Fuel leak from top of gear pump head
04-26-2021, (Subject: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head ) 
RE: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head
Ran about 610mi last night and everything worked out well. Stopped after the first 50 miles to give a quick visual check, then again after another 100mi when I reached my first pickup location. No fuel smell, hesitations, or anything else indicating an issue at this time.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to give me a shout. This would be time #3 being inside this pump, so I may be able to give you a few pointers if you're having any concerns.

Thanks to anyone who followed along, and once again I'll update if anything changes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , snailexpress , tree98 , JimT
05-01-2021, (Subject: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head ) 
After a lonnnggg and what seemed to be a never-ending week, I'm certainly glad to report everything made it through all good. About 3700mi or so and pump head seems to be doing well.

* Something interesting is that all 3 fill-ups this week have been averaging approx .2 additional miles per gallon. Noticed the improvement immediately.

Now, is it just a coincidence? Possibly... My loads are averaging around 68-70k (about 7-8k lighter) and the weather has been fairly normal all but one day. Maybe thats the reason? Doesn't seem like it though. I have been chasing that small mileage loss for quite sometime (mentioned this in another post) with no luck. However, I didn't know the head had issues until the fuel crept from the torx plug. I hadn't done a leak down test within the previous 50-60k miles of the failure so I didn't catch anything abnormal.

Hopefully that mileage improvement remains.....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JimT
05-09-2021, (Subject: Fuel leak from top of gear pump head ) 
Another week in and everything still going strong with the reman head. About 7500miles since repair and am more confident the 'slight' fuel mileage loss has been a result of the previous failing head. All fill-ups since repair have recouped my previous loss with my latest fill-up finally breaking into the 9mpg range for the first time this year.

It's no secret if you've read some of my other posts....I monitor fuel mpg very closely (much like Rawze does), and this missing couple tenths or so had been driving me nuts. Although it seems minuscule now, I guarantee the more the fuel price rises, the less minuscule it will be. Squeeze every penny from that fuel you can; Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be checking up any time soon.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , snailexpress , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.