Advice to new owner/operator
05-27-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
Advice to new owner/operator
So, this post will probably be long due to me explaining all that I can to get the best responses.

Back in March, I purchased the truck that I’m driving. I’ve worked in the oil and gas industry for 21 years. After being laid off last year, I took a year off, but when time to return to work, I immediately looked towards the same industry. I bought the truck and signed a lease to haul frac sand in the south Texas region. Hauling frac sand has its pros and cons. Overall, I thought I’d make quite a bit more than what I’m making. It’s not horrible, but I’m trying to maximize my benefit if I’m going to be driving for the next few years.

About my life:
I currently live in Central America and only travel back to the US for work. All of my 21 years working has been rotational, usually 14 days on / 14 days off. So, being an owner operator, in my mind would be great because I have the ability to create my own work schedule. Everything that I have is paid for and my future plans have me retiring in Central America. I’d like to give a good 2-3 year run at driving, then either find a driver to continue running or just park the truck Incase I ever need to return to driving for whatever reason. I’d also like to be able to work 4-6 weeks at a time, then return home for 2-3 weeks.

My driving experience is limited. Back in 2006-2008, I purchased a truck, but never drove it. The truck was leased on with a company that hauled oilfield equipment on flatbed. Then, in 2016, I was hired on with an oilfield service company that required all employees to have a CDL, in which they paid for the schooling and whatnot. I did drive for about 2 years hauling pneumatic trailers and also a very heavy pumping unit. After the 2 years, I supervised and drove a pickup. But because I was employed with that company and held a CDL, my records reflect that I have 5 years driving experience.

I’m not limited to anything. My wife and kids are back in Central America.

So, with what I’ve written, what do you guys suggest to maximize my time and effort? The only thing I’d like to limit is the amount of equipment I purchase. I’d like to keep it limited to like a power-only scenario. My truck has a chemical pump still installed as that’s what my uncle hauled prior to me purchasing the truck from him. I don’t have hazmat, but can get it. My TWIC card is expired, but can renew. I have tanker and double/triple endorsements.

Dry vans, Reefers, flat beds? OTR, regional? Own Authority, lease authority?

Open to suggestions, comments, or questions.
replyreply
05-27-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
RE: Advice to new owner/operator
If you are in Texas, I would look into getting Texas only operating authority and find a good flatbed to pull. Homer is down there and is doing quite well with this kind of set up. If I were down there, that is exactly what I would do, as there is plenty of work out of the ports for flat beds. Homer does not own any tarps either, so no tarpping required. Maybe PM HHow

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
06-04-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
I tried pm’ing HHow and it’s no good. I’ve cruised older postings to see if maybe I can find something similar to contact this Homer. Is the handle perhaps incorrect?

Anyways, I’m still seeking information about advice for options. I began reaching out yesterday talking to recruiters that will help to get leased on with different companies. A conversation I had with a guy yesterday didn’t seem right. He tried to convince me that there are many “major” freight hauling companies, dry van and reefers, that are seeking o/o to run under their authority. These same companies are paying 65% of revenue and all fuel surcharges. He said this was the industry standard. 65% seems quite low, don’t you think?

I’ve already scheduled my appointment to test to put my hazmat endorsement back on my license. My TWIC card expired, but I’ll get that updated also.

Seems that there are many owner operators here on this board. Any info will be helpful.
replyreply
Lead sled: I will give you this piece of advice, do not lease on to a company that also has company trucks. For obvious reasons, it is in their best interest to put the big $$$ loads on their company fleet then give the scraps to the O/O’s. There are quite a few all O/O companies out there to choose from. Landstar, Mercer, Bennet, Admiral merchants, are just a few of the big ones and I am sure there are many more.

Either go all out with your own authority or find a company that doesn’t have company trucks. Why compete with the company’s own equipment if you don’t have to!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , JimT
65% isn't very good at all unless the carrier is paying for all insurances and permits/plates. Then maybe I'd run the numbers and see if it worked.
replyreply
06-05-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
Thanks for the company list. I’ve seen those pop up and I briefly cruised a few of the just for info seeking purposes.

In reference to the 65%, it was J8 Hunt. The recruiter was making things smell like roses, but the 65% to me was very questionable. I also continued to press for live board snapshots to see what these loads were paying to breakdown to a mileage rate. Nothing was given. I didn’t really give it a thought about the advice not competing with their company trucks.

This sand hauling thing has fallin into the dirt, very slow.

I contacted another company last week, one not on the list. It’s a split of 88/12. Also another option of 80/20, but with trailer rent, ELD, insurance, etc paid. I may try this company to get my feet wet and to try to figure out the system as I’m new into it.

I appreciate the advice. And if there’s anything else anyone can suggest, I’m open ears.
replyreply
07-10-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
(Sorry, this will be long, but about as detailed as I can make it. I get asked these questions a lot and will probably refer people to this post in the future, since I usually refer them to this site anyway. Also, I'm not trying to brag in any way, just giving honest information accurate to the time of posting)

A little late to the party here, but I'm O/O (BCO) with Landstar and here's what I can tell you (nothing truly top secret here, but I do share some hard numbers):

100% owner-op, even the Agents (basically in-house exclusive brokers) are independent contractors so success is a mutual thing.

Revenue:
Tractor gets 65% of the linehaul, 100% fsc, tolls, tarping. There's other stuff, but that's the most common.

Trailers - Landstar only has company owned dryvans. All other trailers are either owned, rented or leased by the BCO. If you pull a company dryvan then theres no additional revenue there. If you have your own dryvan it gets 7% of the linehaul. Most other trailer types get 8% of linehaul. Company has other types of trailers available to rent, such as flatbeds and stepdecks. I've been paying $180 a week to rent a 2012 48x102 Fontaine Revolution52 all aluminum Flatbed directly from Landstar. They pay for 100% of all maintenance and repairs for the trailer, even trailer road service. Only real downside is I'm not supposed to work on or modify it. All-in-all the trailer generates several hundred per week in revenue above the cost of rental, so it works.

Plates/permits:
You can get your own or let them. My tractor is registered for 80k lbs and runs $1700 / year through Landstar. Permits are an additional $200 / year. These are deducted over a bunch of weeks (18 weeks i think) but can also be paid off in full by request.

ELD:
Buy it from Landstar or use one you already have if it's one of the approved systems. Currently you can choose between Keep Truckin or Omnitracks. Keep truckin is cheaper but you need to supply a phone or tablet for display. Omnitracks is one of those big monolithic units similar to peoplenet. Costs more but it's all inclusive. Personally and from talking to other drivers, I thing Keep Truckin is a much nicer solution and more driver friendly. I paired mine with a cheap samsung tablet that never leaves the truck. There is supposed to be a 3rd option coming soon, don't remember the name.

Also, there is a monthly $26 airtime charge for the ELD. Not sure if it's different for the omnitracks units.

Insurance:
These are my costs, purchased through Landstar. You can shop around and get your own as long as it meets their requirements. Your's will probably vary depending on your equipment, driving record, CSA score, state of residence and chosen options.
Monthly: $193.20 for Physical Damage
Weekly: $31.62 for Unladen Liability
Weekly: $31.38 for "Contractor Protection Plan" it's similar to a workers comp type of insurance and allowed instead by my state of residence.

Other:

$3.69 weekly for utilization of the Landstar network. That includes their website, loadboard and phone calls/push notifications/email load alerts.
They used to charge for electronically submitting trip mileage and some other stuff but they did away with that after the ELD's started tracking that for you.
They will handle fuel and mileage tax reporting for you unless you choose to do it yourself. No extra cost. Refunds or deductions for these appear on your settlements.

You need Hazmat and Tanker endorsements. You can sign on without them as long as you add it within 90 days, I think. Hazmat freight almost always pays higher then general freight and liquid in large totes (hazmat or not) falls under the tanker endorsement. TWIC is helpful if you plan on hauling out of ports (plenty of loads like that), but it's totally optional.

Escrow:

There is a $500 required escrow that is slowly deducted from settlements when you first start until $500 is reached. Honestly, I asked but forget what they actually might use this for, but if/when you part ways it is fully refunded. It also pays interest monthly.

There is a voluntary maintenance escrow available. I'm not part of it so I don't know any details.

All-in-all I average about $200-$300 per week in settlement deductions (including my flatbed rental) with permits/plates and tire purchases making it temporarily higher (more on tha below).

Money:

Landstar uses Comdata. All settlements are deposited to your comdata card weekly based on the day of the week you officially are hired. My day is Friday and by Noon the funds are available to do as I wish. Any BOL's completely submitted by Wednesday afternoon (2 days before your settlement day) will be paid out. I usually leave enough for about a weeks worth of fuel then deposit the rest to my business bank account. Comdata has small transaction fees such as $1.75 to load money onto the card (such as a pretrip advance and your settlement pay) and $1 for bank deposits. Haven't used any comchecks or cash advances so not such on the fees for them.

Dispatch:

This is all you. No one will ever tell you what to do or when to work. Work your butt off, schedule your next 5 loads in advance or just go home and park the truck for a couple months, it's all up to you. You search the load board, make the calls to agents and choose to take a load. Eventually you will build up connections with agents who will call you BEFORE they post something to the load board. These are the best loads. It took about 2 years before I found the right agent with the right loads for me, though I have a couple dozen agents for flatbed loads saved to my contact list that I will try before even looking at the load board. Most loads are direct customers, but there are plenty of agents who post loads from other brokers. While not usually ideal, these loads can be helpful if you find yourself in an area without good direct freight. The loadboard will often appear full of these broker loads - remember the best loads rarely ever get posted to the board and the ones that do are often booked pretty quickly, thus leaving the less desirable loads to sit on the board. Many guys see this and think that everything is crap when in reality they just don't know how to build relationships and sell their business.

Rates:

So, you want to know how much you'll make? Well, there's no easy answer here. Load board posts for brokered loads will typically fall around the DAT average for the area/lane. NOT usually the best freight. Direct customers will vary by contract. But, $3-$4/mi is typical. Once you establish yourself, make some good connections, you'll eventually find the good stuff paying $6-$14/mi, depending on the market and length of haul - shorter hauls typically have high rates per mile. For instance I did a 123mi run from CT into Brooklyn, NYC the other day, 1 stop, hazmat, no tarp, for $1900. I run flatbed but have talked to dryvan guys and gals seeing these rates as well. There's also a healthy heavy haul division that pays just as well as you might expect. I don't do heavy haul (oversize or overweight) so I can't say exactly where those rates average, but they're always higher then the same lanes for legal loads.

That's pretty much it. You do your thing, they pay for passing tractor and trailer DOT inspections every 120-days, submit a record of maintenance every 120-days, pay your 2290 every year, do the occasional random drug test, maintain your CDL and med card and drive safely and they basically leave you alone. If I park the truck for too long they sometimes call to see when I'm coming back since deductions are accruing weekly without revenue, but otherwise it's no-hassle.

Discounts:

TA/Petro offer by-far the biggest fuel discounts when paying with you comdata card. Supposedly Ambest also has good discounts by my experience has shown otherwise. Pilot and Loves discounts are so small they may as well not even exist.

While not strictly Landstar related, with the TA/Petro discounts I typically spend between $800-$1400 / week on fuel. All depends on # of fuel ups, current prices and number of miles that week. Typically I'll run 2,000-2,500 miles between PA and CT/MA/NH/RI/NY/NJ with tank mpg ranging 6.8 on the low end to 8.2 on the high end (about 7.6 average).

Tires can be purchased through Landstar's LCAPP program. Call ahead for approval and give the number to the participating (national tire account) service location and all the costs will be billed to LCAPP/Landstar then taken out as weekly deductions on you settlements. When I replaced my 8 drives over the winter I got m710's and m713's for like $350 to $370 each, then paid $200/week through settlement deduction.

Finally, this may or may not interest you, but Landstar has cross border operations. Both Canada and Mexico. They also have a full facility, I believe in Laredo, dedicated to cross border shipments. This has been a growing sector for the company and I don't see it slowing down under the current government administration. I've been down in Texas a few times and can tell you there is plenty of freight down there, but it also moves fast!

If you're looking to do power only then there are plenty of those loads, or you can pull a company dryvan. Or rent a flatbed or stepdeck and make more money. Lots of options to fit your style. I personally like being left alone to do my thing and that's what drew me to Landstar over other companies and it's why I'm planning to stay here for the foreseeable future.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , barf , Chamberpains , amermextrucker , Pd6cas2 , SquareOne , Snowfarmer
07-18-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
I greatly appreciate the good info Jim.

I contacted LandStar for info seeking since I see them on the road constantly. The send reminders by email also.

Since I’m fresh and new to this and didn’t want to start hopping around, I stuck with the same company I was hauling sand for. They have an OTR division as well. However, I’m starting to see how this trucking thing differs from one company to the next and how the game is played. Sticking with the same company seemed to be the best option as they sold it well. It pays 85% of total ticket. No trailer rental fee. Only have fuel deducted and $240 weekly liability insurance deducted from settlements. I pay $198 additional monthly for bobtail insurance.

So, I hauled for 1 week, then took 3 weeks off. I just returned back and just completed my first haul.

At this point, I’m 50/50 whether I should look for another option or maybe try this a little longer.

My first week was:
$1,814 / 854 miles
$1,900 / 924 miles
$4,275 / 1,287 miles

This load completed today:
$4,800 / 2,280 miles

I feel that I could find another outfit and haul pretty consistent for around $3/mile. However, the percentage for a company at 65% may offset the difference. I’m still putting numbers to paper.

Today is the first time I’ve had to sit and wait. The wait seems uncertain as I’ll get updated info tomorrow morning as to when my next load will be available.
replyreply
07-18-2021, (Subject: Advice to new owner/operator ) 
Nothing wrong with trying something, then switching if it doesn't work out. It's your truck after all. That's one of the drawbacks for those lease-purchase guys, they are usually stuck with the one carrier until the truck is paid off, if they make it that far.

if those numbers are your take home after deductions then your doing pretty good, in my opinion. You'll probably notice that short hauls tend to pay higher rates compared to long hauls. But that usually means more work instead of mindless driving :)

Biggest thing you need to figure out, and noone else can do it besides you, is what your costs or expenses are. How much money do you need to make in a day/week/month to cover all your bills, expenses, taxes, savings to future maintenance, savings for downtime (expected or unexpected) and just general savings. When I first got started I had estimates and over some time I was able to get very exact numbers. I know exactly how much I need to make per day, week and month. In fact, I don't worry about actual cents per mile as fixed weekly/monthly costs make up the bulk of my expenses.

In the end, you find what works best for you, your lifestyle and your bank account.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.