Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn (/showthread.php?tid=7448)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn - Redland1 - 06-07-2021

My 04’ 870 starts up then shuts off.After cranking it again after shutoff it starts back up with a puff of white smoke but it clears up and it keeps running until it is shutoff again manually and the cycle starts over.Video of it doing it in the link below.

https://imgur.com/a/PjizZ0J

RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn - Nilao - 06-07-2021

Possibly losing prime? The white smoke is unburned diesel...

RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn - Redland1 - 06-07-2021

(06-07-2021 )Nilao Wrote:  Possibly losing prime? The white smoke is unburned diesel...

Why would it start and keep running after the second try?

RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn - Nilao - 06-07-2021

It has fuel in the lines at the isfm, somewhere from the pre-filter to the tank it could be losing prime and forming a bubble. You start the truck and it pulls that bubble through and it hits the main pump and the engine dies from loss of fuel pressure. Once you key on again the lift pump pushed the air on to the return line and it fires back up...could be a problem elsewhere but this is a possibility.

RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn - Redland1 - 06-08-2021

I’m starting to notice that the times that I have this issue I can’t hear the lift pump working.Is there something I can check to see why it works intermittently or does it need replaced?

RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn - Rawze - 06-08-2021

could be ecm going bad or power going to it is intermittent due to rubbed thru wire?

RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn - Redland1 - 06-08-2021

(06-08-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  could be ecm going bad or power going to it is intermittent due to rubbed thru wire?

I saw where you recommended on another thread to hit the ECM while it’s running to see if it the lift pump would shut off.I tried it and it didn’t.

RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn - Redland1 - 06-13-2021

Finally got Insite to run and had the issue come up while going through Insite and 0482 came up.

RE: Cm870 starts then shuts off,starts back up with a puff off white smoke and stays runn - Redland1 - 06-13-2021

Would the lift pump have anything to do with this?