No Codes! No Lights!
05-20-2021, (Subject: No Codes! No Lights! ) 
No Codes! No Lights!
New poster with a CM 2350x101. First...its doing two to three “sort of” regens a day. What I mean by “sort of” is that all I can tell it is doing is raising the idle a bit, 750 rpm, and pouring the fuel in. Will last from 15 minutes to 2 hours. When what I believe is a proper “rolling” regen happens, I think 4 times so far, the Hot Exhaust light comes on and the throttle response changes. Ok, a little history: This is a newly dealer installed 160k engine in a 677k Peterbilt 597. This issue was occurring for month or so with the old engine before the liner sank. The truck was then parked for a year. The new engine was little more than a block, head, turbo and ECM so most of the accessories are from the old engine. It started doing it again right away. Since I picked it up I’ve been back and had a cracked exhaust pipe next to the DPF system replaced, then had the DPF sonic cleaned and over that 10 day period the dealer did three forced regens to check things and all were “Everything is working perfect or better than it should” No engine lights and no codes since the install 4k ago. Also, on the last forced regen the mechanic said it showed 3 ounces of soot in the DPF I assume. The dealer mechanics are scratching their heads looking for direction. I really like all the other work they do so I don’t wanna go anywhere else for now anyway. I have talked to a few mechanics at local companies and have heard more than once to redo the wiring harness around the DPF system and replace the DEF doser. Anyone have any input on all this and/or what should I do next?
replyreply
05-20-2021, (Subject: No Codes! No Lights! ) 
RE: No Codes! No Lights!
yeah,.... STOP GOING TO THE ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS OEM STEALS%#IT REPAIR SHOPS!!!... THEY ARE BEYOND CLUELESS IDIOTS!!!

Until you get it thru your head that YOU ARE DOING THAT VERY THING that puts most O/O's out of business... you are not going to get anywhere with it!. - You're caught up in that all-mighty wheel of poorly-trained repair shops and clueless idiots and you're drinking it up like a cat to warm milk, because that is what most O/O's do any more because they have no idea how bad the OEM places truly are.

Does your butt hurt yet?--- does your Wallet Hurt? .. because that is what they are trained to do... instead of solving actual problems... to replace parts until your wallet is empty.. or until it mysteriously goes away... ALL AT YOUR LOSS in down-time, lost freight, and wasted $$$$ moneys!

That is the first problem you have shown in your post so far, and it is much bigger than your current engine woes.

=========

NEXT: What about that replacement engine?.. your post brings up several red flags with that alone. What is the ser# (the ESN#) of the old engine?.. What is the ser# (ESN#) of the new one?. Are they even the same tier?... does the new engine even have the same program in it?, as you stated that the ECM was replaced. This will make a HUGE difference on how well or poorly that emissions system is going to run... or if it is even comparable with that tier engine that got dropped in. <- that is red flag number 2.

NEXT:... Do you have Insite and a laptop? ... if not then WHY NOT!!!>>> THAT IS YOUR VERY NEXT INVESTMENT .. YOU SHOULD HAVE PURCHASED A CHEAP-O CHINESE INLINE-5 OR INLINE-6 ADAPTER OFF EBAY FOR A FEW HUNDRED BUCKS AND HAVE THE SOFTWARE to troubleshoot that thing.. otherwise you're always going to be at the mercy of some clueless stealerS#it!! or repair shop... WASTING MONEY ENDLESSLY!... <- red flag number 3.

What does the regen history look like in Insite?.. post a pic or 3 of the history, so that we can see what it has been doing .. and how healthy the systems are at least reported to be.

NEXT: WTF do you mean by "Sonic Cleaning"... That sounds really scary... like some after-market DPF destroying garbage crap to me ... THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY to properly clean those DOC and DPF elements.. and that is to --- Have it baked, then De-ashed, Then flow-tested on proper machinery that is approved by the OEM.. JUST ABOUT all other methods that I have seen done significantly shortens the life of the DPF and/or makes it very hard for it to regen because of weakening it in some way or washing out the precious metals form it. Here is the proper machinery that should be used...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid50975
Was that red flag number 4?.. I am losing count here.

=============

NEXT: What has been done to the engine?-- THE DPF DOES NOT MAKE SOOT.. IT COLLECTS IT!... THE ENGINE IS THE ISSUE IF THE DPF SYSTEM CANNOT KEEP UP OR IS COLLECTING SOOT TOO OFTEN... NOT THE DPF SYSTEM! . Has anyone bothered to do a full EGR tune-up? where they replaced the IMAP, pulled and cleaned out all the EGR piping, cleaned the EGR valve, and replaced the other old EGR sensors?.. <- red flag number 5?.

- Owning an ISX.. or any other modern engine requires the truck owner to keep after these things. If you're unable to, then you'd best start investing in the proper tooling and equipment. Otherwise you're just going to go out of business chasing your tail by running off to every under-trained OEM stealers$it and shop every time that CEL light comes on... YOU are the only one that is going to do EGR tune-up work to it.. NO SHOP.. AND ESPECIALLY NO STEALER#shi#t IS GOING TO DO THIS.. THEY ARE NOT TRAINED FOR IT AND THEY WILL NOT DO TUNE-UP WORK!!... YOU HAVE TO DO IT YOURSELF.. OR SUFFER ITS CONSEQUENCES JUST LIKE YOUR DESCRIBING!>

A modern ISX engine can be your best friend ... if you care for it, and learn how to work on it and keep after it yourself properly ... or your worst enemy .. by letting everyone else monkey with to the cost of $175/hr or more.. endlessly. - It's your choice.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-21-2021, (Subject: No Codes! No Lights! ) 
Well....Thanks for the reply!!! You are right on all counts! One problem is that I live out in the sticks and my options are sort of limited unless I drive 150 miles and then I don’t know where to take it to YET. The sonic cleaning hasn’t been around too long and I won’t name the outfit because you asked not to but all the locals swear by it and the guy is real busy. The new engine is a ‘15 79841599 160k on it. The old one was a ‘14 797?????? 485 hp. Yea I’m gonna have to get the stuff to work on it myself and I am capable... just lazy. Because this issue is exactly the same as was happening with the old engine, I’m gonna try to replace one or two more things at the local “dealer”. Also, things are real busy and I don’t want to shut down during the week yet and this dealer works to midnight and Friday evening is my only window to get anything done. Just started the clock and gotta go.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
replyreply
05-21-2021, (Subject: No Codes! No Lights! ) 
(05-21-2021 )onebadapple Wrote:  ...

I won’t name the outfit because you asked not to but all the locals swear by it and the guy is real busy.

here is some words form the "sonic Cleaner" DPF machines that are being used...
Quote:...
Ultrasonic cleaners employ oscillating sound pressure waves at frequencies beyond those perceptible by the human ear (ultrasound). As the soundwaves act on the tank and agitate the contained liquid, cavitation (the implosion of tiny air bubbles within the liquid) is induced.

YOUR FRIENDS ARE COMPLETELY CLUELESS IF THEY ARE USING THESE CLOWNS!!! -- STOP LISTENING TO THEM AND TELL THAT SHOP TO GO F#UCK THEMSELVES!!!!--- USING ANY KIND OF LIQUID AT ALL ON THAT DOC AND DPF ELEMENTS HAS BEEN KNOWN TO RAPIDLY WASH AWAY WHAT LITTLE BIT OF PRECIOUS METALS THAT THEY HAVE IN THEM. IT IS THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO, IS TO USE USE ANY KIND OF LIQUID AT ALL TO CLEAN A DPF ELEMENT.

DPF WEAKENEING MORONS!!!! - YOU GET A REALLY CLEAN DPF CAN THAT CAN'T REGEN WORTH A DAMN BECAUSE HALF ITS PRECIOUS METALS ARE NOW GONE AND WASHED AWAY!!!

SNAKE OIL AT ITS FINEST... AT THE IGNORANCE OF THE TRUCK OWNER!.. THAT IS WHAT YOUR STARRING AT!.

Run as fast as you can from that place.. and BY THE WAY: YOUR DPF WAS CLEANED BY THEM ... IT IS NOW MOST LIKELY SEVERELY WEAKENED BY LETTING THEM DO THAT TO IT!!!... YOU ARE NOW FACING THE VERY REAL POSSIBILITY OF HAVING TO REPLACE THAT DPF AND ANY OTHER COMPONENTS THAT THOSE CLOWN MIGHT HAVE USED THAT MACHINE ON!... THAT IS WHAT YOUR FACING!

That saying goes ... (there is a sucker born every day) ... do you suddenly feel like that guy?. I know I would be feeling like that right about now, if I were in your shoes and reading this.

Here is some related reading on using liquids with a DPF to clean them: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid51493

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-23-2021, (Subject: No Codes! No Lights! ) 
Well....I don’t feel like a “sucker” or “butt hurt” or anything like that. I live in Frac Sand central and dozens and dozens if not hundreds of late model DPF trucks have been added to local fleets. The local dealers, for hire shops and fleet shops use this guy. If there were any significant issues, I would have heard about it! However, you are most likely right in that it is not the best way to clean the DPF. Now....back to “No lights No codes”. Let’s just say that I have just installed a brand new DPF and DOC and it is still going into this “sort of” regen with no lights and no codes.
With the dealer’s laptop hooked up the time I got it there while in this mode he said it trying to go into regen. All the truck was doing was idling at 750 rpm and warming up and using lots of fuel. No hot exhaust light or any thing else until he did a forced regen. Something is telling the ECM to regen for some reason. In a few days I am going to have them install a new wiring harness around the DPF system and take out DEF doser to check and clean it and also the fuel injector doser. Anything else that you can think of that would be telling the ECM to regen like this?

Thank You!!!
replyreply
Was the system reset when the new cans were installed using Insite?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: onebadapple
(05-23-2021 )onebadapple Wrote:  Well....I don’t feel like a “sucker” or “butt hurt” or anything like that. I live in Frac Sand central and dozens and dozens if not hundreds of late model DPF trucks have been added to local fleets. The local dealers, for hire shops and fleet shops use this guy. If there were any significant issues, I would have heard about it! However, you are most likely right in that it is not the best way to clean the DPF. Now....back to “No lights No codes”. Let’s just say that I have just installed a brand new DPF and DOC and it is still going into this “sort of” regen with no lights and no codes.
With the dealer’s laptop hooked up the time I got it there while in this mode he said it trying to go into regen. All the truck was doing was idling at 750 rpm and warming up and using lots of fuel. No hot exhaust light or any thing else until he did a forced regen. Something is telling the ECM to regen for some reason. In a few days I am going to have them install a new wiring harness around the DPF system and take out DEF doser to check and clean it and also the fuel injector doser. Anything else that you can think of that would be telling the ECM to regen like this?

Thank You!!!

like I said earlier... post pics of the regen history,.... no one on here has truck E.S.P.

replyreply
Thanks Waterloo, I’ll check on that. Ok....for now I don’t have Insite and sure don’t have any pics. What I do know, for what it’s worth, is that the Tech is Cummins trained and during the last forced regen checked on it every ten minutes or so for two hours and showed and explained to me where everything was and was where it is supposed to be or better.

If I end up with a $4k bill and it is fixed...no problem, I can pay for that in a day, two at the most! What I can’t afford is spending two days at a shop twice a week. So, any sensor or whatever component that could contribute to this I would like to know about, please?

Wasn’t gonna toot my horn here. However, in the days before DPF I was lead mechanic at an oilfield service company and then at a dealer. Also ASE Master Tech! (expired) I know little about DPF systems make it no secret. So, back in the day when a driver did a write up or a customer described his truck’s symptoms I/other mechanics would figure it out from there with NOTHING to plug into it and it had better not come back for the same problem. The oilfield trucks were, in the 90s, making $10k a shift. If it had to sit because of you....you had one second chance!!! In those days it was called experience. Is it called “truck E.S.P. now?
replyreply
Woooo the Kool-Aid is strong in this one

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , SquareOne , amermextrucker , JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.