more air but must be slipping a lot. Right now between lower ambient temps and my light loads the only time the fan kicks on is low air or AC pressure while idling, but that won't last.

Anything I should try before ordering a new one?

Any tips on replacement? I'd hate to have to pull the radiator, drop the coolant and screw around with the AC system if i don't need to.

RE: Fan Clutch - Nilao - 04-26-2021

Depends on the type. I know kysor has reversible plates on the back that allow for a little more use by pushing the clutch material farther into the hub.

RE: Fan Clutch - Smiling lemon - 04-27-2021

Drain coolant for a fan clutch? What kind of truck do you have to do that on?

RE: Fan Clutch - Rawze - 04-27-2021

some model Pete's and/or Kw's, the worst that I have ever seen to do is lean the front structure forward and remove the rubber guard, sliding it back against the engine ... but not remove everything.

Be sure to align the holes in the front of the clutch to the screw heads before taking thing apart. use a small mirror to see to align them.

Also, whatever you do, do NOT over-tighten the fan retaining nuts. they strip easily if over-tightened, so follow the instructions and torque specs... use loc-tight blu (medium thread locker) on the nuts if there is not any already on them.

RE: Fan Clutch - dhirocz - 04-27-2021

I did mine last year, put a kit masters clutch in it. Solid engagement, much simpler design as well.

I made a point to blast the housing and refinished it. Bead blasting the junk off the pulley helped minimize the belt slip and squeal I got upon engagement.

I did mine without removing much more than the alternator. I wouldn't recommend it without someone standing on the opposite side to help you line it back up when reinstalling. Heavy cardboard in front of the radiator is also a good idea if you do it that way, just don't forget to pull it out. That cardboard helps to protect the radiator if you happen to nudge it.

Changing the fan clutch solenoid is a good idea.

Inspecting your fan blades for fatigue or replacing it if it has alot of miles on it is also a good idea. I replaced mine when I was doing my inframe.

Finally, inspect the air hose and consider checking or replacing the air fitting to the fan clutch as well. Found mine leaking like crazy. Now is also a good time to go over your idler, tensioners and belts.

RE: Fan Clutch - JimT - 04-27-2021

Sorry, should have mentioned a few things.

2012 Pete 587

As installed I can't get the fan and clutch assembly out with the radiator in the way, too tight. No space to remove the fan blades and I'd need to tilt the clutch assembly to get it out. I was thinking about leaning the rad forward a bit to (hopefully) give me the space needed. Draining/refilling the coolant (in order to remove the rad) is a hassle, but it's the AC system that I really want to avoid disconnecting. Don't have the tools to drain/fill the system.

Thanks dhirocz. Might look at replacing the fan blades too. They seem ok, but if I have it all apart might be a good time.

RE: Fan Clutch - Rawze - 04-27-2021

(04-27-2021 )JimT Wrote:  Sorry, should have mentioned a few things.

2012 Pete 587

As installed I can't get the fan and clutch assembly out with the radiator in the way, too tight. No space to remove the fan blades and I'd need to tilt the clutch assembly to get it out. I was thinking about leaning the rad forward a bit to (hopefully) give me the space needed. Draining/refilling the coolant (in order to remove the rad) is a hassle, but it's the AC system that I really want to avoid disconnecting. Don't have the tools to drain/fill the system.

Thanks dhirocz. Might look at replacing the fan blades too. They seem ok, but if I have it all apart might be a good time.

I have never had to remove radiator when helping someone with a 587 replace fan and fan clutch. coolant yes, due to the upper coolant hose stopping you from leaning the front structure forward... but not the radiator or front structure.

It can be done, it is not difficult, I have done it a few times here with ppl.

And YES to putting cardboard against the back aide of the radiator... you WILL end up bumping into it and making dents in the fins with the back of your hand, or handle of a wrench no matter how careful you think you are.

(from memory here)...
Remove the A/C condenser unit and fold it and hoses back out of the way ... Lean the front structure forward. And That stupid rubber ring that is held on by braces is NOT attached to the front structure, so Remove all the braces for it and and slip it back towards the engine as far as you can... then remove the fan and clutch.

RE: Fan Clutch - JimT - 04-29-2021

thanks guys. parts will all be in tomorrow. decided to replace the fan blades while i'm at it and a bunch of other non-related things during the downtime.

One more question, should I try to remove the fan blades first or take the entire assembly out together? With the rad leaned forward it seems it could be done either way. I'm thinking it would give me more room to maneuver the clutch in and out without the blades attached.

RE: Fan Clutch - Rawze - 04-30-2021

- i have always done the fan itself first.