Fuel leak from top of gear pump head
04-16-2021, (Subject: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head ) 
Fuel leak from top of gear pump head
Anyone familiar with these plugs on the top of the fuel pump head? Noticed a very slight fuel smell when I shut down for the day, upon further inspection, and after a clean-up, it appears the fuel is leaking through the torx plug shown in the pic. Don't see any info on Quickserve about it either. Only info I have found is they are not serviceable and can only be repaired by replacing the head----which would be ridiculous, but not at all surprising.

- What is their purpose, and has anyone removed one to see what seals them? Figured I'd ask before diving in blindly and needing a 'backordered' part.

BTW, This is on a cm2350 w/ about 490k. Replaced the guts of the FP a few months back again as a precaution. Haven't had any fuel or leaking issues other than this today. Performance has remained the same (although I haven't run a leak down test with insite yet with the discovery of this leak).

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head
I don't have the answer but if it's just leaking a few drops like that, maybe just leave it alone and keep an eye on it.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(04-16-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  I don't have the answer but if it's just leaking a few drops like that, maybe just leave it alone and keep an eye on it.

Yea, def will keep an eye on it ...just got it to the house and did some more inspecting.. Little wet on the bottom of the pump from the Torx plug leaking and running down. Couple of drips made it to the front axle (so it's leaking at higher RPM). What you see there happened within 25-30 miles after I cleaned it and ran it home.

Leaks of any kind drive me nuts and I address them ASAP, but it would really be some $hit if I had to change the damn pump head for this, especially after just having it off and replacing the P/B assemblies....where's the hand to face icon when ya need one lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , tree98 , JMBT
Welcome to my world... LOL!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
If it's leaking that much you definitely gotta fix it.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
If you can smell it in the cab, like Tree stated, has to be fixed.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(04-16-2021 )Waterloo Wrote:  If you can smell it in the cab, like Tree stated, has to be fixed.

Cant smell it in the cab, I just always make it a habit to 'sniff' around under the hood at the end of the shift. You can catch plenty with the engine heat and the general smell around it. Just so happened to faintly get the fuel scent today.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I'll try to give you all an update tomorrow once the weather clears up. I still haven't found any useful info on the topic other that the torx not being a serviceable part. I'll most likely try to gently remove it to see if there's possibly a sealing ring or O-ring with a back-up ring---we shall see. Going to use a torque wrench to see what it's going to require to remove.

- Highly doubt it's just a tapered plug, but who knows?
replyreply
04-17-2021, (Subject: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head ) 
So, once again cleaned it thoroughly and let the truck run. Very very subtle, but looks like the fuel is creeping through the threads of the torx plug. Grabbed the torque wrench and moved up in small increments to see the force it would take to remove it. Seems like it broke free at about 85ft/lbs. (I used a t60 socket....I believe a T65 would be perfect, but only had a 60 and 70 in that range. Cummins may have a specific tool as the ends are squared rather that pointed like a traditional torx bit).

Here are a couple pics I took of the removed plug. Seems to press on a spring loaded valve below inside the cavity. Also appears that it’s a machined surface seal. The plug has some very light marking within the center (maybe this is the issue?). Once tthe weather clears I’ll get some more pics and try to clean, reinstall and torque.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.