Flywheel housing gasket replacement
01-11-2018, (Subject: Flywheel housing gasket replacement ) 
RE: Flywheel housing gasket replacement
(01-10-2018 )Ragindirt Wrote:  Lost my clutch brake yesterday; dinged up the input shift some, and granny is getting harder to select down to low. 10 speed in truck currently, if synchronizing gear is shot or any other gears I am opting to install a 15, anybody have a name of good eaton shop in the middle of US.

Don't pull 100K but 5 days a week 84K+ through the flint hills.

Losing a clutch brake doesn't mean you need to replace your clutch.
Use an air hammer with a wedge to put a start into the clutch brake, then switch to a nice sharp chisel and cut through the clutch brake. You may need to cut both sides in order to remove it.
Then you can install a "two piece" to replace it.
If you are replacing a clutch, resist the calls from all the "knowitalls" to use a two piece right off the bat. I've made this mistake.
Here is a pic of a used two piece and an Eaton clutch brake.

The reason you should always put in an Eaton one piece when you do a clutch is simple, the one piece has a spring in it that allows it to move, thus reducing the chances of shock loading it and shearing off the two little tabs that lock the clutch brake to the input shaft. A two piece, if the pedal is pressed too far when moving has no cushion and can easily shear off the tabs, thus rendering the brake a useless spacer. A one piece can be "bumped" and should survive where a 2 wouldn't. Yes, we should strive to never do this, but we all know shi#t happens!

Removing a clutch brake is a crappy job and a two piece is a piece of cake compared to a one piece, but the likelihood is smaller.

Obviously, without removing the tranny and clutch, the only option for resolving your issue is cutting out and then installing a two piece...and trust me I will tell your to cut it out and put in a two piece if there is no obvious reason to remove the tranny. This is a 6 pack, $100, and a shower job compared to a whole weekend and hate your life type job of R&Ring a tranny for no reason.

Oh yeah, one other thing; clutch brakes are designed to have grease on them...so if you have the inspection plate off and your c/brake looks dry, go get a wood coffee stir stick and use it to rech up and smear some grease on both side of your c/brake at least once a year...maybe twice. After you do this, when you start your truck for the first time after doing so, immediately fully press your clutch pedal to smear the grease across the whole surface. Doing this will make your c/brake last longer...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDlighttruck , dhirocz , DSTdriver

Messages In This Thread
RE: Flywheel housing gasket replacement - Hammerhead - 01-11-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.