This dang freightliner
04-28-2019, (Subject: This dang freightliner ) 
RE: This dang freightliner
(04-28-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(04-28-2019 )Keving Wrote:  I'm starting to understand exactly where you're coming from at this rate. the sad thing is I have plenty of tools at home I've rebuilt jetski 2 stroke motors 4 stroke atvs motorcycles and I've replaced clutches on cars but this particular repair and the one before it were random or atleast I think it was there was no sign of slippage as far as the clutch went I pulled into the truck stop to get fuel and then pulled up from the fuel island went inside and when I came out the truck wouldn't shift into gear it's an automatic which was also probably a bad decision so I tried everything I knew to do cutting power to the truck cycling the key multiple times and nothing I did could get the truck to go into gear I also released the brake and let it roll forward some and still nothing so I got it towed to a shop that had towing they quoted the clutch and eca I thought because I had no signs of issues with the clutch that the eca was my real problem so I had them tow it over to freightliner who ended up quoting the same thing I'm not sure what else I could've done really short of towing it all the way from South Carolina to Florida I can't imagine the pilot truck stop would like me attempting to pull my transmission on the ground in their parking lot but I'm here to learn so if you have any better ideas and suggestions I definitely want to hear them because like you said this is my fault and I'm trying to fix my mistakes and prevent new ones.

Many times a person can pull the fuses from the XY shifter a time or 2, bump the power to

I've attempted going to get parts myself with uber which worked once and the other time ended up needing a radiator and a starter and delta p sensor technically I could do this in the truck parking lot if they don't get mad about it but it was very cold outside. I'll take a look at the link I appreciate it
replyreply
(04-28-2019 )Keving Wrote:  Also it's not all from that repair my delta p sensor set off a code at a pilot 30 miles from Indianapolis when it was about -20 or so I got on my phone and looked up info about cleaning the sensor and venturi pipe I removed the pipe and attempted to clean the holes on the pipe that were completely plugged with brake cleaner a pick and I got one of them clear but the other one i couldn't so i found the closest stealership which was in Indianapolis and I ordered an uber there to get a new sensor and venturi pipe when I came back I started the truck to attempt to get warm and I could smell coolant so I popped the hood and found a crack at the top of my radiator that was gushing coolant maybe because i didn't have a winter front? Idk I run heat in transit so I have to buy coolant frequently so the coolant was straight out of the 50/50 jugs idk why it cracked maybe 500k+miles of use maybe not having a winter front again idk also my starter was acting up and there's no way I could drive the truck with a 5mph de rate and coolant gushing out onto the ground so I got towed to the Schneider shop in Indianapolis again I don't think there's much else I could've done in this situation but if you have ideas I'm all ears

I can only take a guess that you have never taken a test strip to the coolant yourself to ensure that -30 is OK for it? - maintained coolant is not going to do that to you, but blindly pouring/dumping coolant into your rad all the time and never checking it -- WILL BITE YOU IN THE ARSSE JUST LIKE YOU DESCRIBED!.

This post somehow screams neglect. Youy say you work on other engines, equipment,.. WHY WOULD YOU NEGLECT THE ONE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT THAT EARNS YOUR ENTIRE LIVING??? --

You wonder why you have so much issue?--

Lastly,.. you neglected the hell out of your EGR and emissions systems until it was in dire desperate need of repairs -- you waited till all the CEL lights started plaguing it instead of b eing pro-active and on top of it!.. -- THAT IS EXACTLY HOW MOST PEOPLE FIND MY SITE!

I AM HERE TO TRY TO KNOCK SOME SENSE INTO THAT HEAD AND WAKE YOU UP!.

MY FORUM IS ABOUT WAKING PEOPLE THE THE HELL UP AND SEEING THE LIGHT THAT YOU CNAS'T JUST RUN AROUND BLIND TILL THE CEL LIGHT PLAGUES YOU AND YOUR LOOKING AT $$$$ REPAIRS!!! -- IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RESPONSES, THERE WAS NO REASON TO COME ON HERE AND JOIN THIS FORUM BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THIS PLACE IS FOR!!!.

Ask yourself,.. 'What would Rawze have done?'... I can tell you this,.. i would have limped that thing back to the house before taking it to a shop for radiator , even in -30 weather,.. I would have unscrewed the rad cap and driven that thing home with a rag over the hole!.

As they say in the military --- ADAPT, OVERCOME, or IMPROVISE,.. otherwise -- someone else will and you will loose!. Trucking these days seems to be just like that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Keving
When was the last time you did a clutch inspection and checked the amount of wear, etc? when is the last time you ensured the XY shifter was in good shape, had it inspected?

As a response to this honestly I hadn't checked it. that's quite a thorough list for your prostar when I get time I'll start going through everything I've never been one to go to a dealership for anything the shop I originally had look at the truck put off a vibe of selling me something I didn't need but how dumb it is to think freightliner wouldn't do the same thing is why I had it towed to freightliner hoping it was really just the electronic clutch actuator I didn't get a good vibe from the first shop but obviously the stealership isn't much better
replyreply
You more than likely snapped your hood open on that extremely cold day and cracked your radiator. Be gentle opening that hood. It may not have been you but if you bought a used truck you can guarantee the previous knuckle draggers threw it open without a 2nd thought.

Newer trucks for the most part don't recommend running winter fronts. The engine compartment is crowded enough and insulated to keep heat in even the coldest conditions.
replyreply
(04-28-2019 )Keving Wrote:  When was the last time you did a clutch inspection and checked the amount of wear, etc? when is the last time you ensured the XY shifter was in good shape, had it inspected?

I have crawl under my truck just about every single time it is home,.. I typically adjust the clutch about every 3 weeks or so.

YES, I DO all that stuff in the maint' schedule for my truck. -- I WANT TO MAKE MONEY I CAN KEEP! and absolutely do not want any excuses for it to put me on the side of the road,.. OR for it to cost me any more fuel or repair costs than unnecessarily. - I AM LIKE D.O.T> MAN FROM HELL with my own equipment and with other people's stuff when they are here just as if I owned it too.

You gotta know there is something wrong with someone (me) who bakes the axle-hubs in the wife's oven when she ain't home to install bearings regularly -LOL, and everyone who has ever been here would tell you -- Yeah, I am actually like that,.. especially with my own equipment. - its called truck ownership 101!.

i take my buisness very seriously, I cut no corners, and I do all the things in my maint schedule methodically, all the way donwn to testing the king pin with the official Holland king pin 5th wheel test set'. And btw: I do have a bottle of test strips for the coolant,. I get them for amazon... ref: https://amzn.to/2Wgzp3E
My truck has more than 1.3 million miles,.. Everyone who has ever been behind the wheel of it says it feels like is has less than 200k miles on it, still has the 'new truck' tightness and feel to it, more-so than most of the other trucks that come here with not even half that many miles on them.

I practice EXACTLY what I preach, and so do most of the other top guys on here who are highly profitable!-- That is how it is done! -- The hard, and correct way! - otherwise, you are only cheating yourself and broke all the time due to unforeseen sh%$it that could have been totally prevented!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(04-28-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(04-28-2019 )Keving Wrote:  Also it's not all from that repair my delta p sensor set off a code at a pilot 30 miles from Indianapolis when it was about -20 or so I got on my phone and looked up info about cleaning the sensor and venturi pipe I removed the pipe and attempted to clean the holes on the pipe that were completely plugged with brake cleaner a pick and I got one of them clear but the other one i couldn't so i found the closest stealership which was in Indianapolis and I ordered an uber there to get a new sensor and venturi pipe when I came back I started the truck to attempt to get warm and I could smell coolant so I popped the hood and found a crack at the top of my radiator that was gushing coolant maybe because i didn't have a winter front? Idk I run heat in transit so I have to buy coolant frequently so the coolant was straight out of the 50/50 jugs idk why it cracked maybe 500k+miles of use maybe not having a winter front again idk also my starter was acting up and there's no way I could drive the truck with a 5mph de rate and coolant gushing out onto the ground so I got towed to the Schneider shop in Indianapolis again I don't think there's much else I could've done in this situation but if you have ideas I'm all ears

I can only take a guess that you have never taken a test strip to the coolant yourself to ensure that -30 is OK for it? - maintained coolant is not going to do that to you, but blindly pouring/dumping coolant into your rad all the time and never checking it -- WILL BITE YOU IN THE ARSSE JUST LIKE YOU DESCRIBED!.

This post somehow screams neglect. Youy say you work on other engines, equipment,.. WHY WOULD YOU NEGLECT THE ONE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT THAT EARNS YOUR ENTIRE LIVING??? --

You wonder why you have so much issue?--

Lastly,.. you neglected the hell out of your EGR and emissions systems until it was in dire desperate need of repairs -- you waited till all the CEL lights started plaguing it instead of b eing pro-active and on top of it!.. -- THAT IS EXACTLY HOW MOST PEOPLE FIND MY SITE!

I AM HERE TO TRY TO KNOCK SOME SENSE INTO THAT HEAD AND WAKE YOU UP!.

MY FORUM IS ABOUT WAKING PEOPLE THE THE HELL UP AND SEEING THE LIGHT THAT YOU CNAS'T JUST RUN AROUND BLIND TILL THE CEL LIGHT PLAGUES YOU AND YOUR LOOKING AT $$$$ REPAIRS!!! -- IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RESPONSES, THERE WAS NO REASON TO COME ON HERE AND JOIN THIS FORUM BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT THIS PLACE IS FOR!!!.

Ask yourself,.. 'What would Rawze have done?'... I can tell you this,.. i would have limped that thing back to the house before taking it to a shop for radiator , even in -30 weather,.. I would have unscrewed the rad cap and driven that thing home with a rag over the hole!.

As they say in the military --- ADAPT, OVERCOME, or IMPROVISE,.. otherwise -- someone else will and you will loose!. Trucking these days seems to be just like that.

I appreciate your honesty not sure if this is true but I was told the delta p sensor has to be programmed so even replacing the original wouldn't have gotten me down the road faster than 5mph to this point I'm sure there's some software i can download to take care of this problem myself? I was in Indianapolis Indiana with a load going to Portland Oregon and I live in Jacksonville Florida so it would be difficult to get the truck there plus the fact i was under a load. if i had the needed software/ computer and a way to hook it to the truck then I could've limped the truck and trailer to the company yard and dropped the trailer there and let them handle it while I fixed the truck. As far as neglect there's no excuse when I'm home I like to spend that time with my family I've been neglectful to the truck because I got comfortable I don't spend my money on fancy cars or trucks or things that I would love to have what it buys me is time at home with my family where I don't have to be on the road. I'm putting my wife through nursing school and trying to be there for my 3.5 year old son I'm realizing now that a day spent during time off better maintaining the truck could've prevented alot of our recent headaches which a result would be less money spent and more time at home that thought hurts but all I can do is quit making the same mistakes and learn from the prior ones and get help here. As far as your comments they're honest and it's what I need and I'm sure others like me need to make the needed change to be successful in this industry and life in general. So I think I'll stay if you don't mind Haha
replyreply
(04-28-2019 )Keving Wrote:  ...
I appreciate your honesty not sure if this is true but I was told the delta p sensor has to be programmed

Not sure abotu Detroit but since this is a mostly ISX forum,.. if it was an ISX,...

I would say that someone WOULD BE LYING TO YOU!. There is not a single simple sensor on the isx engine that 'needs to be programmed' to replace it. The turbo needs to be calibrated using software, The DPF needs a software reset if you pull it and have it baked out, but pretty much nothing else. -- Hopefully you will start to realize that all your mindset there is based on a lot of mis-information of the past. - I do not allow mis-informatuion,.. nor excuses to fester themselves here,..that is why it is a forum and not some public social medai garbage dump.

As far as Detroit goes, maybe Unilevers or someone who knows the correct answer can chime in and verify this? - even so, I would have gotten the software one way or another before long before I would have ended up in that situation, I hate relying on anyone else, especially for a stupid sensor replacement.

replyreply
Rawze I'm scared at this point how many things you'd find wrong with my truck I don't doubt you're thorough right now I'm just trying to make some money to pay the Bills but I'm going to make time to start looking things over better and unfortunately spend less time at home for awhile.
replyreply
This truck is a dd13 not sure if that makes a difference I may not have mentioned it here but I did mention it to mr hagg in the email I sent to him
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.