Burning coolant
03-31-2021, (Subject: Burning coolant ) 
RE: Burning coolant
Bought it new

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Just got back checked the turbo, it's dry. At this point I'm thinking it's either

A.... a really small leak in the EGR cooler that only opens up and leaks sometimes, possibly only when the engine is hot??

B.... a bad injector cup, also barely leaking

C.... a bad o-ring on an injector(not likely because I would think it would leak quite a bit of coolant past a torn o-ring)
I doubt it would be a dropped liner or a cracked head just because the engine has such low miles but who knows???
Should I drop the pan and look for coolant coming down a cylinder wall?

replyreply
most likely a slightly leaky injector cup if ya ask me.

only way to know for sure is to drop the pan and let it sit all weekend with 20 psi on it... turn it by hand and listen for a gurgle from a cylinder on a compression stroke.

If ya can't find it like that, then run it.. there is nothing you can do about it. Might want to consider converting it to a zero pressure system... that is what I did with mine when I found out it was seeping slight amounts of coolant at 270k~ish miles. After converting it to zero pressure, It made it to 980k before I finally got around to inframing it and found out it was cylinder #6 injector cup.
zero-pressure conversion http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid13369

my truck now has 1.4 million miles on it... it is still a zero pressure system, I use regular red ELC coolant.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I've decided I'm not going to waste a bunch of time and effort on it. It's such a slight leak I'm just gonna keep an eye on the coolant level and try to keep the external leaks under control so I'll know when it's drinking it, do an oil sample every other oil change and call it a day. I'm considering the zero pressure system as well.

I'll be hollowing out the cans and blocking the egr off tomorrow, I took it as far as it was reasonable to do so.

replyreply
04-02-2021, (Subject: Burning coolant ) 
I've been running zero coolant pressure in my trucks for 13 years. Zero problems with liner pitting. The only down side is be sure to stay on top of coolant hoses. I had a tendency to let them go far too long before changing them because I just didn't think about them. It'll happen when you have a lack of chasing coolant leaks... its a good problem to have.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.