Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)...
05-05-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
RE: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)...
(05-04-2016 )trdodd07 Wrote:  Went to Walmart today and bought some 85-140. They had 80-90 but I wasn't sure if that would work or not and was second guessing myself as to if it was 85-90 that I read or not, haha. I'm at 463,100 roughly on my 2250, so would the 85-140 be ok to use at this point? I just had a pm done at Speedco in Walcott yesterday, just before I read this thread of course, so I'll wait until my next pm to add it in.

at 450k miles, 80/90 would be slightly better. The 84/140 would be more suited for something with a lot of wear in the engine, though i don't think it will hurt anything.

Personally I still prefer the sta-lube GL-4.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-06-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
(05-05-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  at 450k miles, 80/90 would be slightly better. The 84/140 would be more suited for something with a lot of wear in the engine, though i don't think it will hurt anything.

Personally I still prefer the sta-lube GL-4.

I'll return this stuff and order some STA from amazon for my next service interval. Get the good stuff from the get go. Thanks!

User's Signature: 2012 Cascadia ISX15 CM2250
replyreply
10-24-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
I'm curious as to more feedback from snake oils that people like. Other than the one Rawze has been using. I'm curious about "no more friction" additive. And I see extreme friction fighter at the Petro and TA. Also looking for user experience with motor Kote, and I've heard of justice brothers but can't find it. I'm not a pitchman just trying to get some answers. Or a snake oil side by side comparison?
replyreply
I was one of the biggest doubters of Lucas when I first started trucking. I'm still skeptical, but I do have to admit that of the people I know the ones that got the most mileage before rebuilds did all use it, coincidentally or not. One guy in particular, Robert aka "Mr Grumpy" I believe has Lucas in his veins. His '05 Western Star stinger car carrier with a 14 liter Detroit went 1.6M miles and 48k hours before needing to be rebuilt for oil useage. The head had never been off, it had gone through 6 complete sets of injectors, two ecms and two wiring harnesses and several massive oil leaks on the rear structure and I can't remember how many turbos. The last 100k he was running a 50:50 mix of Lucas and Rotella, was still burning or leaking 3 gallons per week. Wanna guess what his fill oil was? Unbelievably, to me at least he still wasn't happy with an astounding 1.6M miles cause he said both his 3406 and C15 cracked 2M. So he literally junked the Detroit and repowered with 6nz cat reman.

Two guys I sent to Rawze with a '15 and a '16 Pete were a good example. The '15 had 240k miles and had used one gallon of Lucas since day one and the cams showed no wear. The '16 had 50k miles, never used any and had very noticeable wear already.
Hot idle oil pressure on the '15 was 32psi and the '16 had 21psi. They both had the same pressure going down the road. Something to think about.
Still think the stuff has little use in a Cat that has high oil pressure from the start. Couple gallons of that stuff in a Cat on a cold morning and you've got common rail pressures!
Might be something to it in engines with very little pressure from the factory. Especially in an application that requires lots of low idling.
replyreply
(10-24-2016 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  I was one of the biggest doubters of Lucas when I first started trucking. I'm still skeptical, but I do have to admit that of the people I know the ones that got the most mileage before rebuilds did all use it, coincidentally or not. One guy in particular, Robert aka "Mr Grumpy" I believe has Lucas in his veins. His '05 Western Star stinger car carrier with a 14 liter Detroit went 1.6M miles and 48k hours before needing to be rebuilt for oil useage. The head had never been off, it had gone through 6 complete sets of injectors, two ecms and two wiring harnesses and several massive oil leaks on the rear structure and I can't remember how many turbos. The last 100k he was running a 50:50 mix of Lucas and Rotella, was still burning or leaking 3 gallons per week. Wanna guess what his fill oil was? Unbelievably, to me at least he still wasn't happy with an astounding 1.6M miles cause he said both his 3406 and C15 cracked 2M. So he literally junked the Detroit and repowered with 6nz cat reman.

Two guys I sent to Rawze with a '15 and a '16 Pete were a good example. The '15 had 240k miles and had used one gallon of Lucas since day one and the cams showed no wear. The '16 had 50k miles, never used any and had very noticeable wear already.
Hot idle oil pressure on the '15 was 32psi and the '16 had 21psi. They both had the same pressure going down the road. Something to think about.
Still think the stuff has little use in a Cat that has high oil pressure from the start. Couple gallons of that stuff in a Cat on a cold morning and you've got common rail pressures!
Might be something to it in engines with very little pressure from the factory. Especially in an application that requires lots of low idling.

I have never disagreed that raising your viscosity a bit and the hydraulic pressure ratings of your oil do not have some WELL KNOWN POSITIVE benefits, especially in a large class-8 engine. It is the whole bastard of aN over-priced, over-marketed, big advertised crap of a concept called "PUKE_AS" that people have been brainwashed into believing it is some kind of f##king miracle juice WHEN IN FACT! --- THERE ARE ACTUALLY BETTER PRODUCTS THAT WILL ACCOMPLISH THE SAME DAMN THING FOR MUCH LOWER COSTS!!! --- IT IS CALLED GEAR LUBE!. THAT OVER-PRICED CRAP HAS ZERO ADDATIVES -- NONE! -- iT IS NOTHING BUT AN ULTRA-PURIFIED STRAIGHT UP 110-GRADE MINERAL OIL! -- SAME AS A 110 VISCOSITY GEAR LUBE! -- ONLY IT IS MISSING ALL THE ADDITIVES! PERIOD ASIDE FROM SOME VERY BASIC OLEFIN-POLYMERS (THE OIL-BASED EQUIVALENT TO SAW-DUST IN STOP-LEAK PRODUCTS FOR RADIATORS))!.

IF YOU NEED THE STOP-LEAK THAT BADLY -- THEN FIX YOUR DAMN ENGINE! -- IT DOES NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO SLOW DOWN WEAR!.

ANY 110-grade (or close there-of viscosity oil) will raise your hydraulic pressure rating in exactly the same way -- AND GUESS WHAT -- ACTUAL GEAR LUBE HAS ADDITIVES THAT PROTECT METAL COMPONENTS UNLIKE PUKE-AS!!!.. AND IT IS HALF THE F##KING COST!@!!

Take that brainwashed crap to other forums where people can be duped so easily!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BobsYourUncle , dhirocz
12-29-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
Thanks for the great thread.
replyreply
12-29-2016, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
I'm sold on running gear lube. Been doing it for the last 3 years and despite buying the truck used with 530k mandated miles, it saved the cams and overhead enough that when we did the in frame it was all reused showing minimum wear. Running better every day as rings and bearings break in. No hype, simple, practical knowledge. GYSOT!
Rawze knows hydraulics.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
11-11-2017, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
I am an AmsOil dealer so I tend to lean towards that for my oil needs. I have a 2250 with 540k on it (piston replacement at 490k) would a gl-5 75-90 be ok or maybe a 75-110? I also drive cold and warm weather all winter. (NorthWest-California )
replyreply
03-15-2019, (Subject: Why I do NOT Use Lucas (Opinion)... ) 
Question: What about running some ratio of gear lube and Lucas?

Sound crazy? Let me explain..
Forgive the length..

First, I've never wanted to run Lucas, and I still don't for the main reason already suggested (no protective additives). But I've been adding a gallon after every oil change (1 1/2 during June, July, & August) since my truck hit 800,000 miles.

The reason has been to reduce oil consumption. Currently, my truck is at 1.14 million miles and she's using a gallon of Delvac every 6K.

I would love to rebuild her today, but that's not happening today. $$$ October is a more realistic goal for me.

That said, I believe there has been an accidental benefit to using Lucas. I have two unimpressive oil leaks; one at the flywheel housing and one at the gear housing. They are visible on the motor but not on the ground, at least not after adding the Lucas, which I always start adding after virgin oil has reached 6 or 7K. In other words, the "Olefin copolymers" appear to be sealing these leaks up.

So now, I have all this new info about gear lube (thanks, Rawze). I'm sold and ready to make the switch, but I wonder about adding a little Lucas (Olefin copolymers) back into the mix, especially during those summer months?

Most importantly, will mixing cause harm?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.