5.9 no power but a story to go with it.
07-08-2016, (Subject: 5.9 no power but a story to go with it. ) 
5.9 no power but a story to go with it.
Short version, 2002 24 valve 5.9 all stock, lent it (first mistake) guy put gas in it (a lot) drove 200 yards and shut it off to go pay. Came out and it would not start. Flat decked home looked it over, everything I read and went through such as fuel pressure checks I settled on it was the VP44 failed. I left till spring (8 months.....long winter) Decided to put a new pump on, while pulling old one off discovered the gas, drained all out and put diesel back in it. Put OLD pump on, now here is where it gets interesting, Turns out pump was changed by Stealer under warranty unknown to anyone. It has a reman pump on it. Wood-ruff key is very damaged from miss-alignment when the dealer installed it few years previous. Everything I have read says truck should have thrown codes or started hard or whatever, not so, worked great. New key (proper one from Bosch with proper offset) and installed properly in gear key-way. Truck started up and runs perfect, idles, revs and starts with no issues. Problem is no power and black smoke. I did discover that the waste gate was stuck from sitting but I fixed that.

So now that pump is installed correctly, no power....I don't get it. I have changed fuel and air filters, I really have a hard time thinking Inj pump is bad, it worked perfect before, so no reason to think it is bad now. Everything and everyone I talk to say gas wont hurt it, just wont run and it didn't. What else can it be? boost leak? I can hear turbo spool up, It seems to rev to 2000 RPM and die off, seems to have power or more power in higher gears when revs are low. Is it possible for a dealer to change ECU or timing to make up for the miss-aligned key in the Inj pump? For instance if they started it up and it worked crappy could they compensate somehow and now back to original its off? Any suggestions? I live in the boonies and there is no sense to take to a dealer as they will start throwing parts at it until there are no parts left in their warehouse or I am bankrupt or whatever comes first.

Any direction, suggestions much appreciated. I plan on checking for boost leaks, make sur MAP didn't get unplugged ar the Cam position sensor, I can't imagine that but anything possible. I am up against it here. I KNOW there is someone here that knows where to look. Thanks and yes that is the short version!
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
5.9 no power but a story to go with it. - Cholmes - 07-08-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.