Valve train noise
01-11-2018, (Subject: Valve train noise ) 
RE: Valve train noise
(01-11-2018 )Ragindirt Wrote:  Going to read up about the dimes today and may actually go this route. Just did and overhead and three new injectors a week ago, everything looked good inside head.

Might actually be time to head over to Atlanta with 718K and 26k hours on her. Tranny more then likely will need replacing too. Shock loaded clutch brake Tuesday. Replaced old one with a two piece to get me back home ( why the shop but a two piece on when they installed new clutch last January is crazy), but it was my fault for shock loading it.
Pulling hills in a turn high to low range got hung up and probably pressed clutch down to far in an attempt to recover gear selection.
Would say 70% time now I have to come to a complete stop just to get high side to fall into low, and cycle clutch the entire stroke. Also have a serious vibration in stick plus 4&5 getting harder to use.

Ok, so you've replaced the clutch brake and you're still having the problem you're describing here?
The only time a clutch brake does anything is when you're stopped, and the truck is running in neutral and you're about to start moving. You press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to get the shafts inside the tranny to stop spinning so you can select a gear. A c/brake has NOTHING to do with transmission operation.

With what you're describing above here I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
If the transmission is having issues going from hi to lo range, you have an entirely different problem all together.
Does your transmission "grind" the gears when going from low range to hi? And vice versa but slams into low hard?
If the answer to this question is yes, then your problem lies inside the tranny, your synchro is done. As long as none of the main gears have been damaged, then this can be repaired without having removing the tranny, the bolts that hold the back portion of the tranny can be removed and the syncro is in this back portion. Based on what I'm guessing you're describing here and when/where/how it happened, I suspect this is your problem. If this is what is wrong, continuing to operate the truck in this condition is risking your whole tranny. If a broken piece somehow gets into a set of engaged gears, BOOM, do not pass Go, Go directly to tow truck and have him take you to tranny shop...and possibly no core...
If the answer is no, then check this.
Step 1, verify the governor on the back of the transmission is supplying air pressure in the correct range. (Iirc 55-59psi)
Step 2, verify that the are no air leaks in the transmission lines, from the governor to the range selector, from the range selector to the valve on the shift lever, etc. Air pressure is governed lower for tranny function, so small leaks have a larger impact than you may think.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Valve train noise - Ragindirt - 01-10-2018,
RE: Valve train noise - Hammerhead - 01-11-2018
RE: Valve train noise - Magard - 01-12-2018,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.