Fan Clutch
04-30-2021, (Subject: Fan Clutch ) 
RE: Fan Clutch
It's always a good idea to get the fan off. If you weren't replacing the blades you would probably just leave them leaned up against the radiator once it was off the hub.

Depending on what fan hub you have will also dictate whether you SHOULD have a 2nd set of hands or not. I've done them all by myself but those Horton fan hubs that are integrated to the pulley and mount are incredibly heavy and awkward to lift and hold 1 handed while the other starts a bolt. It's a really good idea to have someone up on the engine to hold the hub assembly up (using the fan belt as a sling around the pulley) while the other guy starts the bolts.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
a piece of pipe or 2x4 across the top of the opening and a bit of rope helps for those who might not want to man-handle something heavy. ... or as a safety so it does not drop.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , JMBT
So I thought I'd have to replace the entire assembly based on the pictures I pulled up. Turns out the part they gave me is just the new clutch (and bolts with blue loctite), so the pulley and mount will not need to be removed from the engine. Much lighter that way. So the question is moot. Will remove fan then clutch and replace with new parts.

Might not even need to remove anything radiator-wise except for the hose on the very top (and the CAC hoses). Hoses to the A/C condenser appear to have enough slack top and bottom that I can lean the rad forward enough to do the job.

Was gonna replace the solenoid too but turns out that part is back ordered and no one has any. No biggie, it's working fine and is easily located on the firewall if I need to do it in the future. Right now the fan will freely spin even with no air going to it, with only a slight drag. Glad I didn't ignore it, getting too hot out to be without a fully working fan.

Now just need to wait for the 40-50mph winds to die down before I work near that open hood. Probably take the entire week off to tackle other odds and ends that I've been putting off. Guess I'll miss Road Check again this year. Darn

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
When you replace that Keyser hub your gonna want to take EXTRA care and I mean seriously Extra care to replace the black alignment bushing on straight on the hub and clutch drive. It's really easy to get it misaligned and mess it up.

It's nothing to have fear of doing. It simply slides on. I usually install it on the clutch assembly then gently line it up on the hub and push on with my hand until its flush and flat. Then install the mount bolts. If you think you may have spun the hub out of alignment of the bushing then pull it back off and align it again. Don't just assume it's right and run the bolts down.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JimT , JMBT
05-01-2021, (Subject: Fan Clutch ) 
Since this thread is already started regarding fan clutches. Any of you using hortons variable speed viscous clutch? Ive got a single speed on this new truck and the constant on-off is gonna drive me nuts.
replyreply
All done. Overall pretty easy. Worst part was getting the fan shroud off. A few of those bolts were really hard to get to. If only my arms bent in 2 or 3 more places...

So I drained a few gallons of coolant, disconnected the radiator hoses and CAC hoses. Didn't need to touch the AC at all. Also didn't need to loosen the lower radiator bolts as the rubber bushings allowed for enough movement. Once I got the fan out I removed the shroud. The renegade that I am, I didn't use any cardboard over the radiator. Wasn't an issue, with everything out there was plenty of room to work. Never came in contact with it.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete
More pictures

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
05-02-2021, (Subject: Fan Clutch ) 
That the same one I use on my truck. If memory serves me right, it can be had for less than $200 at Global parts here in atlanta.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-02-2021, (Subject: Fan Clutch ) 
I like the fact that new fan blades come pre balanced. That metal piece that's clipped on the one blade is I believe the balance weight.

Both my 06 international and my 2010 kw blades came upgraded design and balanced for I think $125 from OEM. For the price and peace of mind it was well worth replacing on both trucks after being 10+ years old.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.