Fan not kicking in
05-24-2024, (Subject: Fan not kicking in ) 
Fan not kicking in
Hey, hope everyone is ready for the weekend. So recently my fan is not kicking on and the engine temp is climbing higher than normal. Owner of the truck 9 years and thermostat has always kicked on at 210 and fan would engage and run on high or when the A/c system would kick it on. Now it just runs on slow or normal and never engages, engine temp is climbing to around 215-220 at idle(90 degrees here). When at idle and temp climbs the ac start to blow warmer but gets ice cold soon as I start moving. Any help would be very much appreciated because summertime in Charleston,SC is here!
replyreply
05-24-2024, (Subject: Fan not kicking in ) 
RE: Fan not kicking in
- Does it kick on when you unplug the A/C high pressure switch?.

- Connect Insite to the ecm and see if it is being commanded to the on position.

also, is it an electric fan? .. or a solenoid/air operated fan?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-25-2024, (Subject: Fan not kicking in ) 
I once had a fan clutch fail, so it didn't work when commanded to. It had a system where it ran when it didn't have air pressure to it, but didn't operate at all. The fix was replacing the fan hub.
replyreply
05-25-2024, (Subject: Fan not kicking in ) 
Clutch fan is brand new, we installed it 2 months ago. It’s air driven. Also truck has a PADS A/C system and it’s blinking green saying ac system is working properly. I was thinking maybe the thermostat was going bad but I’ve never had to change one so I don’t know how to tell if it’s bad. Rawze I’ll unplug the ac pressure switch and get back to you. Problem just started so I haven’t done anything yet because I’m unsure of where to start.
replyreply
05-26-2024, (Subject: Fan not kicking in ) 
if its air fan hub than you have a air solenoid that feeds the fan clutch, it sends air when slow, no air to hub to set in on high, ( but saw also oposite systems ) , check air solenoid, if you disconnect air feed line, your fan should kick in on high
replyreply
05-28-2024, (Subject: Fan not kicking in ) 
Update: the fan assembly doesn’t appear broken or damaged in any way but with the engine off you can easily spin the fan by hand. Fan clutch is two months old.
replyreply
05-28-2024, (Subject: Fan not kicking in ) 
Assuming you have an air driven clutch that locks up in low or absent air pressure and the solenoid shuts off air to the clutch when the engine is off, it sounds like clutch pads/friction material is worn out. Depending on the type and brand of clutch the friction pads can be replaced.

Some helpful things to pass along would be make/model/year of truck. make/model of fan clutch if known.

If the clutch material has worn out that fast (2 months) there's probably a reason. Maybe something (A/C?) was causing the fan to kick on too often? Maybe there's an air leak between the solenoid and the fan hub or within the hub/clutch, causing partial clutch engagement. Maybe the last clutch wasn't installed properly leading to air leak and ultimate failure? Maybe the air solenoid itself isn't opening fully, causing lower pressure to the clutch causing partial engagement? Assuming you have one (as you never answered above), you should probably test or replace the air solenoid, in addition to checking for air leaks, replacing the friction material on the fan clutch and checking to make sure you A/C system is properly charged and not otherwise calling for frequent high fan engagement.

Anyway, without additional information I'm just throwing out guesses. There's more then one type of fan clutch out there, it's not directly linked to the engine itself.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.