Moving Home
02-05-2021, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
Moving Home
Figured this would be a good place to start a thread about moving back to where I grew up. I came out to WA 19 years ago to help take care of my grandfather. It was supposed to be a temporary move but he made it to 2009. A good long life and I'm glad I got to know him as well as I did. By then I had started a business, bought a house, and met someone. That someone is really the only reason I stuck around

Now we have decided that we are done with this place. Time to go back east to be closer to both our families. I shut down my business a couple years ago and have been doing nothing but remodeling both our houses. Hers will go on the market next week. Mine still has a few more weeks of work to wrap up. I added 400 square feet onto the back

We've been paring down pretty well and think that I can get all our stuff back in two trips. Little truck with a dump trailer and the big truck with maybe a trailer. The wife drives her SUV

When I closed down my company I transferred my Peterbilt into my name and put collector plates on it. No need for a CDL and I don't have to follow any of the laws that only apply to commercial carriers

Hopefully by sharing what I'm doing you guys can help it be less of a fiasco. I'm going to look at a 24' dry van on Saturday. It looks like it needs work but, like I said before, I don't have to adhere to all the commercial vehicle regulations. That being said, I want to be safe
replyreply
RE: Moving Home
Hmmm, something sounds off about not needing a CDL and not having to abide by laws of commercial carriers. I dont know what Washington allows for with whatever plates you put on that Pete. But the rest if the country may not take the same view if you go rolling on or by a scale house looking and being a full on commercial vehicle...

What rules do you think you don't have to abide by?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
(02-05-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Hmmm, something sounds off about not needing a CDL and not having to abide by laws of commercial carriers. I dont know what Washington allows for with whatever plates you put on that Pete. But the rest if the country may not take the same view if you go rolling on or by a scale house looking and being a full on commercial vehicle...

What rules do you think you don't have to abide by?

agreed .. last I checked, the CDL requirement normally goes by the Vehicles weight RATING and/or any use of air brakes, ... not by "what your using it for".

Also, all D.O.T. and EPA laws still also apply to the vehicle itself if used on the roadways. The only thing that perhaps does not apply is commercial carrier rules portions like up-to-date physical, log-book, shipping paperwork... etc.. if it is not carrying commercial freight.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I'm just going to do a a quick run through, I have 6 pages of all the laws that I keep in the truck but I'm not going to cut and paste that here

RCW 46.25.050 - Commercial driver's license required
"However, this requirement does not apply to any person:
(e) Who is a collector truck operator using the vehicle in accordance with RCW 46.25.010."

RCW 46.25.010 - Definitions
(6) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:...

(26) "Collector truck" means a vehicle that:
(a) Has current registration;
(b) Is older than thirty years old;
© Is a vehicle that meets the weight criteria of subsection (6) of this section;
(d) Is capable of safely operating on the highway;
(e) Is used for occasional use to and from truck conventions, auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique vehicle club meetings;
(f) Is used for the pleasure of others without compensation; and
(g) Is not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier and not used for commercial purposes.

RCW 46.30.020 - Liability insurance or other financial responsibility required
"(3) The provisions of this chapter shall not govern:
(a) The operation of a motor vehicle registered under RCW 46.18.220..."

RCW 46.18.220 - Collector vehicle license plates
"(1) A registered owner may apply to the department, county auditor or other agent, or subagent appointed by the director for a collector vehicle license plate for a motor vehicle or travel trailer that is at least thirty years old."
replyreply
I just started researching the federal laws

Title 49: Transportation
PART 390—FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS; GENERAL
§390.5 Definitions.
"Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—"

Right off the bat I'm not covered by those laws since I'm not involved with interstate commerce

Believe me. There are a lot of people that don't understand these laws, including much of law enforcement. They just see a big truck and assume it's commercial. The actual laws say otherwise
replyreply
(02-05-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  Also, all D.O.T. and EPA laws still also apply to the vehicle itself if used on the roadways at all. The only thing that does not apply is commercial carrier rules portions like up-to-date physical, log-book, shipping paperwork... etc.. if it is not carrying commercial freight.

For sure. I still have to have all the lights and reflectors that the DOT says I need. I'm having a hard time finding correct information though. The newest regulations include things like daytime running lights, high mount stop lights, etc that none of my vehicles have. They don't require retrofitting that stuff on passenger cars and trucks. I see vintage trailers at shows that aren't covered with reflective tape so I'm assuming there is an exception or some regulation that I'm not finding

EPA is satisfied since I haven't modified the engine or disabled any emissions equipment. There's not really much in the way of emissions equipment on a 32 year old engine though
replyreply
What are you going to be doing with a dry van that isn't interstate commerce? You haven't said what you're doing at all actually.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(02-05-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  What are you going to be doing with a dry van that isn't interstate commerce? You haven't said what you're doing at all actually.

I reads to me like he is going to move the truck to his new place. I was figuring the van trailer to pack his stuff in on the way. Then keeping the truck around to take to shows.
replyreply
Yup, as the title says: I'm moving back home

Every bit of what I'm moving is personal property
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.