Camshaft and rockers
02-20-2019, (Subject: Camshaft and rockers ) 
Camshaft and rockers
Been seeing all these camshaft and rocker failures all over here, Facebook and other public forums and cannot help but wonder what the frick is going on.

No particular Isx seems to be immune to this problem, wether it is a dual or single cam.

A lot of the pundits claim that bad maintenance i.e., to long of oil change interval, not adjusting valves are to blame. Totally preventable in these circumstances

Low oil pressure seems like a reasonable cause, along with dirty oil and tight valves. Again totally preventable.

My question is why isn’t the rebuilding mechanic doing a Rockwell test on the camshafts to check for hardness of the face and compatibility with the rockers beforehand?

What about having the camshaft parkerized or some other type of treatment to aid this what seems ridiculous failure rate.

Camshaft failures have been around as long as camshafts. Just throwing in another camshaft and hoping you got a “good one” just seems basically lazy to me. There has to be solution that severely slows down the failure rate.

Let’s all learn something and discuss some options.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
Camshaft and rockers - redbeard - 02-20-2019

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.