Radiator conversion
05-04-2023, (Subject: Radiator conversion ) 
RE: Radiator conversion
Yes, I have replaced several of them.

The OEM uses crimp style because they make the header tanks out of plastic, have for quite a few years. They're cheaper to make, faster to assemble, and "lighter", but not by enough to be concerned about IMHO. They also use aluminum cores, again lighter, but also less efficient.
These are disposable radiators. I have never seen a crimped rad properly resealed or last more than 6 months.

If you can source a quality replacement, definitely go this route.

For the best you can get, what you are looking for is:
-Brass header tanks
-Copper core - hard to find, not cheap, FULLY serviceable
-Dimple core - if possible, the dimple in the core tubes creates turbulence in the coolant flow, increasing coolant to surface contact, resulting in better cooling

Not sure where you're located, but I'm in AB Canada and can recommend a place here if you're in the area.
Others may have recommendations from other locations as well.

<i>Info FWIW
I had debris take out my rad about 7 years ago on a long way from home, and the only immediate available option was from Detroit Radiator. It did not fit my T800W without modification, and only lasted 2 years.</i>

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Rawze , Smiling lemon , Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Radiator conversion - Hammerhead - 05-04-2023

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.