Authority Pros & Cons
06-09-2018, (Subject: Authority Pros & Cons ) 
RE: Authority Pros & Cons
(06-09-2018 )rrod Wrote:  
(06-01-2018 )simon999 Wrote:  First three to six months are hard because some brokers wont give loads. But after that you good.

I wonder if this article is good sign for someone wanting to start with his own authority now.

With Truckers in Control, Money Talks and Toilets Sparkle

Nestle has it down, at least here in Michigan. I primarily haul automotive, but we have one customer near a Nestle water plant here in MI. They are always good for a way out when up that way and it pays enough to not make us bitch. $1000 for 220 miles, something along those lines. I have only been there once, in and out in 40 minutes. Yes, it was a 40,000 lb load, but what the heck, it was down the street and got me back to the real freight.

Is it a good sign? My rates were up 30%+ prior to my adventure in becoming a diesel mechanic. Would I run out and get my own authority right now? No way. I do to good where I am at with ZERO headaches. Been there and done that, and fuel is the going to continue to go up. Factor that in with time to pay. I have no idea what the factoring outfits are doing right now, but you will pay the VIG.

Right now, the carrier I am leased to has 3 million in cargo and liability, supplies a new trailer and no fees anywhere to speak of. They take 30% and I get 70%. Their trailer breaks, they send a truck to fix it. My IFTA, I record the miles, they take roughly $20 a quarter out of my pay for that.

Yes, I pay my own 2290 and plates, another say $2800 a year. But, it is my plate, and the rates are good enough not to worry about it.

I have been down for three months as of now with this truck of mine. I still have a job, and am not concerned. My own authority, I would not would have been able to do any of this, especially not with a $3 million dollar cargo and liability account hanging over my head. A guy with one truck does not just write a check for that policy. At least not a guy with an EPA truck... ;-)

Step lightly, don't get trapped in all of this excitement, been there and done that, because it is just like the oil fields, BOOM! And then BUST. :-(
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Otterinthewater , rrod

Messages In This Thread
Authority Pros & Cons - AHMLLC - 05-31-2018,
RE: Authority Pros & Cons - Waterloo - 06-09-2018

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.